Electrical issue B7100hst

jerhutch

Equipment
kabota b7100hst
Jan 24, 2023
Vine Grove, ky
Been having trouble starting the B7100hst.
I note that I'm not getting any current to the glow plugs.
There seems to be a short somewhere. Using my test light for current, putting the ground end on neg side of the battery and probe anywhere that's grounded, I get a light. When I turn the key to activate the glow plug, the light goes off, i.e., no current to glow plug.
Does not look like anyone has messed with the wiring.
I'm wondering if the switch is bad???
Any thoughts?

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Your test light actually measures voltage not current.
Putting the test light on ground and touching grounded surfaces (and seeing light) makes no sense whatsoever my friend.

Do you own a multimeter>?

The normal modus operandi would be to put your negative lead to ground and your positive lead to the glow plug bus bar and engage glow plugs and see if you have 9-10v. On some older tractors you may have a visible glow indicator through a peep hole in the dash. Do you have one and is it lighting up?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
First thing first ......... a "short" is a circuit that is closed -typically grounded out - in your case you have an "open" circuit not a short.

this does not make sense:

" putting the ground end on neg side of the battery and probe anywhere that's grounded, I get a light "

IF you are measuring continuity then this could be very true - but you cannot measure voltage nor amp flow with that test.

You have one of several problems.

A fuse is bad
a glow plug is bad
the glow indicator is bad
a wire is off somewhere

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
There is only ONE scenario that what he says happens, does make sense.
IF the big,fat 'ground' cable from the battery -ve to the chassis of the tractor is 'open', then the test light will turn on BUT the key has to be turned 'on' to get +12 'here,there,somewhere'...

However.he says light goes OFF when the switch is ON.....

sigh.....another 'have to be there to properly diagnose' problems....

Reactions: 2 users

jerhutch

Equipment
kabota b7100hst
Jan 24, 2023
Vine Grove, ky
Your test light actually measures voltage not current.
Putting the test light on ground and touching grounded surfaces (and seeing light) makes no sense whatsoever my friend.

Do you own a multimeter>?

The normal modus operandi would be to put your negative lead to ground and your positive lead to the glow plug bus bar and engage glow plugs and see if you have 9-10v. On some older tractors you may have a visible glow indicator through a peep hole in the dash. Do you have one and is it lighting up?
Guess I'm not making myself clear. I did use my multimeter , and the light, and I see 12 volts on any metal surface, e.g., fenders, etc. So there has to be a short somewhere. This is when the key/ignition is off. Also see a charge on the glow plugs, again key is off but when I turn the key to the glowplug charge, there's no current to the plugs. Only thing I can think of is a bad switch.

jerhutch

Equipment
kabota b7100hst
Jan 24, 2023
Vine Grove, ky
Guess I'm not making myself clear. I did use my multimeter , and the light, and I see 12 volts on any metal surface, e.g., fenders, etc. So there has to be a short somewhere. This is when the key/ignition is off. Also see a charge on the glow plugs, again key is off but when I turn the key to the glowplug charge, there's no current to the plugs. Only thing I can think of is a bad switch.
Note that I am not touching positive side of the battery.

jerhutch

Equipment
kabota b7100hst
Jan 24, 2023
Vine Grove, ky
There is only ONE scenario that what he says happens, does make sense.
IF the big,fat 'ground' cable from the battery -ve to the chassis of the tractor is 'open', then the test light will turn on BUT the key has to be turned 'on' to get +12 'here,there,somewhere'...

However.he says light goes OFF when the switch is ON.....

sigh.....another 'have to be there to properly diagnose' problems....
Does not make since to me either...that's why I am asking.....??? But I do understand all of your comments. I will look again when I get home to see if I have missed something. Hope I'm not just being stupid...???

jerhutch

Equipment
kabota b7100hst
Jan 24, 2023
Vine Grove, ky
20230130_124309.jpg
20230130_124142.jpg

Does not make since to me either...that's why I am asking.....??? But I do understand all of your comments. I will look again when I get home to see if I have missed something. Hope I'm not just being stupid...???
Ok...figured it out....I just purchased this tractor a few days ago....the battery was on backwards...posing vs neg.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
and that was the only solution left!!!!!! But I did not want to mention that! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Your meter won't lie. (usually)

Glad you got that part figured out at least.

What else is (possibly) smoked?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Now that you've got the reverse battery figured out, do you still have a starting issue?

jerhutch

Equipment
kabota b7100hst
Jan 24, 2023
Vine Grove, ky
Now that you've got the reverse battery figured out, do you still have a starting issue?
The glowplug worked - started right up, ran good for about 2 minutes, then very ban noise in the engine. I shut it right down, now it won't start. It will turn over but I think the engine is toast. Not sure what to do now.

jerhutch

Equipment
kabota b7100hst
Jan 24, 2023
Vine Grove, ky
I moved here in Kentucky from Kalispell Mt. Not far from northern Idaho....
The glowplug worked - started right up, ran good for about 2 minutes, then very ban noise in the engine. I shut it right down, now it won't start. It will turn over but I think the engine is toast. Not sure what to do now.
Here's what I think happened:
After I shut down the engine, I turned the key on and noticed that the glow plug light was on. Not sure why/how... I think it somehow stayed on...got to hot..

jerhutch

Equipment
kabota b7100hst
Jan 24, 2023
Vine Grove, ky
Here's what I think happened:
After I shut down the engine, I turned the key on and noticed that the glow plug light was on. Not sure why/how... I think it somehow stayed on...got to hot..
I did not change anything on /about the glowclubs other than %etting them to work via battery fix.

jerhutch

Equipment
kabota b7100hst
Jan 24, 2023
Vine Grove, ky
I did not change anything on /about the glowclubs other than %etting them to work via battery fix.
If my assumptions are correct, engine running with glowplugs lit up, would that cause engine failure within a minute or so? And, what is the likely damage?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
If my assumptions are correct, engine running with glowplugs lit up, would that cause engine failure within a minute or so? And, what is the likely damage?
Short answer - no, you could run the glow plugs 24-7 and the worse thing that would happen is they burn out over time.

When the engine quit - did it slam shut? OR slowly die?

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
First try turning the engine by hand, is it turning smooth or not?
Possible issue is that a glow plug got tooo hot and it fried, broke and is now in the cylinder with the piston.
Pulling the glow plugs will answer that question!
Also pulling the glow plugs will let you spin the motor easily.

jerhutch

Equipment
kabota b7100hst
Jan 24, 2023
Vine Grove, ky
Short answer - no, you could run the glow plugs 24-7 and the worse thing that would happen is they burn out over time.

When the engine quit - did it slam shut? OR slowly die?
The engine did not quit. I shut it down after making a loud scraping??? Like noise. It was not a clatter...kind of hard to explain. Sure sounded like something very bad...

jerhutch

Equipment
kabota b7100hst
Jan 24, 2023
Vine Grove, ky
First try turning the engine by hand, is it turning smooth or not?
Possible issue is that a glow plug got tooo hot and it fried, broke and is now in the cylinder with the piston.
Pulling the glow plugs will answer that question!
Also pulling the glow plugs will let you spin the motor easily.
The engine will turn over
...no problems there but will not start.