Electrical issue B7100hst

jerhutch

Equipment
kabota b7100hst
Jan 24, 2023
Vine Grove, ky
The engine will turn over
...no problems there but will not start.
Again, it did not sound like there's anything in any of the cylinders. I see nothing from the outside of the engine but is it possible that it could have blown a head gasket? I looked around and see ,o evidence of that...

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The noise you describe sounds like what I heard when my water pump went out and the fan blades were hitting the shroud !

jerhutch

Equipment
kabota b7100hst
Jan 24, 2023
Vine Grove, ky
Again, it did not sound like there's anything in any of the cylinders. I see nothing from the outside of the engine but is it possible that it could have blown a head gasket? I looked around and see ,o evidence of that...
Again,
Turns over with no problem. I did note that there was white smoke while trying to start it. Also, I loosened the injector inlets and did see some fuel as I would expect. Am I correct that if it was getting fuel, without starting, there should be some black smoke vs the white smoke?

jerhutch

Equipment
kabota b7100hst
Jan 24, 2023
Vine Grove, ky
Again,
Turns over with no problem. I did note that there was white smoke while trying to start it. Also, I loosened the injector inlets and did see some fuel as I would expect. Am I correct that if it was getting fuel, without starting, there should be some black smoke vs the white smoke?
Also, while trying to start it, there was no noise so I am concluding that the engine firing/running was making the noise....not cranking it without it firing.....

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It has to be something internal engine to keep it from starting.
First off please quit answering your own posts it's real confusing!
Your hitting reply on your own posts.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
These engines require Fuel, compression and a glow plug to start.
Getting white smoke is normal when they don't start.
You only get black smoke when they are burning and getting over fueled.
You can get white smoke if it's cracked a head and getting water into the cylinder, but you would have had to overheat it. these engines very very very rarely "blow" a head gasket.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You need to find out if the glow plugs are heating, they should only heat when it's cranking, or when you manually turn the key in reverse.
The glow plug indicator will only glow in reverse key, when cranking it bypasses the glow indicator.
Use a meter or simple test life to see when the glow plugs are getting power.
If the glow plug indicator glows red really fast then there is a shorted glow plug, you'll need to fix that before it will start.
If the glow plug indicator glows after about 30 sec or more than it's probably good, but not a 100% indicator that they are all working right.
If the glow plug indicator takes a really long time to glow red, like over a min, then there is at least one burned out glow plug.

jerhutch

Equipment
kabota b7100hst
Jan 24, 2023
Vine Grove, ky
You need to find out if the glow plugs are heating, they should only heat when it's cranking, or when you manually turn the key in reverse.
The glow plug indicator will only glow in reverse key, when cranking it bypasses the glow indicator.
Use a meter or simple test life to see when the glow plugs are getting power.
If the glow plug indicator glows red really fast then there is a shorted glow plug, you'll need to fix that before it will start.
If the glow plug indicator glows after about 30 sec or more than it's probably good, but not a 100% indicator that they are all working right.
If the glow plug indicator takes a really long time to glow red, like over a min, then there is at least one burned out glow plug.
I will check it out more tomorrow. I did note when I started it the first time, the glowplug controller glowed some after about a minute but my concern is that the red glowplug light was on when I released the glowplug switch (switch on the key). Before, it always came off when I released the switch, as it should.

jerhutch

Equipment
kabota b7100hst
Jan 24, 2023
Vine Grove, ky
Hope I'm doing this correctly.
I have another idea to float. As I said earlier, was having problems with the glow plugs and discovered that the battery was hocked up backwards, i.e., pos and neg reversed. I took the battery out to access the glow plug controller\glow thing. I replace the battery cables not paying attention to which went to pos and neg just typical hook up based on size of the connectors but someone had the cables reversed...anyway battery was hocked up backwards. Now wondering if that may have caused problems with the alternator. I installed new battery cables before this noise thing happed....regardless I'm wondering if the battery issue could have caused the alternator to fail...??? The alternator seems to turn ok without any significant resistance or issues.
I have not checked the glow plugs yet but will be doing that today. Also plan on checking the compression... and removing valve cover.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
There is one way to check to see if your alternator has failed.

Measure battery voltage with tractor OFF. You should see probably 12.6-12.8V (give/take a wee bit)
Start tractor. Make sure revs are up fairly well.
MEasure voltage at battery.
You should see 13.8-14.1V (give/take)

Report back.

If you ran your tractor with battery in backwards, you may have damaged your alternator, yes.,

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
yes, depending on the alternator design, you could have damaged it.
As long as you have a good, fully charged battery, you don't need the alternator to start or run the engine, should get hours of use.