EA vs Homestead

MattN03

Equipment
2011 B3200, LA504 FEL w/B2366 SSQA conversion, BH76 BH, EA Wicked 55
Sep 5, 2016
KY
After seeing the Homestead grapple get bent and not being receptive to taking care of the customer, I decided all I was going to consider was EA. My Wickeder 55 (the newest version) took right at 6 months to arrive, but the thing is simply awesome. I know that if something breaks or gets tweaked, EA is going to take care of me and my grapple. Join the EA Facebook page and read the support stories on there. Customer service is absolutely the BEST in the business!

Reactions: 1 users

Whatscooking

Equipment
Grand L 3130. BX2360. RTV900. GRASSHOPPER 721D
May 19, 2021
Indiana
Seems like a grapple is a great investment. I can't keep up with the dead trees, thanks Ash Bore, on my property. I burn wood in my home and shop. When i bought my 3130 years ago i opted for the heavier loader, La723.
I like to get my chores done on my property efficiently so to have more time for motorcycle ridding. The wife likes that also which makes considering this purchase easier.

Reactions: 1 user

minthral

Equipment
Kubota L47
Nov 22, 2021
NC
I have never heard so much from a guy that has no idea what he is talking about because he does not own/use what he is talking about. Seriously, does homestead have an affiliate program giving you kick back or what?

Why all the sour grapes?

Someone abuses their EA grapple and loves it - you call them names and don't believe it? Odd - SMH.
What you state is opinion and emotional, but what I state is fact based on data.

lakehouse_dreaming

Equipment
L3901HST, LA525 FEL, RGA1258 tiller, RCR1860 rotary cutter
Nov 2, 2021
I ended up going with the EA Wicked 55". Ordered it 1-31 and was told 5-6 months. With the changes EA made on the lid going from DOM tubing to the hardox channel seems to make it even sturdier. I am sure either one would have been a great choice for my uses. Now its time to sit and wait until June/July.

One thing I did like about the Homestead over the EA is the flat bottom so it will stand on its own when not hooked to the tractor. However, I have some old railroad ties and fence post so I plan on building a stand for it.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I ended up going with the EA Wicked 55". Ordered it 1-31 and was told 5-6 months. With the changes EA made on the lid going from DOM tubing to the hardox channel seems to make it even sturdier. I am sure either one would have been a great choice for my uses. Now its time to sit and wait until June/July.

One thing I did like about the Homestead over the EA is the flat bottom so it will stand on its own when not hooked to the tractor. However, I have some old railroad ties and fence post so I plan on building a stand for it.
Land pride has little kick stands on each side that fold up/down. It would not take much to modify another product to do something similar and then you would also be able to set it somewhere you don’t have stand/dolly. Just a thought.

Attachments

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
Land pride has little kick stands on each side that fold up/down. It would not take much to modify another product to do something similar and then you would also be able to set it somewhere you don’t have stand/dolly. Just a thought.
That's not a bad idea either.. I was thinking of either making a platform to set it on a 4 wheel movers dolly or maybe weld up a small cart to set it on then I can roll it into a storage space...
Thanks for posting the photo.

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB, Homestead 55" grapple, LP 1684 rear blade, WR Long 84" snowplow
Nov 1, 2020
I made this for mine, the pallet it came on plus a few scraps of lumber and some casters.

Attachments

Whatscooking

Equipment
Grand L 3130. BX2360. RTV900. GRASSHOPPER 721D
May 19, 2021
Indiana
Ordered a 55 yesterday along with the quickhitch for my loader. I have a bunch of work lined up for it.

Reactions: 2 users

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
What you state is opinion and emotional, but what I state is fact based on data.
ROFLMAO - I think "facts" mean something different where you are from. You don't happen to compile Covid statistics for the CDC do you?

• Haha

minthral

Equipment
Kubota L47
Nov 22, 2021
NC
ROFLMAO - I think "facts" mean something different where you are from. You don't happen to compile Covid statistics for the CDC do you?
Unlike Ted's sale talk, spec sheets don't lie. EA 55 grapple is less heavy duty, more expensive, smaller opening, and much longer lead time than the Homestead pinnacle 55, which also features mechanical lid backstops, angled corners everywhere, a stand, and superior schedule 80 tubing braces (instead of DOM...and hoses that don't rub against sharp edges). EA weighs 70 LB less, so I guess that good for tiny tractors.

Chill out. You're the one name calling and throwing tantrums.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Unlike Ted's sale talk, spec sheets don't lie. EA 55 grapple is less heavy duty, more expensive, smaller opening, and much longer lead time than the Homestead pinnacle 55, which also features mechanical lid backstops, angled corners everywhere, a stand, and superior schedule 80 tubing braces (instead of DOM...and hoses that don't rub against sharp edges). EA weighs 70 LB less, so I guess that good for tiny tractors.

Chill out. You're the one name calling and throwing tantrums.
And despite your assertion that Homestead makes a superior product, there are videos showing a Homestead grapple damaged doing reasonable work and EA grapples unscathed despite multiple videos showing them being abused. I notice that the same anti EA types keep showing up and liking your posts, the ones that know more than everyone else, can do a better job than anyone else, could run a company better than anyone else. What a joke! One of them showed something he'd made and I wouldn't buy a friggin' paper bag from that clown.

Weight is a data point, true, but what it doesn't reveal is strength to weight ratio and design. Is Sch.80 superior to DOM, well that depends on the use, the design etc. Also, perhaps you missed the memo where EA resolved the hose rubbing issue a while back despite no known cases of hose rupture. Homestead has at least one known lid failure and upgraded the lid to Sch. 80 but no mention from you about that.

If you follow this thread closely, you'll notice that members are stating that they just ordered an EA grapple despite the long lead times. As I keep saying, EA is the ONLY company showing videos of their implements being tested, and without a doubt they're the most transparent implement company out their with videos of their factory showing implements being made. They also have the best CS in the business with excellent communication and support for their ever-growing customer base.

I've handed EA close to $9k over the last year and will be happy to hand over more money for well thought out, well executed, and well proven rugged implements.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
geez mcmxi, I only get that worked up about college basketball!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
geez mcmxi, I only get that worked up about college basketball!
You think this is me worked up? Not even close.

I'd much rather be on a tractor doing a project than watching sports. And getting worked up watching people throw a ball around .... uh, no!

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
And despite your assertion that Homestead makes a superior product, there are videos showing a Homestead grapple damaged doing reasonable work and EA grapples unscathed despite multiple videos showing them being abused. I notice that the same anti EA types keep showing up and liking your posts, the ones that know more than everyone else, can do a better job than anyone else, could run a company better than anyone else. What a joke! One of them showed something he'd made and I wouldn't buy a friggin' paper bag from that clown.

Weight is a data point, true, but what it doesn't reveal is strength to weight ratio and design. Is Sch.80 superior to DOM, well that depends on the use, the design etc. Also, perhaps you missed the memo where EA resolved the hose rubbing issue a while back despite no known cases of hose rupture. Homestead has at least one known lid failure and upgraded the lid to Sch. 80 but no mention from you about that.

If you follow this thread closely, you'll notice that members are stating that they just ordered an EA grapple despite the long lead times. As I keep saying, EA is the ONLY company showing videos of their implements being tested, and without a doubt they're the most transparent implement company out their with videos of their factory showing implements being made. They also have the best CS in the business with excellent communication and support for their ever-growing customer base.

I've handed EA close to $9k over the last year and will be happy to hand over more money for well thought out, well executed, and well proven rugged implements.
How much is Ted paying you to bash Homestead?

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
How much is Ted paying you to bash Homestead?
If you bothered to read through this thread you'd realize that I'm not bashing Homestead's products. I've made the point that it's good for all of us when American manufacturers improve their products. Homestead did just that and made a point of it on their website where they mention upgrading the lid. What they didn't do is handle the damaged lid situation well. EA customer service is exemplary as is their transparency. Homestead could learn a lot from EA.

As for Ted paying me, call him up and ask him if the customer in NW Montana that has had to pay shipping on four implements since he's outside the 1,000 mile free delivery radius is getting any kickbacks, discounts or similar from EA. What a pathetic and desperate assertion on your part.

I say good things about Kubota all the time but no one accuses me of being on their payroll. When I have experience with a product or service that meets or exceeds all of my expectations I will go the extra mile for that company by supporting them with future purchases and talking about their products on a public forum. I've bought three Kubota tractors and unabashedly rave about them to anyone that will listen, including my dentist who was thinking about buying a John Deere. He came up to the house and was able to inspect and drive both MX tractors. Guess what he'll be buying this year!

minthral

Equipment
Kubota L47
Nov 22, 2021
NC
You just pointed out your reasoning. You will always buy just Kubota and EA because it’s a comfort thing for you. Sorry, but the bias runs deep…

I am not brand loyal like you. I’ll buy whatever is good at the time and at the right price. I don’t care if it’s Kubota or something else.

From an outside perspective of someone who isn’t an EA or Homestead customer or fanboy, I can see very little reason to purchase EA over Homestead. Actually, not sure why anyone would pay substantially more and wait 6 months for EA for products that are worse on spec sheets.

Again, the reason people flock to EA is because of their good marketing. So many youtube videos out there and fans like you. I personally can look past sales pitches and focus on the facts.

I did call homestead to talk about their products. They do have really good customer service. I also called EA and from the voice, it sounded like I was talking to Ted. They were condescending and didn’t want to try make a sales pitch…apparently their products sell themselves and they’re already booked up.

Oh and fact that you say you spent 9k in last year for EA, I can understand why you’re being so defensive. I would too…

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
With one company, I know when one breaks, the company fixes the problem with the customer.

The other company blames the customer, does not make it right and leaves him holding the broken implement.

CS (which you short-handed for Customer Service) from Homestead is actually the opposite of what CS (or customer service) is supposed to be, so I can see the confusion.

So now you can go find out the meaning of two new words that have you confused - "facts" and "service".

Glad I could help.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
You just pointed out your reasoning. You will always buy just Kubota and EA because it’s a comfort thing for you. Sorry, but the bias runs deep…
Uh ... look at my signature. I have implements from Land Pride (rotary cutter, snow blade, rear snow blower, rear blade, quick hitch), Kubota (pallet forks), EA (grapple, box blade, land leveler, cutting edge) and Ranette Iron Works (rock bucket). I'll buy implements from a whole host of companies if they meet my needs. If I were looking for a tractor for a farm I'd consider New Holland, Case, Kubota, Kioti and some others.

Am I biased when it comes to Kubota for my current tractor and generator needs? Heck yeah! That's what happens when a company has never let me down in six years of ownership, including three different tractors and a generator. For me the Kubota experience has been nothing short of amazing whether it's the products, the financing, the service, the sales staff etc. My two-year John Deere experience was none of those things.

Last edited:

Recuts

Equipment
L3901. RC1860 BB1260
Mar 24, 2021
Finger Lakes
That single video has done Homestead much more harm than they probably realize. The user conveniently didn't show exactly how the grapple got bent, so I am not sure who was at fault and I don't trust that his claims are 100% accurate. The main problem is that when I searched for Homestead grapple, that is the first video that comes up. I have searched for videos showing the grapple in a different light, but, other than the "How 'Bout Ya!" guy, there is nothing out there that proves it to be as tough as we need it to be. So, even though I really wanted to buy from Homestead because they are in my state, I felt that I had to eliminate them based on the available information. They may be great...but they need to show it. Had it not been for that video, I likely would have taken the chance. I ordered a Wicked 55 this week and hope to get it delivered by July.

Last edited: