Engine swap

Walker2

Jun 19, 2016
Louisiana
Hi I need to replace the engine in my tractor (spun rod bearing), it has the d1402. I found a deal on a d1803 does anyone know if the bolt patterns are the same? I found the dimensions and the are the same size, but can't find anything on the bolt patterns. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
What tractor are you working with? Yes it matters as some models require that the front gear case be set up to mount to.

It's very unlikely that a D1803 will fit in a D1402 setup.
I'll have to do more research when I get home.

You need to make sure the mounting points are the same, the bell housing bolts are the same, the pan bolts are the same and alternator location is the same.

Pan is very critical if it's a 4wd as the Drive shaft runs through or just under the pan.

If it as I suspect a industrial engine, you need to make sure it's not a fixed RPM engine or it won't work.

Also note that is a turbo motor and will require other considerations to make it fit and function. ;)

cviola2005

Jun 8, 2016
Clarkrange, TN, USA
There's two versions of a D1402. D1402 is an industrial engine, indirect injection. D1402-DI is an agricultural engine, direct injection. I have both in my shop (neither currectly for sale) but I haven't compared to see if they will swap with each other.

What machine is this 1402 in?

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Have read that most often the swaps work more direct if you swap an "xx02" with a different X "xx02" or an "xx03 with a different X "xx03" etc.

If you got personal machine shop to fabricate at your disposal or massive money to pay one to fabricate best to stick with matching engine series (xx02's, xxO3's, xx05's etc)

Provabledust

Feb 26, 2022
New Zealand
I don't remember the out come of my research.

What are you needing to do?
I have a kubota tractor with a d1402 which has a piston went through the block and cranks shaft is damaged basically bottom end is toast, here in new Zealand I have been looking for 2 years with no luck of a replacement D1402, would be great to know if a modern kubota could bolt up with relative small modifications.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There are quite a few variables that come into play with trying to use a different engine.
Flywheel and bellhousing are #1.
Then other factors, oil pan, hydraulic pump drive and other points

The D XX03 engines are going to be the closest matches, after that they change rather drastically.
Look for donor engines in the DXX02 and DXXO3 class get a complete serial number off of it ( on the flat spot facing up right next to the injection pump facing up) and I might be able to tell you if it will match up or not.
Your odds are going to be much better if it's out of a tractor, as non tractor based engines have a whole host of other variables to worry about.