Fair price for a 2008 L3400?

Floydy

Jan 26, 2022
TN
Hi Everyone,

Newby here with very little tractor experience looking for some advice.

I'm wondering if $20,000 is a fair price for a 2008 L3400 with 170 hours? The tractor comes with a Bushhog brand cutter in very good condition, L463 loader with quick attach bucket, pallet forks, box blade and 12" auger. Its a private sale and the seller seems genuine to me. The machine looks to be in good condition overall including tires with the only visible fault being fading of the paint on the hood.

I've been looking at newer 25HP machines from JD and Kubota for the same price but would need to add the cutter and box blade to most that are currently for sale. I do like the idea of the extra HP on this one for my application but I worry that it is a little old for $20K.

Appreciate your thoughts!

Last edited:

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I am not familiar with that model but I assume it is pre DPF?…someone will chime in I’m sure. To me that is a plus. Low hours. - check. Extra implements - check. Maintence logs? Can you see and let it run or use for a long enough it can warm up and see if any leaks? I think if looking at total package in today’s reality it’s not aweful. I’d wonder are all the hydraulic lines in good shape? I’m not sure about life of the hydraulic pumps so maybe someone chime in there? Pull the dipsticks? I think if low hours and extras it would easily be worth the original MSRP if in good working order . I am not sure what that was but I bet google or Siri can help. In general for a diesel it’s not be used much. Think about the hours it takes to log 100k miles. That’s not scratching the surface for a diesel in my opinion. I think if you can run it for 30 minutes or so, use your eyes ears and nose when operating…try it out run loader rear end everything. It’s probably worth a look. I don’t believe you could buy near new price for that. I think it’s worth a look if working a drive to you. Be careful not to share the listing or the address on this site until you look for yourself…could be some creepers looking for a deal themselves. 😉

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
What type of tires? Ag or Industrial - Industrial most likely.

L3400 HST $14k (These are all "new" prices in 2008 - est.)
Cutter $2k (depending on how nice)
L463 loader with quick attach $4k (with bucket)
pallet forks $600
box blade $600
12" auger $500

IF it sat outside the whole time, I would walk away.

It's high but in today's market, not so bad?!!?

Look at the sight glass (by left foot - at floor board) Make sure it's not Milky color. There's very little hours but that might not be a good thing...

Does it have "XtraPower" sticker on the side of the engine??? If not it might be a 2007.

Last edited:

Floydy

Jan 26, 2022
TN

pallet forks $600
box blade $600
12" auger $500

Look at the sight glass (by left foot - at floor board) Make sure it's not Milky color. There's very little hours but that might not be a good thing...

Does it have "XtraPower" sticker on the side of the engine??? If not it might be a 2007.
Yes, R4's in good condition. It does have the XtraPower sticker. Not outside but stored in a three sided barn with sun part of the day that has faded the hood. Vinyl, plastics and clear lenses are not faded, milky or cracked. I do wonder about rubber hoses?? Good advice!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That's not an old Kubota!
I have old Kubota's, and they still hold their value!
That's a little high but still a fair value, especially for those low of hours!
Heck that tractor isn't even broken in yet!

Reactions: 1 user

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I think that's a good price. My neighbor has a L3400, and he seems to like it a lot. MSRP on an L2501 is over $20K for just just the tractor and FEL. The implements are a few thousand dollars. Hours wise, 170 is nothing. Mine has almost half that much, and I've only had my L2501 for just under 1 year.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
If you have the funds............ bring him the 20K..........

show him the 18.5k .................. he haggles.............. 19k.........

WHEN he sees all that money- the brain does crazy things........ trust me BTDT 100's times.

EVEN IF YOU pay the 20k.......... as others have said, might be high now - but go ahead and wait, and you will see where the adage came from " bird in hand is worth two in the bush"

IN these crazy times - you buy it tomorrow, it will be 18 months down the road BEFORE the deal comes back around again, and you'll will already have 150 hours on THIS machine.

And here is the kicker ........

you will ask yourself after one month ............. "how the hell did I do things WITHOUT this machine?" with a huge grin on your face.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I do wonder about rubber hoses?? Good advice!
That brings up a good point. Are you willing and able to turn a wrench? And what will a breakdown cost you? To find a non-DPF tractor that size with low hours is a bonus. But it will probably need some maintenance before a new one would (except for initial break-in fluid/filter change).
Heat and sunlight are rubber and plastic's worst enemies, so if it's been kept out of the sun, I'd guess you have several years life left on the hoses.
I'm not trying to scare you off. I bought a 2004? tractor about 2 years ago with 2100? hours on it. It had spent most of its life outside, I suspect. My livelihood doesn't depend on it. My breakdowns have been mostly hydraulic hose failures. I'm fairly handy, and started doing them as they failed. Finally, when the first loader hose went I replaced them all. I figured they were all in the same condition. The fluid loss ($25 - 30/gal) and extra time and trouble to clean up after each repair swayed my decision. Oh, and I found local hose sources were expensive and unreliable,

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

pallet forks $600
box blade $600
12" auger $500

"if it sat outside the whole time, I would walk away".

In my opinion that statement is a bit too blunt.
I bought a 251 hour 2006 L48 TLB that sat outside for the 1st 13 years of it's life.
It was in Maine, and apparently usually parked under several big spruce trees.
May have been occasionally covered with a tarp.

I was able to rub out much of the fading paint, but did decide to respray (Valspar real paint with hardener, not rattle can crap) the ROPS roof, fenders, and several smaller parts.
Sandblasted, epoxy primed, and resprayed, the inside & outside of both buckets
I also replaced the seat, as it was torn.
Hydraulic hose fabric sleeves were faded, but I recolored them with a 2 cans of Duplicolor HVP106 black vinyl/fabric spray. All hoses had the fabric protective sleeves.

The machine is my (homeowner) pride and joy.
There is no anti pollution crap on an L48!

The 251 hour 2006 L48 TLB that I bought, is now (from all current indications) worth at least $10K more than I paid 3 years prior (admittedly these are crazy times).

The tractor looks very sharp, blocked up in my cold New England barn, with it's battery minder attached, ...........while it awaits my return from a comfy Winter in Florida.

Last edited:

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
If you only need a 25 HP tractor get a new one. You will have a warranty, advantageous zero interest financing, a happy dealer that will help with potential issues, and you will use less fuel. Possibly better resale and better parts availability as well. The additional HP of the used unit may be a detriment. I say get the new one.

Last edited:

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Back in 2014 I bought a 2012 L4600 with 176 hours on it for $17,500.

Had loader, R4 tires, gear drive with a small repaired dent in the hood. It had been kept in a barn but needed some attention. I took 3 days to clean it up, service and my cover photo shows it shortly after.

It was local to me about 10 miles away. He paid $23,500 for it, I have the bill of sale.

At that time I wanted a L3800 gear drive with loader and the going price then for what I could find in NC and SC was in that price range. I went with the L4600 because it was local and bigger is always better:) was just the better deal.

So, in todays market as suggested above offer 18K buy it for 19K if you have to but seems very fair and it being hydro with the implements if that's a desire makes it sweater. I was looking gear drives and the price back then was similar

My uncle has a 2001 L3400 gear drive with 1K hours on it and it looks bad but she is still a solid tractor and serves his small farm well.

Best of luck shopping.

Jay

Floydy

Jan 26, 2022
TN
If you have the funds............ bring him the 20K..........

show him the 18.5k .................. he haggles.............. 19k.........

WHEN he sees all that money- the brain does crazy things........ trust me BTDT 100's times.

EVEN IF YOU pay the 20k.......... as others have said, might be high now - but go ahead and wait, and you will see where the adage came from " bird in hand is worth two in the bush"

IN these crazy times - you buy it tomorrow, it will be 18 months down the road BEFORE the deal comes back around again, and you'll will already have 150 hours on THIS machine.

And here is the kicker ........

you will ask yourself after one month ............. "how the hell did I do things WITHOUT this machine?" with a huge grin on your face.
I like this idea. I am am paying cash anyhow.

Floydy

Jan 26, 2022
TN
That brings up a good point. Are you willing and able to turn a wrench? And what will a breakdown cost you? To find a non-DPF tractor that size with low hours is a bonus. But it will probably need some maintenance before a new one would (except for initial break-in fluid/filter change).
Heat and sunlight are rubber and plastic's worst enemies, so if it's been kept out of the sun, I'd guess you have several years life left on the hoses.
I'm not trying to scare you off. I bought a 2004? tractor about 2 years ago with 2100? hours on it. It had spent most of its life outside, I suspect. My livelihood doesn't depend on it. My breakdowns have been mostly hydraulic hose failures. I'm fairly handy, and started doing them as they failed. Finally, when the first loader hose went I replaced them all. I figured they were all in the same condition. The fluid loss ($25 - 30/gal) and extra time and trouble to clean up after each repair swayed my decision. Oh, and I found local hose sources were expensive and unreliable,
I think your point touches on the core of my concern. Hours and age are very different things when it comes to deterioration and likely need for maintenance. Clearly the hours are very low which means the motor and mechanical moving parts haven't done any work but 14 years is still 14 years and seals dry out, rubber cracks, bearings go dry, critters inhabit warm places etc. I guess my original question would have been better asked as "Is a 2008 tractor with low hours likely to need much maintenance?" When it comes to turning a wrench willing and able are two different things for me. Able? - yes. Willing? - no. I am half way through restoring a C3 Corvette and trying to build a house myself. I would have very little patience for another "project".

Floydy

Jan 26, 2022
TN
Wanted to take moment to appreciate the time and thoughtfulness of everyone's answers. Very much appreciated, and very helpful to me. So often on forums you get cynical or throwaway responses. Here we have people genuinely trying to help!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Wanted to take moment to appreciate the time and thoughtfulness of everyone's answers. Very much appreciated, and very helpful to me. So often on forums you get cynical or throwaway responses. Here we have people genuinely trying to help!

;) Only thing else we require............... pictures of your new to you machine!!!