Dryer cleaning. PSA

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
The wife said the dryer was taking double the time to dry a load. It’s at least 10 yrs old, electric and never cleaned. I pulled it apart and the lint was at least 3” deep across everything and the lint on top of the heating element was charred pretty deep. We were probably a few loads away from a dryer fire. The vent from the lint trap was about 75% blocked. Not sure why I never cleaned it in the past, but it will be on my annual task list. I spent about an hour getting the lint out and disassembled what I could to get it clean. Past the squirrel fan it was pretty clean surprisingly. I ordered a flexible brush with attachable segments to get it out to 40’ and I will clean the horizontal run that goes out of the house once the storms subside. If you haven’t cleaned your dryer, pop that bottom panel and take a look.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Just looked at ours. Lol. I need to clean the screen on the outlet where it vents outside. That's it. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user

mike0000

Equipment
Kubota L3901, RTV900
Sep 15, 2021
Southern Indiana
Helped my daughter move into a house this weekend, it’s furnished with a dryer. We pulled the lint screen, unbelievably clogged up, I don’t believe the previous renters ever cleaned it. I cleaned the hose and exterior vent, now I wish I had opened the dryer to do a inside cleaning.

Mike

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Lint Eater kits are awesome! I've had one for about 15 years and I clean my vent annually.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Helped my daughter move into a house this weekend, it’s furnished with a dryer. We pulled the lint screen, unbelievably clogged up, I don’t believe the previous renters ever cleaned it. I cleaned the hose and exterior vent, now I wish I had opened the dryer to do a inside cleaning.

Mike
Hope she saw you clean it so she knows how and why it's important.

Reactions: 3 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
We had a problem with the gas dryer making a scraping sound, so since we have an extended service contract on the machine, we called for service. The first person to come diagnosed it as bad rollers, and ordered the rollers. Another person came to install them, and it still was making noise, so he ordered a new motor. The next fellow came to install the motor and said that the rollers were not oiled, so he oiled the rollers, but the noise never went away, so he ordered a new drum. The next guy comes to install the drum, and it still made noise, but now it wasn't even drying light loads in more than an hour. The next person to come to work on it, blames the corrugated expandable tubing that carries the drier air to the outside. I call a friend that does sheet metal work, and he installs a 4" smooth metal pipe from the bottom of the floor in the cellar where the steel tube comes out of the drier, but even that didn't help. The next call is to the service company, and they said that the drier is no good and that they will need to order a replacement. One day while outside I see a piece of plastic sticking out of the vent, so I pull it out. It was the plastic bag that the motor came packaged in. Guess that the repair man that installed the new motor just stuffed it into the tube knowing that the drier would be replaced, and that would end the problems. Once I pulled out the plastic, the drier worked like new, but the rubbing sound has never gone away. I call and told them to cancel the replacement. I probably should still keep it under the extended warranty since the next time it acts up, they will just replace it for free. The problem is that the new units most likely are not as well built as this one is. I did save the old parts should I ever need them in the future.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Hope she saw you clean it so she knows how and why it's important.
Honestly, neither of us thought about it. I don’t ever recall our parents doing it either. Possible my dad do it but that was only if it broke and needed repair. On the plus side, the next load dried in one cycle, not the two she had been doing.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
I have a relative who has an appliance store. He's told me of times someone will call to order a clothes dryer and wants the old one removed and the only thing causing it to not dry was a plugged vent pipe. When he points out the problem they insist on the new unit!!

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
We had a problem with the gas dryer making a scraping sound, so since we have an extended service contract on the machine, we called for service. The first person to come diagnosed it as bad rollers, and ordered the rollers. Another person came to install them, and it still was making noise, so he ordered a new motor. The next fellow came to install the motor and said that the rollers were not oiled, so he oiled the rollers, but the noise never went away, so he ordered a new drum. The next guy comes to install the drum, and it still made noise, but now it wasn't even drying light loads in more than an hour. The next person to come to work on it, blames the corrugated expandable tubing that carries the drier air to the outside. I call a friend that does sheet metal work, and he installs a 4" smooth metal pipe from the bottom of the floor in the cellar where the steel tube comes out of the drier, but even that didn't help. The next call is to the service company, and they said that the drier is no good and that they will need to order a replacement. One day while outside I see a piece of plastic sticking out of the vent, so I pull it out. It was the plastic bag that the motor came packaged in. Guess that the repair man that installed the new motor just stuffed it into the tube knowing that the drier would be replaced, and that would end the problems. Once I pulled out the plastic, the drier worked like new, but the rubbing sound has never gone away. I call and told them to cancel the replacement. I probably should still keep it under the extended warranty since the next time it acts up, they will just replace it for free. The problem is that the new units most likely are not as well built as this one is. I did save the old parts should I ever need them in the future.
Well, now you have the baddest assest dryer around!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
saw the remains of a century plus house once, asked what happened, fire inspector said 'dryer lint in the corrugated piping'.......
since then, ALL of my dryer installs have used rigid,smooth steel ducting. Dryer goes on outside wall, 2 elbows, length of straight pipe. EASY to inspect and clean out.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Mag vent and drill driven lint brush added to Amazon shopping list.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Presently no dier issues. The wife is now using a clothesline instead of the dryer. If it rains, the laundry gets rinsed a second time, sometimes even more than 3 or 4 times if she isn't home to take it in.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Renters don't do filters or anything else. Last renter had a completely plugged lint screen which caused the plastic paddles in the dryer to melt. The dehumidifier filter was completely plugged and it ran continuously. The screen in the dishwasher bottom was a disgusting swamp. In fact all five major appliances were totaled and were kicked to the curb, I will never rent it again.

Reactions: 1 users

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
The wife said the dryer was taking double the time to dry a load. It’s at least 10 yrs old, electric and never cleaned. I pulled it apart and the lint was at least 3” deep across everything and the lint on top of the heating element was charred pretty deep. We were probably a few loads away from a dryer fire. The vent from the lint trap was about 75% blocked. Not sure why I never cleaned it in the past, but it will be on my annual task list. I spent about an hour getting the lint out and disassembled what I could to get it clean. Past the squirrel fan it was pretty clean surprisingly. I ordered a flexible brush with attachable segments to get it out to 40’ and I will clean the horizontal run that goes out of the house once the storms subside. If you haven’t cleaned your dryer, pop that bottom panel and take a look.

Great to share. I have a home maintenance list that I keep up with (sends me reminders on phone)...and that is one I vacuum the external side of the dryer vent every month. I take off the inside hose every 6 months and vacuum it out.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Renters don't do filters or anything else. Last renter had a completely plugged lint screen which caused the plastic paddles in the dryer to melt. The dehumidifier filter was completely plugged and it ran continuously. The screen in the dishwasher bottom was a disgusting swamp. In fact all five major appliances were totaled and were kicked to the curb, I will never rent it again.
You can't put all renters in the same mold. People rent for various reasons and some are the type who you enjoy and appreciate as neighbors, don't put those folks in the same category as the ones you describe.

We've had residential and commercial tenants. Those in commercial properties always took excellent care of everything. They wanted the property to be inviting to their customers, and if anything needed attention from my responsibility they let me know it it got taken care of quickly.

Early in the rental business I learned how some folks act as you describe. It didn't take too long to leave all appliances (with the exception of the range) for the tenant to provide. If they didn't have the funds for washer and dryer they could take clothes to the laundry mat, wash dishes by hand, no garbage disposal, all plumbing problems caused by tenant were their responsibly to repair.

With a good background check, job status, references who were not family members and a detailed application it was pretty easy to sort the ones that would cause too much grief. I always told each tenant before I handed them a key, three things I expect: pay the rent on time, keep the place clean, don't lie to me! If they looked away and couldn't have eye contact I didn't want them!

It's a business. Treat it like one!

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
You can't put all renters in the same mold. People rent for various reasons and some are the type who you enjoy and appreciate as neighbors, don't put those folks in the same category as the ones you describe.

We've had residential and commercial tenants. Those in commercial properties always took excellent care of everything. They wanted the property to be inviting to their customers, and if anything needed attention from my responsibility they let me know it it got taken care of quickly.

Early in the rental business I learned how some folks act as you describe. It didn't take too long to leave all appliances (with the exception of the range) for the tenant to provide. If they didn't have the funds for washer and dryer they could take clothes to the laundry mat, wash dishes by hand, no garbage disposal, all plumbing problems caused by tenant were their responsibly to repair.

With a good background check, job status, references who were not family members and a detailed application it was pretty easy to sort the ones that would cause too much grief. I always told each tenant before I handed them a key, three things I expect: pay the rent on time, keep the place clean, don't lie to me! If they looked away and couldn't have eye contact I didn't want them!

It's a business. Treat it like one!
My first tenant was an LPN with a young daughter terrible credit and struggling. She stayed a few years and left the place in perfect condition. I had various types till the last one, a 58 year old RN with a young granddaughter, good references, high income but nothing short of a POS. No need to preach to me, there is no way of knowing what is going to happen and I am done with people, they can sleep under a bridge for all I care. Yes, I had applications and a strong lease which are totally useless when dealing with professional slobs.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
No offense meant. I only repeat, there are good renters. In fact I know a member of this forum who currently is renting and I'd be glad to have him and his wife in one of my properties!!