Engine block heater

Cal270

Equipment
4060 HSTC,LP1258,1672,1860,1672,ballast box,& HermanSupply fel snowplow
Jun 23, 2014
Mid-Michigan
Had my dealer install a OEM block heater at 50 hour service.
My question is if I can plug the block heater in the night before I use it?
Are there any concerns of extended heating of the block.
Tractor is kept in a non heated garage.
Last year we had a few -20 F temps.
Don't have a lot of time in the morning before work.
Live in Michigan and looks like another cold winter.
This is a Tier 4 engine and idling is suppose to be kept to minimum.
If I plug it in at night the block heater would be on for 10 hours or so.
Also have a Battery Tender in use.
Thanks!

84cj

Equipment
Bx1800, 60 inch mower, front snowblower and bucket.
Aug 8, 2013
Gorham, Maine
I was just wondering about this myself. I plan on getting an outlet timer. Set it to turn on the heater an hour or so before I get up. The timer will turn it on, I won't have to get up early or go out to plug it in.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
All that will happen with a block heater of 400 to 500 watts which is left on for long periods is that you waste a lot of $ on electricity. Two hours is all you need. After that, the engine is loosing heat to its surroundings as fast as the block heater is adding it.
I don't know about idling tier 4 engines but Kubota has always been concerned about the hydraulic system being well warmed up before use. I would read the owner's manual carefully before developing a plan.
Dave M7040

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Dave got it, either get a heavy duty timer to kick on for about 2 hours before you think your going to use it, or go plug it in then go have a cup of coffee and watch the morning/evening news then go out disconnect start it up and let the hydraulics warm up for a bit say 10 min, and go play,,errr work I meant work:D

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
If you are dealing with -20° overnight temps, I'd be 'wasting' that electricity and plugging it in all night. Two hours of heat to just the engine water may not be enough to fire it up, depending on engine size.

Yes, loss of the heat via the engine/transmission surfaces will eventually reach equilibrium. Some may see this as wasted heat, however, as an IR/heat emitter, the engine will warm the fuel, the fuel lines, transmission oil, engine oil, etc. With a short start warm up, those components will likely have little to no warming function and be cold, requiring a longer running warm up, burning fuel. So, you can pen out the cost variances between diesel and electric power and see which is being wasted.

A properly warmed vehicle can be started and operated relatively quickly. I would think an HST unit would require a bit more warming than a DT unit, but that theory is based on HST's liking their oil to proper temp before rolling around. Gear units you just need to avoid physical shocks to them when they are coldish, they are usually good for a short meander to a work site and be all warmed up by the time they get there.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have mine outside all winter and surprisingly I've found that hour or 2 is about the most you need, Your not bringing it up to operating temp just making it easier and better starting.

Last year I had 2 block heaters running almost all winter long24/7 and I really didn't get much of an electric spike out of it though.

On the end of hurting anything, no, not really, just shorten the life of the heater element, but hey, it's there to do a job!

Cal270

Equipment
4060 HSTC,LP1258,1672,1860,1672,ballast box,& HermanSupply fel snowplow
Jun 23, 2014
Mid-Michigan
Thanks for the replies!
I'll plug it in over night for am use. The cost of electricity is minimum.
The DPF muffler collects more particulate matter when the tractor is at a fast idle warming up, which speeds up the regeneration intervals. The block heater will reduce the idling time, which is a good thing on a Tier 4...
Will be interesting to see how the tractor regenerates in cold weather.
The PM screen is already at 40% with only 4 hours since last regen. Will be lucky to hit 10 hours on this regen. Prior regen's have averaged at least 25 hours, but that with rotary cutter and heavier engine load & warmer temps.