Engine Locked up on L3200

MountainMeadows

Equipment
L2501, JD 655, Ford 841, JD 6x4 Gator, Gravely 432.
Jun 6, 2022
Poconos, PA
If your engine locked up from lack of oil it's going to have problems. A locked idler, I'm assuming idler pully, if your engine has one, would not lock the motor up. It would just burn up the drive belt.

Reactions: 3 users

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
I am assuming they mean the camshaft idler, which also means the camshaft bearings and cam are also probably damaged. At 200 hrs that pretty much means a "like new" engine or rebuild.

If the engine was already loaded by the bush cutter, then it would not take a lot of additional load to stall the engine, so there might not be a lot of damage, but it will need to be totally gone through and checked.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
new engine while it's still available

I'd be surprised if some of the tier 3 and lower (2, 1) diesels aren't being slowly phased out

why not rebuild? Because a new engine comes with a new block, crankshaft, rods, pistons, camshafts, injection pump, alternator, belt and a whole bunch of other stuff that is already used. Also takes a lot less time to swap an engine assembly than it does to remove one, totally rebuild it, source all the parts, wait for a machinest to do his thing, reassemble, and reinstall. Then hope that it's all done correctly. With a new engine, it takes a LOT of questions out of the deal.

Reactions: 5 users

flipnout1

Equipment
L3200
Jun 16, 2022
new engine while it's still available

I'd be surprised if some of the tier 3 and lower (2, 1) diesels aren't being slowly phased out

why not rebuild? Because a new engine comes with a new block, crankshaft, rods, pistons, camshafts, injection pump, alternator, belt and a whole bunch of other stuff that is already used. Also takes a lot less time to swap an engine assembly than it does to remove one, totally rebuild it, source all the parts, wait for a machinest to do his thing, reassemble, and reinstall. Then hope that it's all done correctly. With a new engine, it takes a LOT of questions out of the deal.

I just got back from the dealer. Looked at the block and the seized gear. Its the one that connects the crankshaft and the cam shaft. Cylinder walls were not scored. They had pulled the crank and it didn't show any scoring but one small scratch that would polish out. I had seen enough and told them I wanted a new motor. This dealership was been nothing but great in dealing with this. They said fine. Even offered to buy it back but I declined as its exactly what I need. The sad part is that they have to drill the block so it cannot be rebuilt. Kubota insists on this before they will send a new engine.
I would definitely recommend this dealer. They have been great and I understand why they would like to rebuild this engine and offered a two year warranty to go with that. Can't blame them.

Reactions: 10 users

Shekkie

Equipment
LX2610, Virnig 60" Grapple, WoodMaxx TM-86H, Woods 60" BB/72”RB
Feb 12, 2022
Grafton, Ohio
I just got back from the dealer. Looked at the block and the seized gear. Its the one that connects the crankshaft and the cam shaft. Cylinder walls were not scored. They had pulled the crank and it didn't show any scoring but one small scratch that would polish out. I had seen enough and told them I wanted a new motor. This dealership was been nothing but great in dealing with this. They said fine. Even offered to buy it back but I declined as its exactly what I need. The sad part is that they have to drill the block so it cannot be rebuilt. Kubota insists on this before they will send a new engine.
I would definitely recommend this dealer. They have been great and I understand why they would like to rebuild this engine and offered a two year warranty to go with that. Can't blame them.
That’ll work. Good for them!

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I'd want the new engine on site BEFORE the old one was drilled.....!
Just cause the 'computers says 'they have one' doesn't MEAN it's really there....
I'm happy your dealer is being real nice about this,hopefully you'll be back in the fields soon.

Jay

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I'd want the new engine on site BEFORE the old one was drilled.....!
That is not going to happen. Until a picture of the 3/4" hole beside the serial number and one of the emissions tag are submitted to Kubota, the new engine can not even be shipped, PER the EPA.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
considering the 'supply chain issues'
man I'd want it in writing, preferably in someone's blood, that the new engine exists BEFORE destroying my old block....I don't care IF the 'puter says '3 in stock'.....

Reactions: 1 users

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
I know it's going to be a new motor but will it actually be put back exactly the way Kubota had everything oriented in the compartment? Splitting hairs here but I would want to make sure that there was some kind of extended warranty on work performed on it.

Just saying that they done some simple maintenance on it and look what happened.. who's to say that something doesn't quite get put back to exactly where it's suppose to go, be it a (wire harness or possibly fuel or hydraulic lines) and creates a problem down the road??
They sound like a good reputable dealer and more than likely would take care of you but it's worth looking into.. I know I would! Good luck with it and keep us posted.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Just saying that they done some simple maintenance on it and look what happened.. who's to say that something doesn't quite get put back to exactly where it's suppose to go, be it a (wire harness or possibly fuel or hydraulic lines) and creates a problem down the road??
very good cause for concern, but I would be surprised if the same tech that does the maintenance is the same one that does the engine r&r. But I also do see these issues daily from other techs and backyard mechanics. My favorite line from customers is “I know someone that can do it cheaper” 🤣

Edit: I’m not dealing with tractors

• Haha

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
considering the 'supply chain issues'
man I'd want it in writing, preferably in someone's blood, that the new engine exists BEFORE destroying my old block....I don't care IF the 'puter says '3 in stock'.....
That is a legitimate concern that you should take up with the people who make the laws.

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
That is a legitimate concern that you should take up with the people who make the laws.
Not that I've ever done this, or reccomend it, but the two holes are easily fixed by any competent machine shop....

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Not that I've ever done this, or reccomend it, but the two holes are easily fixed by any competent machine shop....
truth

but the other side of the regulation is that the facility that is in charge of replacing/disabling the original engine is also required to document it's disposal. So once it hits the scrap bin, it has to stay there and then they have to keep up with the documentation of where the scrap went to.

they ain't playing

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
truth

but the other side of the regulation is that the facility that is in charge of replacing/disabling the original engine is also required to document it's disposal. So once it hits the scrap bin, it has to stay there and then they have to keep up with the documentation of where the scrap went to.

they ain't playing

Its funny this only applies to non road engines (as far as I know…I’ve never had to destroy a non current emission road engine). Well except for cash for clunkers, I got paid to blow shit up 🤣

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I doubt any competent machine shop is going to repair a 3/4" hole drilled through a cylinder wall.

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
I doubt any competent machine shop is going to repair a 3/4" hole drilled through a cylinder wall.
You've never used or worked for a competent machine shop then. I've seen wiped out main saddles on 3500 cats replaced with new metal, one off blocks from pulling tractors with holes through the side repaired and put back in service. Sure there's a limit of what can be repaired but a 3/4" hole in a cylinder and block isn't hard to repair. Not by any stretch of the imagination.