Electric winch controlled grapple on FEL

50 cal

Apr 26, 2016
Nova Scotia Canada
Hello guys this is my first post on orange tractor talks.
I pulled the trigger a few months back on a Kubota B2620 with front end loader and backhoe.
The only regret I have is I waited to long to do this.
I should have done it sooner
I'm wondering if anyone has fabricated a light duty brush grapple for there front end loader?
I'm thinking on controlling the grapple with an electric winch to keep costs down.
Any ideas or pictures or vids of one controlled like this would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
The force required to close/open grapple compared to running it hydraulically would be in my opinion cheaper in the long run to go with hydraulics. The thought of tangled up winch cable doesent thrill me very much. Hose is cheap and good cylinders can be easily found used for a reasonable price. The same goes for additional control. Easy if you have rear aux hydraulics.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Light duty, inexpensive, electric, no winch cable to tangle = linear actuator.

EG: http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Stroke-12...-Bracket-330-lbs-Max-Pound-Lift-/201505168747
Great idea, would look for one that would be like 900 lb. logic tells me that 330 lb would easily get damaged.

A few years back i built a grapple for the forks on the kubota. Worked very effectively for loading logs onto a wood processor. Until someone decided it was some sort of bulldozer and broke it. Multiple times. Whatever you build need to be as robust as the part you attatch it to.

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
I don't think a winch would work all that well. The force to close a grapple is pushing, not pulling. I would think in order for a winch to work the cable would be in the way of the load.

An electric actuator may be an inexpensive light duty solution if you don't have a 3rd function setup already, but if you have the 3rd function already it would make sense just to use that.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I have to agree, sometimes cheap will cost you a lot more down the road. Just MHO

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I know it's hard to choke down the cost of the 3rd function unit, hoses, Grapple, controls etc, but I got mine installed ( basically free installation no tax) at the dealer for $1,500. It now works flawlessly,( I had to tighten a set of fittings that leaked) has crazy power, and I know it's designed by someone more knowledgeable than I am, and it only took a couple hours for them to do it.
Sometimes buying isn't so bad. Sometimes building, rebuilding, repairing, etc isn't worth you time or effort.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Just for reference sake's, a normal sized hydraulic ram for a grapple will put out an average of 6100 lbs force without any mechanical help from leverage,
so you would need a huge and expensive linear actuator to even come close. ;)

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
One other option would be to add rear remotes if you have other uses for it. Run your grapple hoses to the back. Not as handy but, gives you full hydraulic force for less money and the option of other uses.

OC455

Equipment
BX2350 LED ROP, FEL, Belly mower,modified snow blower, pole boom, middle plow
Sep 30, 2016
Rome NY USA
Just for reference sake's, a normal sized hydraulic ram for a grapple will put out an average of 6100 lbs force without any mechanical help from leverage,
so you would need a huge and expensive linear actuator to even come close. ;)
And finding a linear actuator that would is just as expensive if not more so that a hydraulic ram it seems.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WARNER-LINE...980290?hash=item3393eaf242:g:N6AAAOSw~AVYtayC

This is a huge hydraulic ram...but it's kinda of a reference....not suggesting it. Just showing what the cost would be.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Large-5-Bor...894139?hash=item25cfd8fcbb:g:r1EAAOSwNSxVfKqT

I purchased a linear actuator for my snow blower chute deflector, I wouldn't consider it for a grapple. I'm all about tweaking and modding stuff, but cost, time and how well it will work sometimes you are better off buying OEM.