E m p

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Last week I was talking to a friend I have known since preschool,,and he has always been a bit of a strange duck he would build shelters in the woods when we were kids and it has grown, as he believes in the SHTF, and I know of 2 bunkers he has put together,with all the stuff you might need to survive,, but I digress,,,, we were talking and he mentioned about EMP attacks, and how it will take out all elctronic gear and cars and puters and so on.. And I said it wouldnt effect my little Bouta,, he said it would kill it as well,, Sooo someone that knows a great deal more than I please explain how a diesel would be effected by and EMP?

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Must be something in the water! My girlfriend has said to me several times that there is some dark forces conspiring and that all of us in the U.S. would have to turn in our weapons to the government. Also something about the government setting up camps threw out the state's so that when the time comes there will be plenty of people to enforce the law.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Aint so sure its in the water my friend,, here is a list of FEMA camps used for what I don’t have a clue, but there’s a lot of info on FEMA camps on the net, true or not again I don't know. All I know are there is 5 here in Pa. See how many you have... Im not a believer in the one world order thing, not that I don't trust the gubbermint, or anything,,,,

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...d=118135173934136151745.00045bc25ee928a8872d0

Now back to our regularly scheduled broadcast,, So Will an EMP blast knock out a diesel motor???

bwssr

Equipment
l3200, FEL and Box blade...more to come
Feb 29, 2012
Houston, Texas
I the bota has a computer..it could....funny when the Doomsday Preppers show was on, they would push the EMP stuff...then would relie on GPS to find their cash of supplies.....

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Aint so sure its in the water my friend,, here is a list of FEMA camps used for what I don’t have a clue, but there’s a lot of info on FEMA camps on the net, true or not again I don't know. All I know are there is 5 here in Pa. See how many you have... Im not a believer in the one world order thing, not that I don't trust the gubbermint, or anything,,,,

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...d=118135173934136151745.00045bc25ee928a8872d0

Now back to our regularly scheduled broadcast,, So Will an EMP blast knock out a diesel motor???
Only if it's computer- managed. Or, the ignition is computer-based. My B7100, should be fine. So should my 94 Dodge truck. The only computer is the PCM for overdrive, and the ABS controller. It can operate without either one.
I was visiting a neighbor friend, who believes in WTSHTF. He had 6 guns, loaded and chambered, within 10 feet of his bed. He has over 30 guns total inside the house, loaded and chambered.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Um can somebody kindly explain to me WTF is E M P and WTSHTF and the SHTF

Last edited:

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Eric its "Electro magnetic pulse" and the other is basically "when the crap hits the fan" so to speak.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Last edited:

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
EMP will fry anything that is electrical, computer or not. Look at the huge solar flare that happened in 1859 knocked out all telegraph lines. There where no computers then.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
All of this brings me back to my question,,Will an EMP kill my BX?

Ach

Equipment
Kubota B6000 DT with B219 Loader
Mar 1, 2011
Big Island, Hawaii, USA
My understanding is that non shielded electronic equipment would be in danger, with the caveat that the inverse square law applies to EMPs.

So, if an EMP source went off near the tractor, there would be a chance of your battery, starter, alternator, turn signals, cutoff switch and possibly your glow plugs being blown out by the pulse. However, the simplicity of your electric system would help protect it, along with the fact that your electrical system is partially shielded by the hood/tractor acting as a shield.

If your tractor were running at the time it would certainly increase the risk of blowing out part or all of your system. Again, application of the inverse square law means that any EMP source would have to be rather close to your tractor to cause an effect. Unless it was a nuke, both you and your bota would likely be just fine.

tempforce

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Jun 23, 2012
bastrop, tx
'hodge' your dodge is less sensitive to a emp. but the electronics will get zapped. as will the controller for your charging system. if your truck was 15 years older you would be better off. as fewer electronic vehicle devices were used back then.
almost all radios will fry, electronic circuits, electronic start circuits and dimmers for lights.
anything using a coil or rheostats will be zapped. all power transformers will be junk after a emp.
tube type amps and radios. mechanical fuel injection. points and coil ignitions may survive.
anything using electronic ignition like dodge has been using from the late 70's up will be dead....
if we have a solar flare that strong we will have more issues to worry about, than wanting to drive to the store.....
if you buy a standby gen set. it needs to be shielded and isolated from the grid and inside a grounded metal shed..

if your tractor is left outside. the bota, charging system will be junk, as will any electronic gauges or device using a coil... if you put a grounding strap on your tractor, like fuel trucks use to prevent static electricity. the emp will have less effect on the tractor.

now if you have a grounded metal building to store your tractor in. and have a ground cable attached to your tractor. most likely your tractor would survive without any damage... if your building is earth bermed, it would be even safer...

Last edited:

gurn

Equipment
Kubota L175
Apr 15, 2011
Nashville,Tn
Wow, we would be back in the dark ages then if we had a bad solar storm it sounds like. Scary thought no ac oh no!