Excellent execution...... of a bad idea

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
One of my first projects after getting my tractor was to modify my ballast box.

I decided to fill it with a combo of my trucks clapped out Dual Mass Flywheel and concrete. (y)

Then I welded on a bunch of tool holders made from the scrap pile and a few purchased 2" receivers for mounting things like a vice and a lower one for a trailer hitch ball. (y)

Then I got the "great idea" of attaching some casters to be able to push it around the shop and since I was going full throttle, why not some ammo cans for chains?(y)

Everything has worked out so far, EXCEPT for the casters. (n)

The very first time I took it out, I almost immediately forgot to raise it up high enough and backed up. It ripped those caster off in less than 2 seconds and bent the hell out of the frame. :oops:

I didn't even get a picture of it with the casters on. LOL

Attachments

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 5 users

tbk5

Equipment
L3710, L3010, ZD1211, RTV900xt, GR2100, lots of 3pt equipment
Sep 24, 2013
Central AL
No worries. First time was just practice, yeah, pilot test, see... Now you can fix it up nicely! :sneaky:

Would love to see a pic of the other add-ons!

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
No worries. First time was just practice, yeah, pilot test, see... Now you can fix it up nicely! :sneaky:

Would love to see a pic of the other add-ons!
Ask and yee shall receive.

I put 2 ammo cans on the caster frame, 1 for 10Ft chains and the other for 20 footers. (I have yet to need a 20 footer, but what the hell)

Then I had about a foot of square tubing in the scrap pile, so I cut them into 2 inch long pieces and strategically welded them so that the tools "shouldn't" bounce out, and so far they haven't. (If I did this again, I would make them 3/4" long and weld more of them on.....Hindsight is 20/20)

Then I put another 2" receiver at the top, and welded up a work plate to mount a Chi-Com vice to sharpen my chainsaw in the field..( My current logging operation is a whopping 35 feet from my pole barn... 😂 😂 😂 .....but I liked the idea)

and pictured is my current dolly system after the failed "built in caster" was destroyed. I love them 6" casters!!!!!!

Paul

20230221_102833[1].jpg
20230221_102649[1].jpg

20230221_102702[1].jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Don’t mount the castors to the box, just set box on there when not in use.

Also, interesting rotary cutter storage.

Reactions: 1 users

tbk5

Equipment
L3710, L3010, ZD1211, RTV900xt, GR2100, lots of 3pt equipment
Sep 24, 2013
Central AL
Ask and yee shall receive.

I put 2 ammo cans on the caster frame, 1 for 10Ft chains and the other for 20 footers. (I have yet to need a 20 footer, but what the hell)

Then I had about a foot of square tubing in the scrap pile, so I cut them into 2 inch long pieces and strategically welded them so that the tools "shouldn't" bounce out, and so far they haven't. (If I did this again, I would make them 3/4" long and weld more of them on.....Hindsight is 20/20)

Then I put another 2" receiver at the top, and welded up a work plate to mount a Chi-Com vice to sharpen my chainsaw in the field..( My current logging operation is a whopping 35 feet from my pole barn... 😂 😂 😂 .....but I liked the idea)

and pictured is my current dolly system after the failed "built in caster" was destroyed. I love them 6" casters!!!!!!

Paul
Nice. You have me thinking....

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Need more info & pics on storing the cutter like that.
I only have one pic of it, besides being in background shots, because I'm not really all that proud of it.

Is just 2 upright 4x4's with triple 2x6"s (nailed and glued together) and the top corners are "gusseted" or 'sandwiched' using plywood (also nailed and glued). Then I tied it to the building to give it "fore and aft" rigidity.

Honestly it's an absolute PITA to get it up there. If I had to access it on a regular basis, I would find a different way to store it.

The problem is the length. It is awkward as hell.

I have to pic it up with the tip of my forks, and to avoid dragging it across the concrete, I have to move the tractor as I lift it being careful not 'bump' it so it doesn't slid down the forks and smash the front of the tractor.

I originally use a 1 ton HF chain fall to hoist it up there, but the wonky angle dragged it and tensioned the chain fall to the point that it snapped the chain. (A$$hole pucker factor of 10+ )

I'm either going to scrap it, or make some sort of attachment that makes it possible to "safely" put it up there.

Paul

20230221_100848[1].jpg
20230221_094720[1].jpg

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
One of my first projects after getting my tractor was to modify my ballast box.

I decided to fill it with a combo of my trucks clapped out Dual Mass Flywheel and concrete. (y)

Then I welded on a bunch of tool holders made from the scrap pile and a few purchased 2" receivers for mounting things like a vice and a lower one for a trailer hitch ball. (y)

Then I got the "great idea" of attaching some casters to be able to push it around the shop and since I was going full throttle, why not some ammo cans for chains?(y)

Everything has worked out so far, EXCEPT for the casters. (n)

The very first time I took it out, I almost immediately forgot to raise it up high enough and backed up. It ripped those caster off in less than 2 seconds and bent the hell out of the frame. :oops:

I didn't even get a picture of it with the casters on. LOL
At least you mounted the casters with small hardware so you have built in shear pins! ;)

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
You related to Rube Goldberg? 😉
That’s a pretty cool weight box I must admit!

itsaz

Equipment
BX2670, FEL, Box Blade, Wood Chipper, Rotary Cutter
Oct 14, 2016
Wichita Falls, TX
I only have one pic of it, besides being in background shots, because I'm not really all that proud of it.

Is just 2 upright 4x4's with triple 2x6"s (nailed and glued together) and the top corners are "gusseted" or 'sandwiched' using plywood (also nailed and glued). Then I tied it to the building to give it "fore and aft" rigidity.

Honestly it's an absolute PITA to get it up there. If I had to access it on a regular basis, I would find a different way to store it.

I have to pic it up with the tip of my forks, and to avoid dragging it across the concrete, I have to move the tractor as I lift it being careful not 'bump' it so it doesn't slid down the forks and smash the front of the tractor.

I originally use a 1 ton HF chain fall to hoist it up there, but the wonky angle dragged it and tensioned the chain fall to the point that it snapped the chain. (A$$hole pucker factor of 10+ )

I'm either going to scrap it, or make some sort of attachment that makes it possible to "safely" put it up there.

Paul

View attachment 102176 View attachment 102177
Thanks for the info. Getting it up in the air like that has got to be nerve wracking, but sure saves floor space!

BTW, nice Trump flag!

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia

Paul

View attachment 102176 View attachment 102177
Leave the cutter outside?
Set it on some dollies so at least you can roll it around?

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
I had a car dolly that I stored in a similar fashion. Had 4x4 about 1.5 feet out from the wall that were bolted to the cement floor, that the ramps would butt up against. A boat winch bolt to the wall at waist level(out far enough to turn handle) with a pulley about 10 feet up. Then the cable would go a eyelet that I mounted on the tongue. When the dolly was vertical I would hook the trailer safety chains to a couple of hooks in the wall stud. Sorry no pictures of this as it was at the old auto repair shop(20 years ago). The dolly was safely inside and mostly out of the way. It only took about 5 minutes to lower it down(once everything that got hung on it removed).

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
heck, I'd like to know is that an 18HP Kohler 42" decked hydrostatic TroyBilt. If so I picked up the 'twin' to it last weekend. 'starts/runs fine,won't go forward or back' in the ad. Drives fine for me after I put the belt back on AND replaced TWO of the missing engine mounting bolts......

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.
I'd put sklds on the bottom no casters. So incase you forget to raise it agen. ( like we all do ) And just use your wood dolly in the pictures. I use a homemade land plain with all the add-ons for tools & chains water tank for WT. there are 4 pipes welded in front of tank 3”x 1’ tall to hold tools

Attachments