Eaton Hydro, Model 11, Bolens

HighSierra79

Equipment
B7100d, M6800 w/FEL, 7' mower, 7' box blade, 42" LP tiller, 5' rake
Sep 1, 2013
MO
Picked up an old Bolens 5020H. Hydro unit with Model 11 Eaton trans. Charge pump leaks like bad enough it irks me. The pump mounts onto the front of the hydro and fits into your hand when off. Simple rotor drive. Has two square cut o-rings for mounting seals. Do you think I can substitute those for some carefully placed silicone, or try new o-rings and remount the sucker and cross the fingers. About an hour job, and two gallons worth of hydro oil. Anyone have any input? Model 11 hydros were also used in wheel horse and toros as well, along with some others. All opinions welcomed.

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
New O-rings/seals. The lubrication holes in the pistons of the hydro drive and driven cylinders are wee little and too easily plugged to risk a little chunk of silicone from squeeze-out (pretty sure oil doesn't go back through the filter between charge pump and hydro drive on that set-up). Can probably get the right ones from an IH dealer if you know what model of old Cub Cadet that drive and charge unit were used on. Might be able to take them to NAPA too or give them the ring measurements and get replacements.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If you can't find the correct o-rings you can make them.

Find the material you need by looking for the same o-ring material in a larger then you need o-ring.

Take a sharp razor blade and cut the o-ring at a 45 deg. angle. Then determine the dia. you need and make another 45 deg cut to mate to the previous cut. Make the first cut a tad long so you get a second change if you make an error.

When you're satisfied you have the correct dia. take a straight pin (like you get in a new shirt) and cut the sharp end off about 3/8" long. Sharpen the cut off end the best you can. Insert the pin into the end that you cut the 45 deg. angle on in the very center of the o-ring.

Line up the other end and do the same thing. Just before you push them together put a drop on Super Glue on the cut, push together and hold for a moment.

You can actually buy a particular glue for this, but you don't need it.

I've used this method for making an o-ring for a disc mower. I've used it every hay season for 7 years without a leak.

Patience is a virtue!

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Looks like the charge pump assembly is different from what cub used. that idea is probably a dead end. Although I've used Cub hydro internals as spare parts to fix Simplicity so I guess you never know.