Equine offer pricing experience

Ed Logan ag

May 2, 2021
Arizona
Hi y'all, wanted to share my recent experience and get some advice on what to do going forward. We settled on an LX2601 for our 5 acre property and received some quotes for options with different implements. We settled on R14 tires, rear remotes with a top and tilt hydraulics, 60 inch scraper and bucket, and a grapple and 3rd function. We took the 2 quotes with prices, highlighted the the things we wanted and submitted a credit app. When we sat down with them we mentioned we were NCHA members but they said the 0% was a much better deal and the equine discount wasn't that great. Two days go by and we get an email that said we were approved for the 0% and to take a look at the quote and to let them know if we want them to submit it for ordering. Every thing on the quote was 200-600 more expensive increasing the total by over $1800. We went back and the explanation was they didn't quote the 3rd function or the top and tilt even though it is clearly on the previous quotes. We told them at that point we wanted to go with the equine discount because we wanted to get the total cost down and they said they would have to meet with their manager to get us the best price and would get back to us. Well I have finally had a chance to sit down and go over the new numbers they sent for the NCHA "discount" and basically they took 20% off the tractor, loader, and grapple but not the other implements and also raised the base price on those things before applying the discount as well adding $1700 in labor. This new quote is barely $2000 lower than first quote we got along with requiring 10% down. I have a check sitting on my desk for a deposit but just do not feel very good about how all of this has gone down. What do you think I should do?

Edit: Also they have nothing in stock at the moment and are the only dealer in our state.

Second subject I asked I could just install the top and tilt myself and save the labor cost but was told that would completely void Kubota's powertrain warranty and only they can add those kind of things. That does not sound right at all.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Top and tilt means installing the hydraulic loop for the rear control valves. I doubt that voids the warranty (that'd make no sense), but it does mean fiddling with the hydraulic block I believe.

I think the equine discount is somewhat a "discount off list price" - so you can't take a discounted price and then add the equine discount to it - you take the dealer discount or you take the equine discount. Whilst it feels funny, there may be an argument that the dealer were throwing in "free" install and labour as part of their previous price, but with the equine discount they now need to charge you for that.

It all feels a bit funny, so I'd say it's part of one and part the other. I.e. some of that increase is legit, and some of it is not. Basically the question is whether the price you have is equal to the build price on the Kubota website less 20%. If not, then I think the dealer is burying some extra cost in there. Of course, if you don't have another dealer to go to......not sure what your options are. Can you buy out of state?

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I think I would seriously consider getting a quote from a different dealer. If they are jacking up the price before submitting the equine discount then something is fishy.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Not being a horse-person I had never heard of an “equine discount” ...but I wonder which End of the equine the dealer represents...

River19

Equipment
B2601, RB1560, BB1260 and BX2830 blower
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
We are horse people. I bought last Fall with the Equine Discount and it was straight forward. 20% off MSRP (the same number on the Kubota Website) for Tractor, Loader, Commercial blower (any of the Kubota brand implements purchased with the tractor). The dealer setup fees of about $1200-1500 including assembly, loading the rear tires with fluid and delivery.

There was no other negotiation. Like buying a truck on an employee discount plan. The price is the price and in many cases it is better than any allowable combination of incentives etc.

Factor in this was a cash purchase for us so the 0% financing which required the insurance from Kubota (which is good insurance but not really necessary outside the loan) didn't work from a #s standpoint.

lostboy

Equipment
lx2610
Jan 1, 2021
OK
I had a similar experience as River19 with an equine quote. Configure the machine on Kubota's website then take off 20%. The deal I worked with added the following fee's:
tractor pdi $250.00
loader pdi $255.00
freight $675.00
3rd function install $500.00
I never figured out if the tractor was coming from the factory with the 3rd function or the dealer would have to install it. They were very vague about the 3rd function, it was almost like they would figure that out after they got the tractor.

If I where you, I would try to get them to put the delivery date on the document. Also, the dealer I was working with didn't require any money down to order the tractor. I just signed a paper.
A used tractor with 35 hours came up for sell about an hour away. So I bought it instead of the new one. The dealer wasn't sure when they would get my order in.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
When I asked about the equine discount, the dealer said they chose not to participate. I had a printout from the “build your Kubota” web page and he used that, gave a small discount and didn’t add any fees of any kind. The bottom line is all that matters, I don’t think I got a great deal but did get a new one with all options in stock, unlike other dealers.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
When I asked about the equine discount, the dealer said they chose not to participate. I had a printout from the “build your Kubota” web page and he used that, gave a small discount and didn’t add any fees of any kind. The bottom line is all that matters, I don’t think I got a great deal but did get a new one with all options in stock, unlike other dealers.
I was of the understanding the dealers didn't get a choice in that.

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
The equine discount is WELL WORTH looking into but expect different reactions from dealer to dealer when you mention the incentive. Kubota pricing is ALL OVER THE BOARD from dealer to dealer. No different than buying a car. Shop ALL DEALERS that are within a reasonable distance that can provide after the fact service. I was amazed at the price difference I saw among the Kubota dealers near me. Sales is sales whether you are talking cars, tractors, widgets or whatever and while I don't know this for a fact I'm guessing there are MANY factors that determine the MASSIVE price differences from one Kubota dealer to the next. Time of the month, inventory on hand, sales quotas, whether volume sales or profit per unit is more of a priority, on and on and on. You may think a great price is based on some incentive but you never know what motivation leads a dealer to write down a final $ number for you. Just be knowledgeable of ALL Kubota programs / incentives, do your homework/legwork. Do these two things and apparently you are doing what the vast majority of shoppers don't do and will help you to get the best deal. I'm glad I am the owner of a Kubota but I've got the say I was not expecting the massive differences in prices I saw when shopping last summer on my B2601 and handful of LP implements. I feel I ended up with a great tractor at a great price from a dealer I'm VERY pleased with and hey......... to top it off I get a nice equestrian magazine to read since I am now a member of an equestrian association but I'm not 100% convinced it was the equine discount that was the sole factor for the deal I got! Having spent a lot of my life in higher level sales I'm a bit cynical :) as to what ultimately is behind a "final price".

Last edited:

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Its a sellers market. There isnt inventory. I dont know why they dont just double the price of everything much less give any discounts.

Ed Logan ag

May 2, 2021
Arizona
Update: I looked at dealers out of state and was able to find a new lx2610 that is being delivered today with everything I was looking for and pallet forks for $3000 less with delivery than the local quote. Didn't even mention the equine discount, just found a straight shooting salesman and made the deal happen in a day

Reactions: 1 users

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Update: I looked at dealers out of state and was able to find a new lx2610 that is being delivered today with everything I was looking for and pallet forks for $3000 less with delivery than the local quote. Didn't even mention the equine discount, just found a straight shooting salesman and made the deal happen in a day
That’s great. Make sure you post some pictures or it didn’t happen.

Ed Logan ag

May 2, 2021
Arizona
Not really sure why it double posted some of the pictures but I'm on mobile and it's giving me some issues. I'll make a new post on this dealer and our impressions when we get back in town Thursday. For now the new tractor is parked in the garage while we try and figure out a name for her 😁

Reactions: 1 user

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Nice pictures

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
Regarding the equine discount, there are a number of threads on this, and the value depends on your needs. There are a lot of catches in the fine print as they would be giving away too much. I calculated both ways and in the end, decided on a full package of add ons beyond the base tractor etc. They spell it out but you have to dig deep into sub-pages and really read through.. For some it works out great, in my case and in the current buying environment, getting a fair deal, in a prompt manner with good service was key. Oh, and I decided to hold on to my cash with the 0% as I only had a bit over half ready to go and would have stretched for the rest. Also, the reason I didn't go used which was my orig intent.