Dual axle trailer brakes question. Do I need trailer brakes?

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky
Looking good!

My suggestion is to use rough sawn white oak, call some local lumber/saw mills and inquiry about it, I did my 16' trailer for about $180 last year. After it's dried good, paint it with used engine oil to waterproof it. PT lumber is hard on the steel framing and screws it touches, and it shrinks a bunch when drying.
Thanks Kenny.
After I did my research I found everything you said to be exactly what my research turned up.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I'd let the wood cure out until mid summer, they on a hot day spread linseed oil on the wood and brush it around with an old/cheap paint brush. You do that a couple times each summer and the wood will last 30 years, if you don't tear it up somehow!

Don't paint or cover the bottom of the boards. Also lay the boards on the iron so the curve of the growth rings face down!

Last edited:

tempforce

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Jun 23, 2012
bastrop, tx
when doing your welding, you might consider building a steel frame around your tail lites, to protect them from damage. replacing tail-lites gets to be a pain...

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky
when doing your welding, you might consider building a steel frame around your tail lites, to protect them from damage. replacing tail-lites gets to be a pain...
Yeah great ideal because I always knock them off and the lights on this frame are sticking out of the side pretty far and are asking for me to knock them off first time I use it.

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky
Thanks for all the advice on my project.

It is not done yet but I figure I will give you guys a better look at it.

This is the first trailer I’ve rebuilt so please let me know if something doesn’t look right so I know better next time.

https://youtu.be/993RyYEFJRI

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Nice job, and the right color!

Two suggestions. Get some square tubing that will fit over you tail lights and weld that to the bracket your lights are attached to, and insert the lights in there. They will last MUCH longer. You only need two pieces about 5" long!

Then where your wiring goes through the steel, you probably don't have a big enough hole to split a hose to make a bushing, but you could use some silicone caulking to fill in around the wire sheath to give added protection.

What's your next project?

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
My dash cam will prove who is at fault, I don’t leave it up to a judgment call from corrupted cops.
What necessary equipment? Kentucky law is you are NOT required to have ANY extra equipment to assist with braking when hauling a trailer.

If someone pulled out in front of me when I have the right of way my dash cam will show that I was not at fault.
With dash cam proof and no law requiring trailer brakes I could easily win any argument from any stupid person who tried to put me at fault for some idiot pulling out in front of me.
That same dash cam would also show you failing to stop in time for the car suddenly stopping ahead of you because you are driving too close and overloaded if you don't have brakes on your trailer. Or maybe you didn't notice the car ahead of you stopping because you were texting and driving...

Stopping is always easier when you are going up hill. Problem is you go down hills too. Your truck brakes aren't built to take the heat - especially towing a heavy load on a brakeless trailer. Is your truck brand new? It'll probably make the stop. An old POS truck with no regular maintenance? I see way too many of those being driven by guys with their heads down texting and driving and weaving around.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
That same dash cam would also show you failing to stop in time for the car suddenly stopping ahead of you because you are driving too close and overloaded if you don't have brakes on your trailer. Or maybe you didn't notice the car ahead of you stopping because you were texting and driving...
You don't even really need a dashcam for that. Most vehicles built in the last 15 years include a "black box" recorder that will timestamp events like vehicle speed, brake application, ABS wheel sensor and airbag shock sensor data.

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky
Thanks everybody for the advice on the trailer brakes.
I got them hooked up yesterday and WOW what a difference.
When stopping it’s almost like there is no trailer behind.
This is my first trailer with brakes and I am glad that I spent the extra time and money to install brakes on the trailer. Unbelievable the difference.

I finished the project yesterday and I am glad to move on to my next project.