Farm Chains

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I was thinking more along the lines if he was trying to yank and drag stuff with the tractor. A link can stretch out and bust, just ask my dad and brother who had a transport chain break on them and wrapped them both in the shins.

Just throwing a little caution to the wind with chains.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
You'll need a snatch-hook to take up slack in the chain.

Buy two grab-hooks sized to match your chain. My suggestion in this case is to buy premium brands. One hook should have a female clevis to attach to a chain, the other hook should have an eye.

Fit the two hooks together with the eye of one hook between the ears of the clevis on the other. I make mine with the hooks facing different directions but some like the hooks facing same way.

Use a Grade-8 bolt of the largest diameter possible and make the length such that the nut when tightened down to the shank allows the hooks to swivel. Cut off the excess bolt length and peen. Don't weld Gr-8 to retain maximum strength.

You can do the same thing with three links of chain between the hooks, but you'll wish it were shorter more often than not.

Paint the snatch hook bright safety yellow or Kubota orange so you can see it and find it when dropped in tall grass or when run over and mashed into the soil.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Look up the posts on welding hooks on buckets.

As with any lifting, always do the job like the chain will break. I am amazed at how much pull a standard small chain can take.

Another risk that may come about lifting stuff with the bucket is tractor tipping over with the load too high. It doesn't take a lot of slope to the land and some easy tipping can occur. Even though the load is near the ground, if the bucket is high, it ain't safe.

wolfalalone

Equipment
L3800DT,FEL,BB1260,RCR1260
Aug 7, 2013
Dickson,TN
You'll need a snatch-hook to take up slack in the chain.

Buy two grab-hooks sized to match your chain. My suggestion in this case is to buy premium brands. One hook should have a female clevis to attach to a chain, the other hook should have an eye.

Fit the two hooks together with the eye of one hook between the ears of the clevis on the other. I make mine with the hooks facing different directions but some like the hooks facing same way.

Use a Grade-8 bolt of the largest diameter possible and make the length such that the nut when tightened down to the shank allows the hooks to swivel. Cut off the excess bolt length and peen. Don't weld Gr-8 to retain maximum strength.

You can do the same thing with three links of chain between the hooks, but you'll wish it were shorter more often than not.

Paint the snatch hook bright safety yellow or Kubota orange so you can see it and find it when dropped in tall grass or when run over and mashed into the soil.
Stubbyie can you show a picture of that?

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Re: Snatch Hook w/ Chains

Thanks for your interest in my post.

Don't have access at the moment to get a photo of a snatch hook we use on the place.

Use this jpg as an idea: using this clevis, just add two hooks. It will be a little different from my written description but will provide an idea how the hooks fit together.

Without the clevis, just fit the two hooks together----if you have one hook with a half-clevis and the other hook has an eye, then you're in business.

You can add a couple links of chain to keep the twisting under control when in use---or use a 'pear'- or 'D'-ring or a screw-type shackle to make any hook arrangement you want.

See websites for AWDirect or Campbell Mfg or Peerless Chain for all sorts of handy supplemental chain attachments.

When assembling, always use Grade-8 or harder bolts and make sure the hooks rotate on the bolt shank, not in the threads.

Post back how you proceed and your own ideas so we may all learn.

Attachments

FTG-05

Equipment
L4330 w/FEL, RTV-XG850 and ZD326S
Jul 21, 2013
TN
Grade 70, unless you're using it for overhead lifting, then it's Grade 80 or 100. Don't mess around with lesser grade, it's not worth it.

Good luck.

FTG-05

Equipment
L4330 w/FEL, RTV-XG850 and ZD326S
Jul 21, 2013
TN
AWDirect is a good company, I've ordered a bunch of stuff from them over the years.

About a $30 difference between Grade 80 vs. Grade 70. Worth it if the use was overhead lifting; if not, no.

Ironhorse

Equipment
BX25D, Piranha tooth bar, Landpride chipper, LP PHD
Aug 9, 2013
Montana