Engaging PTO?

Greydog

Sep 24, 2009
Ohio
What is the proper sequence to follow to engage the PTO without grinding the gears? I inherited this old L345 4WD and can't figure out this simple operation. Is there a separate clutch pedal or handle for this?

Greydog

Sep 24, 2009
Ohio
Yes I have the clutch in! Do I need to be in Neutral? Do I need to wait a certain amount of time? Is there a separate clutch for engaging the PTO? It seem that whatever I try I am grinding gears. I just had to replace a broken shift fork- the longer one on the right as you look into the gearbox- did engaging the PTO weaken it and cause it to break?

Fastwestie

Apr 14, 2011
Bergerac, France
Hi
It is a 2 stage clutch and you have to push it right down to engage the pto. You don't need to be in neutral. Make sure you don't have the clutch stop down which is designed to stop you disengaging the PTO when you change gear.

If that fails then gheck the clutch free play 25mm to 35mm at the pedal

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Sounds like its time for the clutch to be replaced all together. My L275 had the same problem for a while til we had a new clutch put in. Only other option which is not real safe is have the tractor off engage the PTO and fire it all up. Its kinda dangerous if you have a bushhog on the back and its sitting on the ground.

Cavalry

Equipment
MX5100 with all the fixins'
Apr 11, 2011
ny
My 345 does the same thing. The pto side of the clutch is locked. I pull the fuel lever and get the RPM's down low while pulling into PTO gear then release the fuel lever. If you do it right you dont grind. Still sucks brushhogging not being able to clutch fast but I dont have the time to have the machine down right now to replace the clutch.