EA vs Homestead

minthral

Equipment
Kubota L47
Nov 22, 2021
NC
The chain is exerting a point load on the lid rather than a distributed load which greatly increases the chance of buckling an inferior lid. Also, if the object is fixed in the ground you're not going to get the kind of momentum you can get with a chain connected to secure object because the tractor isn't able to move rearward before the load increases. Ted pulls on the lid both in line with the loader/lid and perpendicular to the lid.

But once again, EA is the only manufacturer regularly showing these sorts of tests. As Ted says in the video ...

"I've read on some grapples that look similar to this and it says no pulling allowed, no back dragging
allowed, and that's what a rake grapple's for so I don't really understand that. As far as we're concerned you can do pretty much do anything you want to with this."

View attachment 74166
LOL again sales talk. Look at what it says on their website!

This also tells you exactly what would happen if you called them with a bent lid...

*NOTICE*
If you want to push or pry trees/stumps/roots/boulders and other solid and/or embedded objects, do it with the lower tines.
Root rake top lid is designed for raking loose material backwards. With the new wickeder design, you can even pull or rake harder than before, but it is not meant to be pushed on as in pushing on trees with the lid. The new design allows it to have 20% more pulling and raking force, but if pushed on it is possible to tweak the lid. We have had a few out of 1,000 that have been tweaked, and after receiving pictures of the tweaked lids, it is clear they are using the lid to push trees which is unintended use. The warranty remains in 100% effect for pulling and clamping, but not pushing on trees or boulders. Here are a few pictures showing lids that we have replaced from pushing on trees.

minthral

Equipment
Kubota L47
Nov 22, 2021
NC
AT BEST, that is about 2000 LB of 'dangling gentle force.' Its MUCH less because you're using the loader as a leaver. When you have all 4 wheels on the ground and ram a stump directly, you're doing maybe 10 times that.

Ted 'yea you can do whatever you want to this grapple.' Website and technical info says otherwise. You don't find that sleazy???

Don't you realize those videos are nothing but commercials by sales people to get you to buy their product?

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
LOL again sales talk. Look at what it says on their website!

This also tells you exactly what would happen if you called them with a bent lid...

*NOTICE*
If you want to push or pry trees/stumps/roots/boulders and other solid and/or embedded objects, do it with the lower tines.
Root rake top lid is designed for raking loose material backwards. With the new wickeder design, you can even pull or rake harder than before, but it is not meant to be pushed on as in pushing on trees with the lid. The new design allows it to have 20% more pulling and raking force, but if pushed on it is possible to tweak the lid. We have had a few out of 1,000 that have been tweaked, and after receiving pictures of the tweaked lids, it is clear they are using the lid to push trees which is unintended use. The warranty remains in 100% effect for pulling and clamping, but not pushing on trees or boulders. Here are a few pictures showing lids that we have replaced from pushing on trees.

A bent lid from pushing, not pulling. The Homestead was damaged by pulling, not pushing. That's the point.

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
AT BEST, that is about 2000 LB of 'dangling gentle force.' Its MUCH less because you're using the loader as a leaver. When you have all 4 wheels on the ground and ram a stump directly, you're doing maybe 10 times that.

Ted 'yea you can do whatever you want to this grapple.' Website and technical info says otherwise. You don't find that sleazy???

Don't you realize those videos are nothing but commercials by sales people to get you to buy their product?
What's sleezy. Ted demonstrates pulling on the lid, not pushing on the lid. He addresses the issue of pushing on the website. It's a rake grapple after all.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

Who's talking about ramming ... can you really not see the difference between pushing and pulling when it comes to these grapples.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I just have a very hard time understanding why someone doesn't doesn't use the proper implement for the task at hand ?
Whether the operator is pushing or pulling, the stresses will be about the same on the 2 hinge pins and steel frame 'unit'. Be far better off using a chain to the drawbar..

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB, Homestead 55" grapple, LP 1684 rear blade, WR Long 84" snowplow
Nov 1, 2020
I am sure both are excellent products, however, there exists a tool that is extremely efficient at removing trees, even designed for it, some might say. It is called a chainsaw! Fell your trees with it, use whatever grapple you choose to move the resulting brush and logs. No abuse! I certainly don't try to plow my drive with a grapple, not designed for that. Oh, and let's let this thread die with the dignity it deserves. Stay safe, all.

Reactions: 2 users

minthral

Equipment
Kubota L47
Nov 22, 2021
NC
Pushing and pulling would do the same damage to a steel metal rod... I thought that was common sense? Question is about force exerted, where metal wont bend up until a limit, which is quite easy to reach with a hammer with enough momentum and weight. Very difficult to bend metal with a sponge...

The fandom of EA is AMAZING!

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
This thread is as good or better than many of the oil and grease threads. Definitely rate it 2 bowls of popcorn and 3 beers. Amazing how some people will defend their brand of choice right to the very end and bash other ones.

Reactions: 3 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
I don't care what brand of grapple you own and abuse, it's still NOT the tool for pushing or pulling over trees.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
This thread is as good or better than many of the oil and grease threads. Definitely rate it 2 bowls of popcorn and 3 beers. Amazing how some people will defend their brand of choice right to the very end and bash other ones.
This thread isn't about bashing one product over another. It's mostly about presenting facts in the form of specs, videos, company polices etc. For some it's about opinion and nothing else. The opinion that a grapple shouldn't be used for this or that, the opinion that the test performed in a video is fraudulent, the opinion that long lead times are unacceptable. Facts help people make informed choices.

We're all free to make up our own minds based on facts or opinion, or a combination of both. But seriously, one member here stated " Imho, the Homestead is equal to the EA, although I have no experience with the EA. " That's a laughable statement. That's like saying me and my neighbor have the same amount of money, but I have no idea how much money he has. Unfortunately, in this current say anything fact-free, fake news culture, this kind of meaningless statement is meaningful for far too many.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
I chose EA because unlike all of the other grapples I looked at I liked the design and features of theirs the best. That said I ordered mine back in the middle of September '21 I just emailed them to see where I was in the build list and it looks like late February - Early March to get it. Currently they have 469 grapples one order. I guess that means I'm not the only one that thinks they have the best value for what you get.

Since I don't plan on using it till the snow melts and the ground firms up it's not a big deal to wait for it.
Just my $0.02

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB, Homestead 55" grapple, LP 1684 rear blade, WR Long 84" snowplow
Nov 1, 2020
This thread isn't about bashing one product over another. It's mostly about presenting facts in the form of specs, videos, company polices etc. For some it's about opinion and nothing else. The opinion that a grapple shouldn't be used for this or that, the opinion that the test performed in a video is fraudulent, the opinion that long lead times are unacceptable. Facts help people make informed choices.

We're all free to make up our own minds based on facts or opinion, or a combination of both. But seriously, one member here stated " Imho, the Homestead is equal to the EA, although I have no experience with the EA. " That's a laughable statement. That's like saying me and my neighbor have the same amount of money, but I have no idea how much money he has. Unfortunately, in this current say anything fact-free, fake news culture, this kind of meaningless statement is meaningful for far too many.
Laughable, indeed. That was my statement, based on the facts that are in the specifications.
I do not make a statement that is fact free fake news. I suggest you take your name calling back to FB. Have a nice day, sir.

minthral

Equipment
Kubota L47
Nov 22, 2021
NC
Laughable, indeed. That was my statement, based on the facts that are in the specifications.
I do not make a statement that is fact free fake news. I suggest you take your name calling back to FB. Have a nice day, sir.
Amen. Specs sheets don't lie like sales talks or Ted's videos do. Homestead 'standard' grapple is more heavy duty than 55 wicked EA, but heavier (1/4 vs 5/16 steel). The EA wicked 60 is more heavy duty than homestead (and cost significantly more), but homestead makes a utility grapple more heavy duty probably good enough for large skid steer or any tractor and the price is reasonable (4k).

If you buy ANY grapple and abuse it, chances are you'll tweak/bend it, especially when it's undersized.

Something not many people mention is if you got a decent sized tractor (L series+), 55 inches is tiny and you can't even see where the thing is when lowered. You want 60 inch+ to even see it lowered. Homestead makes 72 inch weighing less than 400 LB with AR450 steer...significantly better than 55 inch when doing raking or normal tasks like lifting logs.

Price and availability wise, the data says homestead grapple wins. The data doesn't lie, but EA marketing is strong and expect you to just drink the cool-aid. If anyone wants to eat 'Ted Talks' why wicked 55 is magical, go ahead. As long as you're running the wicked 55 on a under 40 HP tractor and have common sense on not abusing it, I'm sure you'll be fine. My money is on a homestead though based on multiple factors.

Newaterman

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC, Z422-54KW
Feb 14, 2021
Vermont
This "out of stock" , must pre-order, wait for everything economy, is looking a lot like Russia of the relatively recent past.
honestly this is one of the more spoiled boomer things I’ve heard in a while. Well maybe this week.

In any number of the hobbies I’ve had, or even in my line of work, ordering ahead and experiencing long wait times has been the norm my entire life. The hobbies being especially relevant as for so many of the tractor owners on here, this really is just a useful hobby item.

I can remember having to order a new sea kayaking for guiding and trip work six months out to get exactly what I wanted. A friend who still guides has to do the same now. Every other year, six months out.

new facing wire winches, and not overly large or electrically powered ones mind you, for the tugboat I run? 3-4 month lead time which was pretty standard.

this entire very American consumerist attitude of anything I need must be in stock in the color I want or things are descending into chaos was never sustainable.

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
honestly this is one of the more spoiled boomer things I’ve heard in a while. Well maybe this week.

In any number of the hobbies I’ve had, or even in my line of work, ordering ahead and experiencing long wait times has been the norm my entire life. The hobbies being especially relevant as for so many of the tractor owners on here, this really is just a useful hobby item.

I can remember having to order a new sea kayaking for guiding and trip work six months out to get exactly what I wanted. A friend who still guides has to do the same now. Every other year, six months out.

new facing wire winches, and not overly large or electrically powered ones mind you, for the tugboat I run? 3-4 month lead time which was pretty standard.

this entire very American consumerist attitude of anything I need must be in stock in the color I want or things are descending into chaos was never sustainable.
The world has changed, and I strongly suspect that my feet have traveled a lot more of this earth for a far longer time than yours.
There is a big difference between ordering winches and kayaks , and being unable to buy cream cheese, or toilet paper.
If your grocery store shelves are fully stocked you should consider yourself fortunate.

Newaterman

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC, Z422-54KW
Feb 14, 2021
Vermont
The world has changed, and I strongly suspect that my feet have traveled a lot more of this earth for a far longer time than yours.
There is a big difference between ordering winches and kayaks , and being unable to buy cream cheese, or toilet paper.
If your grocery store shelves are fully stocked you should consider yourself fortunate.
If you’re that desperate for cream cheese I’ll go down the street to the Cabot factory and mail you some when I get home. Thought I’m not sure what cream cheese, lettuce and toilet paper have to do with equipment shortages.

panic buying aside, I haven’t seen much in the way of major shortages in the northeast for food items. There was chicken breast at one point in maybe the summer of 2020? Of course when I asked at the supermarket the meat department guy told me all of a sudden people came in and started buying it by the cart load that week. Thanks channel five news.

I do consider myself fortunate, but we also keep a fair amount of things we need and like on hand, buy things before we’re out of them, and don’t think the world is ending when I can’t get them on a Saturday if we’re out.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
re: don’t think the world is ending when I can’t get them on a Saturday if we’re out.

we ALL have a HUGE problem if the sun 'disappears' for 8.333 minutes...
until then, well, life is a compromise.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
If you’re that desperate for cream cheese I’ll go down the street to the Cabot factory and mail you some when I get home. Thought I’m not sure what cream cheese, lettuce and toilet paper have to do with equipment shortages.

panic buying aside, I haven’t seen much in the way of major shortages in the northeast for food items. There was chicken breast at one point in maybe the summer of 2020? Of course when I asked at the supermarket the meat department guy told me all of a sudden people came in and started buying it by the cart load that week. Thanks channel five news.

I do consider myself fortunate, but we also keep a fair amount of things we need and like on hand, buy things before we’re out of them, and don’t think the world is ending when I can’t get them on a Saturday if we’re out.
Cream cheese, lettuce, and toilet paper obviously have absolutely no relationship to equipment shortages.
They are simply 3 items......... among a widespread list of daily use products, that are now sometimes "unobtainium'" without a search.

Last edited:

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Amen. Specs sheets don't lie like sales talks or Ted's videos do. Homestead 'standard' grapple is more heavy duty than 55 wicked EA, but heavier (1/4 vs 5/16 steel). The EA wicked 60 is more heavy duty than homestead (and cost significantly more), but homestead makes a utility grapple more heavy duty probably good enough for large skid steer or any tractor and the price is reasonable (4k).

If you buy ANY grapple and abuse it, chances are you'll tweak/bend it, especially when it's undersized.

Something not many people mention is if you got a decent sized tractor (L series+), 55 inches is tiny and you can't even see where the thing is when lowered. You want 60 inch+ to even see it lowered. Homestead makes 72 inch weighing less than 400 LB with AR450 steer...significantly better than 55 inch when doing raking or normal tasks like lifting logs.

Price and availability wise, the data says homestead grapple wins. The data doesn't lie, but EA marketing is strong and expect you to just drink the cool-aid. If anyone wants to eat 'Ted Talks' why wicked 55 is magical, go ahead. As long as you're running the wicked 55 on a under 40 HP tractor and have common sense on not abusing it, I'm sure you'll be fine. My money is on a homestead though based on multiple factors.
I have never heard so much from a guy that has no idea what he is talking about because he does not own/use what he is talking about. Seriously, does homestead have an affiliate program giving you kick back or what?

Why all the sour grapes?

Someone abuses their EA grapple and loves it - you call them names and don't believe it? Odd - SMH.