Even Kubota knows plastic body is no good!

netxtown

Aug 8, 2013
Blue Ridge, Tx
I had to laugh. In Kubota's new comparison to a John Doe model - they mock that the JD has a plastic body....but the Kubota model is all steel!

Meanwhile, today the hand grip on the left fender of my BX1850d cracked completely off. The replacement part is just a mere $50....I mean...what's another $50 bucks poured into a plastic body? The right side cracked off a couple years back when the right fender fell off. And that plastic bonnet hood and side bonnet....they were the first to go kaput.

And yet - Kubota is poking plastic slams at JD. Sure sends a message to all of us with a BX....

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I had to laugh. In Kubota's new comparison to a John Doe model - they mock that the JD has a plastic body....but the Kubota model is all steel!

Meanwhile, today the hand grip on the left fender of my BX1850d cracked completely off. The replacement part is just a mere $50....I mean...what's another $50 bucks poured into a plastic body? The right side cracked off a couple years back when the right fender fell off. And that plastic bonnet hood and side bonnet....they were the first to go kaput.

And yet - Kubota is poking plastic slams at JD. Sure sends a message to all of us with a BX....
What is the message??? Kubota used a plastic body on the BX50 series, all other models only have a plastic underhood cover and the BX80 series has all metal.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Do you prefer to sit on metal? or leather?

In times-past…. a farmer might compare a metal tractor like a 9N Ford …. to an all leather plow-horse. The tractor doesn’t get excited and have warm and fuzzy feelings about you when you refuel it…. but it also doesn’t need refueling on days you don’t work it.

And it doesn’t leave-behind anything but tracks.

Model-to-Model….Comparing a plastic K to a plastic JD is not noteworthy. But, that’s no reason to dislike an Ad that points out the HST-pedal differences or the fact the Orange FEL is removeable and the Green one isn’t.

However, Switching model comparisons…. the differences of a metal tractor to a plastic one is worthwhile. Any comparative Ad would be expected to point out differences…. not similarities.

One Ad is a taste-comparison between Apples and Oranges…. and the other is a taste-comparison between Fuji and Delicious.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

I newly acquired Bx1850 - PO backed into his wife's car .......... said he did $500 damage to her car !

Some lovely packing tape to hold the pieces together was his fix !

1625050525133.png

and after the fix and a $20 new light lens! (lens not shown yet!) That is two part epoxy and some better than average tape on the underside.

I thought about sanding it all smooth and repainting it ........... do not think that is the path however - ugly is as ugly does!

1625050611268.png

thinking about re-enforcing the two locking tabs in the bonnet with aluminum sometime soon!!

I have to admit - I think K learned their lesson with the 50 series and at least went back to metal soon after.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Do you prefer to sit on metal? or leather?
I kept the heavy cast iron seat from my grandfather's old Massy Harris tractor and made it into a bar stool.

Surprisingly it's more comfortable than the slippery and sloped OEM POS foam rubber seat my M59 comes with.

pdubya

Equipment
BX
Jun 21, 2021
Darlington, SC
I have an 08' 2350 with the plastic and the abrupt reverse. I bought mine used, and cheap, and the rest of the machine is so robust and well made, I can overlook the few flaws. Bought with 400hrs and put another 400 and done nothing but change the fluids and a battery. Great little machines, IMO

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I don't mind the steel body, I just wish they would learn how to paint them with quality paint. LOL
Paint was pretty thin on my B2620 to where I can see primer through it inn spots.

As far as plastic bodies, our Cat loaders in the mine have plastic bodies, no issues and no rust or fading.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Correction Kubota HAD plastic body tractors

that was YEARS ago, they learned a valuable lesson with them via paying out significant warranty claims and then later even after they were out of warranty, they were still paying for busted fenders on the BX-50's.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I newly acquired Bx1850 - PO backed into his wife's car .......... said he did $500 damage to her car !

Some lovely packing tape to hold the pieces together was his fix !

View attachment 62347

and after the fix and a $20 new light lens! (lens not shown yet!) That is two part epoxy and some better than average tape on the underside.

I thought about sanding it all smooth and repainting it ........... do not think that is the path however - ugly is as ugly does!

View attachment 62348

thinking about re-enforcing the two locking tabs in the bonnet with aluminum sometime soon!!

I have to admit - I think K learned their lesson with the 50 series and at least went back to metal soon after.
It would now be considered "vintage" by some and thus has become more desirable. I like it as is. Good work.

netxtown

Aug 8, 2013
Blue Ridge, Tx
What is the message??? Kubota used a plastic body on the BX50 series, all other models only have a plastic underhood cover and the BX80 series has all metal.
My 1850d has plastic hood bonnet and sides and plastic rear fenders. ALL of these - except the actual hood have fallen completely off the tractor. A little bit here...and little bit there....

I checked into replacing the rear fenders as they do provide protection for the plastic gas tank. Over $1000. Made me laugh.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I checked into replacing the rear fenders as they do provide protection for the plastic gas tank. Over $1000. Made me laugh.
Yes, that is why Kubota points out the fact that the Green tractors have a plastic body on them.
Kubota only did that on the 50 series BX tractors, it was a failure.
I still do not see what message you stated Kubota is sending to BX tractor owners.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
The implied message from Kubota is that plastic is no good on a tractor. Yet - Kubota is guilty of the same crime.
They built one short series with plastic 15 years ago and went back to steel. I wonder why they went back to steel??
Their competitor still is using plastic, which I assume you realize is not the best plan.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
The implied message from Kubota is that plastic is no good on a tractor. Yet - Kubota is guilty of the same crime.
So…why do YOU own a Kubota?

netxtown

Aug 8, 2013
Blue Ridge, Tx
So…why do YOU own a Kubota?
Cuz mine is right at 15 years old and a plastic body was all they offered when I went to the dealership. My little riding lawn mower had choked and died on some johnson grass - and the stuff was starting to take over again. And, being i had absolutely ZERO experience with tractors and/or Kubota - I thought that was just the way they were. The only thing I "heard" was the Kubota was simply the best. I also drive either Toyota or Nissan trucks - so "japanese" for me was/is the best choice.

I do remember that Kubota did replace the whole body piece as it had cracked in half and was still under warranty. They also added a puny steel reinforcement strap. Ironically, the area where that steel strap is, is about the only area that hasn't cracked and fallen off.

It would have been really really nice if they would have offered a replacement metal body. I probably would have bought it. As it is, i got no fenders, my engine is all exposed, and the back end is completely getting eyeballed - - - and i just feel soooooo nekked.