Factory Battery

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
My L3800 I bought new in May 2013 I believe. I know in cars and trucks the factory batteries can last 6 or 8 years. But I've never seen a aftermarket battery to be as good and last as long as the factory battery. I do plug my tractor in if I'm gonna need to start it that day in cold weather. Like 20*F or colder. But I'm curious as the life span to most Kubota batteries ? And what have folks bought for a aftermarket battery ?

Hook

Equipment
L3240 with LA514 FEL, Box Blade, Howard Rotovator, All Purpose Plow, Sub Soiler
Jul 6, 2010
Jackson, Georgia
My 2008 L3240 still has the original battery.

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
Battery life expectancy is generally all over the board. I usually get 5 - 6 years out of a tractor battery. I just replaced my Kubota battery after about 6 years. The last one was still starting the tractor on first try. If not it would rapidly lose power. I have had car batteries last anywhere from 2 months to 7 years. I just replaced my truck battery due to a shorted cell after 2 1/2 years. The original battery in my riding lawn mower lasted an astonishing 17 years.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Still have the original in my 13 L3200. Still starts fine. Are you having a problem with yours or just getting prepared?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Both my Yuhasa's lasted 8 years just about the same on both actually. Got weak so I replaced them both with Delphi starting batteries, in my case Group 31's with 1250 CCA.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The last two batteries I bought lasted until they were stolen! Sneak thieves cut the battery cables on both tractors to get the batteries quicker.

But I have had an original Kubota battery last 9 years in a B8200.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Yuhasa Yumicron batteries are excellent batteries. I use them in my motorcycles as well. Very long lasting and dependable. I got the Delphi's because I get a hefty employee discount from Freightliner that makes the cost very low. Think I paid around 60 bucks each for them.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
It seems keeping the battery on a trickle charger during the winter is popular (some call it a battery tender). Not sure if it really helps, but electrically it makes sense.

You can of course check the output of your batteries to see if it dips below mfg specs. If cells are dead the output will be lower.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I think someone asked same question a couple months ago? Some lasted a long time.

My 2013 BX has original battery. Tender on winter.

I would probably replace from dealer when the time comes. Not many (good) options for aftermarket around here.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Are the batteries you get at a kubota dealer the same ones that come in it from the factory? I ask because I am also a Mazda tech as well, they come from Japan with Panasonic batteries in them, replacement batteries come from our local interstate dealer and they just put Mazda stickers on them. Have heard it’s the same for most other import cars as well. When my time comes I will probably get a motorcraft battery for mine,have had the best luck with them personally, and I get a good price on them thru work.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Are the batteries you get at a kubota dealer the same ones that come in it from the factory?
I'm not sure...If it's an Interstate or similar, maybe I can get it somewhere else...of course, Kubota doesn't make them, so it's somebody's battery. Like I said before, my options for even an aftermarket are limited.

Good point.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Couple things on a flooded cell battery that most folks don't know...

1. When the battery is wet charged (electrolyte added), it begins it's life even sitting on a rack somewhere. ll flooded cell batteries will eventually succumb to sulfation and the lead sulphate will eventually short the plates rendering the battery shot.

Consequently, always buy your storage batteries from a volume dealer with high turnover, not the local auto parts store where the battery has been sitting on a shelf collecting dust. It's living out it's productive lifespan waiting for you to buy it.

2. Always check the electrolyte level (even in a maintenance free battery because charge and discharge cycles will decrease the electrolyte level, more in a non maintenance free battery than the other but it still evaporates.

Never use tap water to top off any battery, always distilled because tap water contains minerals that can accelerate the sulfation and eventually short the plates.

3. Always trickle charge a new battery to bring it to full charge before placing in service and clean the battery terminals and clamps of all oxide before connecting and if possible use a protective spray or di-electric grease on the terminals.

Far as batteries go, Interstate is a good choice. I run Interstate starting batteries in my diesel pickups and they last and last. Dekka is also a good one as is Crown. I stay away from the branded ones like from autozone and Walmart. Not saying they are lesser quality, I just know the good ones and no point in a no start when you need a start. Never heard of any dealership putting OEM stickers on a battery but I guess anything is possible.

If you are set on Motorcraft just makes sure the battery top isn't dusty when you buy it. Sure sign it's been sitting a while and it's life is ticking away...

Batteries are funny things. People don't pay any attention to them until they poop out. No battery, no go.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
My local Kubby dealer (Carelton Farm Supply) carries Yuhasa (OEM choice) batteries and Interstate but I don't buy from him because of his low turnover.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Actually, your best bet on any battery is a dry charged one. The battery ships dry with an electrolyte pack and you add electrolyte and trickle charge before placing in service. That is the freshest battery you can get and the longest lifespan. Problem is, dry charged batteries are hard to fine today because electrolyte is a haz mat substance. Sulfuric acid can burn you, blind you and eat your clothing up. I have a nice scar on the back of my left hand from a sulfuric acid burn, got electrolyte on there and didn't realize t until I felt it. Too late then.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Original battery on my L3800 gave out recently. Replacement is not the same as the original. Because the dealer is a hike, I looked into John Deere batteries and found one that is supposedly built for construction equipment. It's in there now and we will see.

Original Kubota battery was really good. When it went it was what we call "graceful degradation" as it never went completely dead and was slowly losing starting power.

Unlike the fuel pump in my Ford pickup which died without warning in the middle of the bell curve at 130,000 miles.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Original battery on my L3800 gave out recently. Replacement is not the same as the original. Because the dealer is a hike, I looked into John Deere batteries and found one that is supposedly built for construction equipment. It's in there now and we will see.

Original Kubota battery was really good. When it went it was what we call "graceful degradation" as it never went completely dead and was slowly losing starting power.

Unlike the fuel pump in my Ford pickup which died without warning in the middle of the bell curve at 130,000 miles.

Is it green???:)