Dug big hole with MX5100

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
NASA should ask YOU to plan their biosphere. :D

If I will ever do a vacation again in the States I have to visit you.

You are a busy man and I can imagine how it is, away from your place and thousand plans in your head what to do... :rolleyes:

Have fun!

Carl
Thanks Carl, would be great to have you over for a visit.

The work never stops around here, I have so many things put off while I finish this job. Heck even my house is in the middle of a remodel. Still need to finish the hardy plank siding on the outside. To much to do.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
MAN!!!!! My set up was nothing like what your doing,, An outstanding project and well thought out,, I wish you well my friend and when your done put together a post with it from beginning to end pictures!

twostep

Equipment
B5100E
Jun 10, 2012
Ky
Love what you are doing here! Keep up the good work and keep up the pictures!

Question, so it make sure I understand, the "fish poo water" pumps into the beds (that are filled with river rock) around the clock or just certain times?

Another question; what is the reason for the retaining walls? Can the beds not be set on the ground as well as the "green water" fish pond?

Last question; all of the water you are using to fill the ponds... where'd you get it?

edit: if these questions are answered on the link you just posted no need to reply.... i'm reading that thread now :)

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Very impressive! I wish I could do something along those lines. Here in the Phoenix area, the plants would die & the fish would boil, and both here & at my place in the mountains it would take a huge track hoe with a jack hammer attachment, a D6 Cat, and a case of dynamite to dig a hole like that.
:mad::(:rolleyes:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
When the OL had the greenhouses excuse me her herb houses,, and yes it was really herbs the cooking kind,, I had stuff planted in halfed 4inch pvc pipe with gravel and screen on top I had a small kiddy pool for the water pump it in and let it drain out back to the pool,,,, The kids caught a bunch of bluegills and dumped them in the kiddy pool,, it was amazing how much better stuff grew with the fish poo being pumped through them,, never knew what it was called but yeah I guess I did something like that,, got the idea from an old Mother Earth News

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
Love what you are doing here! Keep up the good work and keep up the pictures!
Thanks will do

Question, so it make sure I understand, the "fish poo water" pumps into the beds (that are filled with river rock) around the clock or just certain times?
You are correct, the fish poo (ammonia) is converted by bacteria to Nitrites, then another bacteria converts the nitrites to Nitrates which is what the plants eat. They pump runs all the time.

Another question; what is the reason for the retaining walls? Can the beds not be set on the ground as well as the "green water" fish pond?
The only purpose for the retaining was was so I could go partially underground to help with cooling and heating of the fish tank and green house. Above ground the temp of the fish tank would change constantly which is not good for tilapia

Last question; all of the water you are using to fill the ponds... where'd you get it?
I got the water from my well.

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
Very impressive! I wish I could do something along those lines. Here in the Phoenix area, the plants would die & the fish would boil, and both here & at my place in the mountains it would take a huge track hoe with a jack hammer attachment, a D6 Cat, and a case of dynamite to dig a hole like that.
:mad::(:rolleyes:
I don't think your temps are much different than ours. I am going to get shade cloth to protect my plants during the heat of summer. And the fish tank is below ground so it is going to try to stay 67F because of the ground temp.

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
When the OL had the greenhouses excuse me her herb houses,, and yes it was really herbs the cooking kind,, I had stuff planted in halfed 4inch pvc pipe with gravel and screen on top I had a small kiddy pool for the water pump it in and let it drain out back to the pool,,,, The kids caught a bunch of bluegills and dumped them in the kiddy pool,, it was amazing how much better stuff grew with the fish poo being pumped through them,, never knew what it was called but yeah I guess I did something like that,, got the idea from an old Mother Earth News
Cool, yes you where using aquaponics. I love Mother Earth news.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yeah I started reading MEN back in the 70's but gave it cause after about 4 years they started running the same old same old all over again,, Ya doin good my friend! Oh and I did see how helo got his bouta stuck helo got his bouta stuck,,,lol gawd that is some nasty lookin mud I bet when it drys it harder than an oldwhoresheart

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
Yeah I started reading MEN back in the 70's but gave it cause after about 4 years they started running the same old same old all over again,, Ya doin good my friend! Oh and I did see how helo got his bouta stuck helo got his bouta stuck,,,lol gawd that is some nasty lookin mud I bet when it drys it harder than an oldwhoresheart
Yeah it was stuck big time. Tried to use the FEL but it didn't have enough power to push the tractor up hill. Had to pull it out with the Nissan Titan.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Couldnt have been stuck that bad then cause if it was you would have needed a chevy;):D:rolleyes:

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
Putting up my temporary small greenhouse. This is only to get me through this winter, hopefully by next winter the entire structure is a green house.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
That's pretty ok,, not really crazy about your work platform but hey ya didn't fall,,,lol Looks like its coming along pretty good there my friend

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
Got to work with what you have. It was actually more stable than it looks. The ladder locks into the bed on the big red really tight. It feels better than when on the ground. It does not shake at all.

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
This is an awesome and impressive project...

Thanks for posting!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Thanks, can't wait to finish it
Like the mans says.. one step one day,, It will all come together one day you will step back and say aint that pretty,, Hmmmm now I wonder how I can change it,,,lol
Take care my friend :D