EverythingMoneyAttachments. All the money up front?

B2710

Equipment
LX3310, L45, RTV1100
Dec 13, 2011
SE Tennessee
I like EA, just too much $$$ to me for the value and I am not going to pay in full and wait for a 3 month delivery on a large purchase. Just my opinion which is worth what you paid for it....

I have an extreme duty version from Unlimited Fabrication that I use on my Bobcat 770 and L45 that is tough as the come but heavy. Here is a link to their tractor models of which one is ~ 258lbs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
There’s a big difference in buying something and ordering something.
If buying a ready-made product then paying for it and getting it shipped immediately is proper. If it’s Back-Ordered...the payment shouldn’t be charged until the product ships.

But when ordering a custom-made product which is not manufactured until ordered.... payment up-front or a “deposit” is common and proper. Using a credit-card is a safer way to pay for items from unknown providers.... but if you’re not confident in the integrity of your provider.... then why are you doing business with them in the first place?

One reason “pay up front” appeals to mfr’rs is because there are few things which hurt your business more than a customer who orders a custom-built item...then when the item is nearing completion...the customer finds something cheaper and CANCELS the order!
Payment up-front solves that issue.

EA is a well-known and reputable mfr’r ... the only problem I have in doing business with them is their shipping policy. I live outside the 1000-mile radius and that policy of theirs excludes me right-off-the-bat.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
yes, I would NOT wait months for an implement. Seriouly doubt any real farmer would.
OK, their business model works for them as their customer base seems to be 'weekend warriors' and not 7 day a week farmers. I don't know of any farmers(yup, I'm rural) that would pay 100% upfront and could wait until after the growing season for the implement. Hmm, pay up front for a planter, then NOT get it until the snow flies ?
Take the grapple as an example. OK, odds are pretty good it's a one time( lifetime) purchase, so ONE per customer. Eventually everyone has one, so zero sales for that product (end of life term for computer chips). When sales of grapples go to zero, so does the business...unless you have a variey of products. when profits fall the shareholders( or whomever has an interest in the company) get upset, jump ship, take their investment money elsewhere

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I think of it this way, you are paying EA to make you an item, whereas many other places are purchasing mass produced items and then selling them to whomever. Yes, I know that that does not work for the need-it-now person. I think many of us think it is normal to wait longer for custom work, which is how I view the process when I ordered my grapple from them.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
yes, I would NOT wait months for an implement. Seriouly doubt any real farmer would.
OK, their business model works for them as their customer base seems to be 'weekend warriors' and not 7 day a week farmers. I don't know of any farmers(yup, I'm rural) that would pay 100% upfront and could wait until after the growing season for the implement. Hmm, pay up front for a planter, then NOT get it until the snow flies ?
Take the grapple as an example. OK, odds are pretty good it's a one time( lifetime) purchase, so ONE per customer. Eventually everyone has one, so zero sales for that product (end of life term for computer chips). When sales of grapples go to zero, so does the business...unless you have a variey of products. when profits fall the shareholders( or whomever has an interest in the company) get upset, jump ship, take their investment money elsewhere

This thread is awesome! So far I've learned that I'm a fool and a weekend warrior. Can't wait to learn more about myself while I wait for my EA grapple and box blade. :unsure:

1. Fool
  2. Weekend warrior
  3. .........

Reactions: 6 users

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
I've thought about that, but on a b2601 the weight difference maybe noticeable wouldn't you think?
Yes, this could be. I guess it just depends on what you will be trying to lift with it. Probably compare the weight of your bucket. My grapple weighs ~175 lbs more than my bucket. So, I'm losing 175 lbs of capacity I suppose as compared to what I can lift with my bucket. If you pay less attention to your loader specs at full height and more attention to its specs at carrying height (1500mm or ~5ft), you can make that decision for yourself. For me, if the 175 lbs ever becomes a problem (it hasn't), I will either take a smaller bite of whatever or get out the old chainsaw and lighten the load.

WDF

Equipment
Kubota L2501 HST/FEL
Jan 4, 2021
Central Florida
I want to order the EA 55" Wicked grapple.

But I don't want my money tied up for months prior to receiving the item. I'd happily put down a deposit though. This exact scenario has kept me from ordering one so far.

A grapple is not a customized item. They generally carry them in stock. Right now demand is higher and work has been slowed down across the supply chain so they're just backed up on the production. I am likely to wait until they catch up, or order from somewhere else (MTL) who can deliver when I need it, which is July/August.

A few weeks back I needed a handheld brush cutter, I wanted an Echo SRM-2620/3020 u-handle. The local Echo dealer didn't have any in stock, and wanted payment in full prior to ordering it. I then stopped at the Stihl dealer, same story but they offered to order one so I could see it, prior to paying for it. Little surprise there's now a FS-131U in my shed.

Reactions: 2 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I think of it this way, you are paying EA to make you an item, whereas many other places are purchasing mass produced items and then selling them to whomever. Yes, I know that that does not work for the need-it-now person. I think many of us think it is normal to wait longer for custom work, which is how I view the process when I ordered my grapple from them.
GeoHorn mentioned custom made as well. But it does not seem custom work to me. It is the same product every time right? Not make custom for each purchaser's tractor right? I could be missing something...but is each unit likely to be a quarter inch different here, a half inch different there? That would be custom to me.

Actually, it sounds like it is a standard item, that they just cannot produce fast enough to meet demand.

Correct me if i do not see this correctly...just going on from what I read in this thread.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
If you never plan ahead you must not be a very successful farmer. Just sayin.

Reactions: 3 users

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
I don't quite understand why people who have nothing to do with EA WANT EA to have more business? I'm guessing they're satisfied with how things are going at the moment. If what they are doing works for them, who are any of us to say any different?

If what they are doing doesn't work for you, it's not like they're the only option.

Outdrz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901, 525 Loader, 2060 Cutter, EA Toothbar, EA Box Blade, JD Disc and more
Feb 20, 2021
Ohio

angrymatt

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, SCR1860, BX42 Chipper, Grade Scraper, PL1242 Forks, 60" Pusher
Sep 4, 2020
NH
This thread is awesome! So far I've learned that I'm a fool and a weekend warrior. Can't wait to learn more about myself while I wait for my EA grapple and box blade. :unsure:

1. Fool
  2. Weekend warrior
  3. .........
Agreed!! This thread is gold!
Im a double fool because i also ordered a piranha tooth bar. They also charge up front and currently have a 4-6 week lead time. Im even worse if you count firearm or NFA stuff and proudly join you as a weekend warrior.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
You could not find one farmer here in the Red River Valley who is NOT planning years ahead with regards to his farming operation. Not only regarding his equipment, but with regards to seed supply, market conditions both here and abroad, crop rotation, labor requirements, fuel supply, maintenance and spare parts anticipated, the list goes on and on. To think they only start planning a few months in advance of the current year's crop input is a bit absurd. There are some that even buy contracts for their fuel/seed supply years in advance.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
I had my grapple about 2 weeks before I had the tractor. I even paid up front and had to wait, but Patrick (I think that's his name) and Tim (owner) kept in touch with me.

But I am just a foolish, weekend warrior.

Reactions: 2 users

WDF

Equipment
Kubota L2501 HST/FEL
Jan 4, 2021
Central Florida
I'm a fool and a weekend warrior, and poor enough I don't want $2500 tied up for a few months.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Funny, I had started a very similar thread months ago when I ordered my box blade from EA. I was just asking if this was SOP in the industry.

Even with the wait I was satisfied enough to order my back blade from them. Now I have pallet forks and subsoiler on order.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
its not just EA. Maybe you guys haven't bought anything in a while?

Same goes for furniture etc...Hell, they were doing the same thing for ammunition. Paid up front, and some ruthless sellers were making them wait several months for ammo...then when the retailer got the ammo, they sent the money back to the buyer and resold the ammo for an even higher price!

If you take issue with paying up front for an order, then buy it somewhere else. You have a choice. It's quite simple.

I have an EA box blade that I paid for up front. Extremely happy with it and I would highly recommend their stuff.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I'm NOT calling anyone a fool , and the 'weekend warrior' refers to those who aren't 24/7 farmers trying to make a living from the dirt.
If you're ok giving a company all your cash up front and wait months for a product, so be it. The point I was trying to make is that 'farmers' can't afford to give their cash to someone, hoping that 2-3 months later the 'implement' will be delivered. Farmers NEED the implement NOW, not later. Big issue is repair or spare parts. Say the computer says you need a new air filter, shuts down your tractor. You call Kubota and they say 'sorry, none in stock, it's $100 up front, 4-6 week possible delivery. Bet you wouldn't be happy about that. Another example... your furnace goes down in mid december, needs a part, none in stock, $400 ventor blower unit. Would you pay that up front with a 5 week delivery ? Meanwhile your house is getting colder by the day? Odds are you won't wait......especially if the missus has any say in it !
BTW the spare parts for HVAC equipment is real, couldn't GET furnances up here OR some parts due to Chinese virus and then bad weather down south.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
GeoHorn mentioned custom made as well. But it does not seem custom work to me. It is the same product every time right? Not make custom for each purchaser's tractor right? I could be missing something...but is each unit likely to be a quarter inch different here, a half inch different there? That would be custom to me.

Actually, it sounds like it is a standard item, that they just cannot produce fast enough to meet demand.

Correct me if i do not see this correctly...just going on from what I read in this thread.
Well, I could argue that it is a custom item because no weld will be the same on every grapple. :ROFLMAO:

Custom made may have been a poor choice of words. Maybe it is just pre-ordering, since you order and then wait for a grapple to be made that will ship to you.

Anyway, no offense, I think the paying up front is being made out to be more of an issue than it really is. Could I have bought a heavier grapple and been just as happy with it? Yes, a 400 lb grapple by another brand may have been fine, and I would never need that extra 200ish pounds of lift.

If there was not such a high demand for the EA grapples, they most certainly would not be able to charge up front like they do. They have a product in high demand, and they know it. We all know it. People are essentially waiting in line to give them their money. As it is now, they can call the shots. So, you gotta pay to play as they say.