EverythingMoneyAttachments. All the money up front?

DDCD

Equipment
1964 MF135, L2501
May 8, 2021
Oklahoma
I know Travis at EA has read this thread...because he told me he did when I bought mine. I think they would want to prevent some bad PR even if it might only cost them a few orders. I've read some "EA response" messages in the reviews on their site for various implements and it seems like they always pick up/return implements that customers complain about, or try to make it right.

River19

Equipment
B2601, RB1560, BB1260 and BX2830 blower
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
Well, crap that sucks. Clearly that is unacceptable and needs to be made right.

That being said, before everyone crucifies the company they should be allowed a reasonable time to respond. If the response is "damn, sorry, we will take it back and ship you a new one ASAP, keep the existing one to use until the new one arrives then ship it back at our cost." Then no harm no foul, stinks but it happens in business (although a basic QC should have caught that).

If they do anything less than that, then I think whatever internet abuse they take is most likely deserved. Just my $0.02

Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Well, crap that sucks. Clearly that is unacceptable and needs to be made right.

That being said, before everyone crucifies the company they should be allowed a reasonable time to respond. If the response is "damn, sorry, we will take it back and ship you a new one ASAP, keep the existing one to use until the new one arrives then ship it back at our cost." Then no harm no foul, stinks but it happens in business (although a basic QC should have caught that).

If they do anything less than that, then I think whatever internet abuse they take is most likely deserved. Just my $0.02
I think they should have Inspected their own product before shipping it out in the hopes the customer will overlook such a glaringly defective product. Or… perhaps they DID…. either of which says volumes about them.
Any claim such as they supposedly made that it is a natural result of mfr’g and/or welding processes.…. would only confirm they do not strive for improvement and have a low expectation of their own work. It also says they think their customers are fools with (hopefully) equally low standards.
Does it say anything about honesty? considering their advertsising claims of high-quality?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I finished up modifying the Wicked 60 hoses by adding nylon sleeves and despite a bit of a cluster getting it off the trailer and onto the MX I was able to verify fit and function. The grapple looks to be dead straight as far as I can tell and it's FAST. By that I mean the lid operation is fast, and way faster than the LP grapple lid was on my BX. I also cut down three of the six bolts that secure the hoses in the c-channel. For some reason three were longer than needed i.e. mismatched.

ea_wicked_60_16.jpg

ea_wicked_60_17.jpg

ea_wicked_60_18.jpg

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
That’s a good job!

I notice the grapple is constructed using less-expensive externally-bolted cylinders.

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Here are veiws of the lid as photographed from the operator's seat. It looks to be very straight to me.

ea_wicked_60_19.jpg

ea_wicked_60_20.jpg

ea_wicked_60_21.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
I have a difficult time looking at your grapple with that beautiful horizon out there…. :love:

Yep…that does look like it should.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Here are a few more photos. I'm pleased with the grapple now and will put it to good use. My experience although mostly positive doesn't let EA off the hook. If they're a good company they'll fix what's not right and go above and beyond for the customer. Eliminating sharp edges which cut hoses, replacing the entire grapple or sending a new lid to @MidwestGuy and sending me a couple of replacement hoses would be a good start.

ea_wicked_60_22.jpg

ea_wicked_60_23.jpg

ea_wicked_60_24.jpg

ea_wicked_60_25.jpg

ea_wicked_60_26.jpg

ea_wicked_60_27.jpg

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Last photos from me ... I promise! 😂 I guess every piece of equipment has its limitations. I have four trees like this that are down but it looks like I'll have to cut them into smaller chunks before I can drag them to the barn to process into firewood.

ea_wicked_60_28.jpg

ea_wicked_60_29.jpg

ea_wicked_60_30.jpg

ea_wicked_60_31.jpg

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
That’s a good job!

I notice the grapple is constructed using less-expensive externally-bolted cylinders.
Thanks. Can you elaborate on this. I don't see the current arrangement as being a problem. I was actually impressed by the grease fitting system for the top of ram where it connects to the lid. Also, the DOM tubing in the lid has some serious wall thickness.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Why would you want a stump full of roots/dirt around your firewood processing area?

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Why would you want a stump full of roots/dirt around your firewood processing area?
I'm going to have to get rid of the root balls somehow but I was kind of joking about dragging the entire tree up to the barn. I haven't figured out what I'm going to do with the root balls yet ... any ideas? I could load them into the dump trailer and cart them off to the landfill but that might be expensive.

I had hand surgery last Friday and I think I overdid it a bit getting fittings on and off and switching around the 3rd function hoses to make the two-button controller on the loader stick operate in an intuitive way i.e. top button > open, bottom button > close. Time for some Advil. 😣

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Thanks. Can you elaborate on this. I don't see the current arrangement as being a problem. I was actually impressed by the grease fitting system for the top of ram where it connects to the lid. Also, the DOM tubing in the lid has some serious wall thickness.
Tie Rod cylinders are generally less expensive than welded cylinders because they are simpler construction. This has advantages and disadvantages. They are easier to disassemble and repair. The welded types have better duty cycles and are less bulky….so for similar sized cylinders the welded types can be used for heavier work.
In harsh climates and/or salt or chemical areas the tie-rods can become weakened and since they are exposed can be damaged. On the other had, being exposed also means you can keep an eye on them.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Tie Rod cylinders are generally less expensive than welded cylinders because they are simpler construction. This has advantages and disadvantages. They are easier to disassemble and repair. The welded types have better duty cycles and are less bulky….so for similar sized cylinders the welded types can be used for heavier work.
In harsh climates and/or salt or chemical areas the tie-rods can become weakened and since they are exposed can be damaged. On the other had, being exposed also means you can keep an eye on them.
Thanks. The LP STB1596 hydraulic angle snow blade that I bought in February has tie rod cylinders. That blade cost over $3,300 so I guess they're used in all manner of implements, even fairly expensive ones. Another photo I know but not of an EA grapple.

stb1596_01.jpg

NvRudder

Equipment
L2501DT, LA525, R14's, Bison NVHA210 84" RB, Allied 60" SB, Diamond C 10k Dump
Jun 15, 2021
Northern NV
I think they should have Inspected their own product before shipping it out in the hopes the customer will overlook such a glaringly defective product. Or… perhaps they DID…. either of which says volumes about them.
Any claim such as they supposedly made that it is a natural result of mfr’g and/or welding processes.…. would only confirm they do not strive for improvement and have a low expectation of their own work. It also says they think their customers are fools with (hopefully) equally low standards.
Does it say anything about honesty? considering their advertsising claims of high-quality?
MidwestGuy,
Agree with the comments made so far…need to give EA time (hours, not days or weeks) to come up with a good faith solution to THEIR problem.

Been around Ag welding/fabrication most of my early adult life…welded throughout high school and was lucky to be able to “weld” my way through college. Correct welding/fabrication fuses not only metal, but requires proper machine designs, best practice processes (jigs, fixtures, clean surfaces, shielded welds, deburring, paint, etc.) all utilized by trained workers to get to a final product. Some of these steps were missed on this EA Grapple. I don’t weld for a living, but even now on my projects, I know addressing the heat-induced distortion during welding is key to a good final product. (Won’t even venture into the unacceptable hydraulic hose routings). I did face some of these issues on my new Diamond C 10k Dump...welding, fit and paint was questionable. I complained and was told by the Trailer Dealer that they would give my deposit back and they would sell it to someone else the next day! Think there is just such high demand and scarce qualified workers that Quality is taking a back seat to profitability.

EA either had out-of-tolerance pre-fabbed subcomponents, poor fixturing/jigs, poor manufacturing process design or untrained employees. The grapple almost looked like someone started welding everything solid from one side to the other…vs maybe starting in the middle and working outwards to account for cumulative weld heat distortion….(or maybe it was just built on a Friday afternoon?)

Think a nicely worded firm request to EA about exchanging the unit or a 50% Discount is more than reasonable…while letting them know that hundreds of potential customers here on OTT are watching over your shoulder! How they respond will tell you (and us!) what kind of company they really are!

Good Luck!

Reactions: 4 users

MidwestGuy

Equipment
LX2610 EA55
Dec 6, 2020
Michigan
Travis from EA called me and apologized for his jr. sales guys comments to me, we spoke for a while and I believe he was concerned about how this played out, everyone knows your reputation is everything.
He asked if i'm comfortable replacing the top part myself, or shipping mine back, I am , so he is sending it out to me.
MCMXI, he asked that I mention to you that he tried to find your email with pictures, and could not locate your info, if you would email him direct he would like to talk to you. (don't shoot the messenger :)

BTW I agree great view

Bob M

Reactions: 3 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Travis from EA called me and apologized for his jr. sales guys comments to me, we spoke for a while and I believe he was concerned about how this played out, everyone knows your reputation is everything.
He asked if i'm comfortable replacing the top part myself, or shipping mine back, I am , so he is sending it out to me.
MCMXI, he asked that I mention to you that he tried to find your email with pictures, and could not locate your info, if you would email him direct he would like to talk to you. (don't shoot the messenger :)

BTW I agree great view

Bob M
Sending you a new lid does make the most sense and it's a fair solution, plus you get a spare, albeit a warped one. I forwarded my original email to Travis so hopefully he'll get back to me. Good to hear that EA is making it right for you.

DDCD

Equipment
1964 MF135, L2501
May 8, 2021
Oklahoma

BTW I agree great view

Bob M
Glad you got to talk to Travis. He seemed like a stand-up no BS guy when I talked to him.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I bury the stumps but I have a nice backhoe to make holes! You can burn them…but if you are in fire country like me it is illegal (they burn for days/weeks). Almost nothing else you can do with stumps. They are covered in dirt, tough (dull chainsaw blades quick, can’t chip them, etc).