Dry Chemical Fire Extinguishers

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Hopefully every OTT member has a dry chemical fire extinguisher aboard each tractor.

Ideally, that extinguisher should be a 5lb. model (if readily stowable), and should have a metal valve head, and trigger handle.
Cheap, big box store, plastic valve heads/handles may break when you really need them!

Each year, wherever you have mounted dry chemical extinguishers, you should invert them and tap them firmly a few times (I use an 18" hunk of 2x4 on edge) to break up the powder that has settled over time. Then hang them up properly, and hope that you never need them.
It is a very good idea to do this twice each year,....... if you can remember.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
I dont even wear a haymet when I ride my scooters and you want to mount a fire extinguisher on my toy tractor?

I suppose you want me to actually attach my trailer safety chains to my truck while I'm at it?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
And buy ABC rated, otherwise the one fire you have will be the one your extinguisher isn't rated for.
Murphy's Law.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Another technique I have used on a VW engine fire:
Came across a bug just starting to burn, and the owner was struggling with his extinguisher, which would not work. It had gone flat, no pressure.
I told him to hold the body, I grabbed the head, and unscrewed it.
Then I poured/sprinkled the powder on the fire, putting it out.
Sometimes you have to improvise.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Another technique I have used on a VW engine fire:
Came across a bug just starting to burn, and the owner was struggling with his extinguisher, which would not work. It had gone flat, no pressure.
I told him to hold the body, I grabbed the head, and unscrewed it.
Then I poured/sprinkled the powder on the fire, putting it out.
Sometimes you have to improvise.
If the owner had been paying attention to the condition of the extinguisher he likely would have seen the pressure gauge at zero.
Does he also never check the oil level in his car?

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Fire extinguisher has save my butt more then once. Twice on the old gehl skid steer(same machine both times) and once when the boss caught the
New Holland skid steer on fire while Bush hogging with it. (It didn't make it but it gave him time to get out unharmed) and with this reminder I'll have to come up with a spot to put one on the B. Thanks for the reminder.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
If you got good insurance, no need for a fire extinguisher.
I wholeheartedly disagree!
The only way tp know if you have "good insurance" or not, is after you have a claim!

Reactions: 1 users

notaz3

Mar 16, 2021
ID
I use Element E50 fire extinguishers, no need to worry about powder caking up.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
This has been discussed at some car show meetings, and unless something has changed, it isn't UL approve. Personally, I prefer a Halon fire extinguisher. I cut off the oxygen to the fire and will smother it.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I wholeheartedly disagree!
The only way tp know if you have "good insurance" or not, is after you have a claim!
KTAC is pretty good insurance from the testimonials that I have read on this and other forums. If they cover operator stupidity then surely they will cover loss from a fire.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
KTAC is pretty good insurance from the testimonials that I have read on this and other forums. If they cover operator stupidity then surely they will cover loss from a fire.
Not everyone here on OTT has a new Kubota tractor, or only a Kubota tractor, thus many are not elligible for KTAC

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
This has been discussed at some car show meetings, and unless something has changed, it isn't UL approve. Personally, I prefer a Halon fire extinguisher. I cut off the oxygen to the fire and will smother it.
Halon is excellent.......and VERY expensive compared to dry chemical.
Not many folks will pay the price for halon!

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I'm not sure its a fair comparison but I remember an incident years ago when running autocross with my Saab Sonnet. One guy was running a TVR Vixen when it caught fire on the course. He jumped out and tripped on the ground while an official ran over, opened the hood and dumped dry chemical into the bay, including his dual Webers, for what was just a smoldering wire fire. The owner nearly had a stroke.

Since then I try to stay away from dry chemical extinguishers.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I'm not sure its a fair comparison but I remember an incident years ago when running autocross with my Saab Sonnet. One guy was running a TVR Vixen when it caught fire on the course. He jumped out and tripped on the ground while an official ran over, opened the hood and dumped dry chemical into the bay, including his dual Webers, for what was just a smoldering wire fire. The owner nearly had a stroke.

Since then I try to stay away from dry chemical extinguishers.
Halon was the right extinguisher for that specific fire.
Dry chemical was not!
That said: Dry chemical is the most cost effective fire suppressant,..... except for water.
Water is not effective on fuel fires!

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
Extinguishers are always a good plan. Take an old one and practice with it to see how they work. Flammable liquids can be spread with an extinguisher to make the fire larger. Also bear in mind one thing that we talked about on the fire department. Fire departments respond to car fires with muptiple units. WHY? Because people forget to sayk that the car is still in the garage. Tractor could be in the shed or attached garage. Then you test the value of your insurance policies. Have fun with that. Personally I have put out several fires that have lead to real disaster. Such as a loader tractor with bales of straw sitting next to a 500 gallon gas barrel and a 500 gallon diesel barrel which was 2 feet from a 40 x 90 machine shed. Put gas in in the dark and spilled on the hood. Turned the key and an ignition spark ignited the gas. Put the fire out and continued to bed the cattle in the shed. Dad traded that 550 Oliver off with the blackened hood sometime later on a Gehl skid loader.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
I started a thread asking about the element E50. I bought 2 of them and will end up buying 2 more. I keep one on the boat along side the regular extinguisher that came with it. The powder canister types don't last very long on a boat and become useless quickly. The bouncing around compressed the powder.
I also keep one in the mancave along side 2 of the regular extinguishers. Both are several year old. I'm not going to throw them away, but I don't trust that they'll work very well since several years out of date.
The main reason I like the element is that they never go bad, no expiration date. Some say they aren't as effective, but in a real world situation, one that works will always outperform one that is out of date and doesn't work.
Secondary reasons are that they are very small and have a 50 second action duration while the bottle types only activate for a few seconds.
Insurance is great and all, but I'd rather make a claim on my tractor catching fire and me having put it out vs having to make a claim on the mancave and all it's contents.
Just my 2 cents.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
If the owner had been paying attention to the condition of the extinguisher he likely would have seen the pressure gauge at zero.
Does he also never check the oil level in his car?
People tend to forget fire extinguishers completely, even when they need them.

I was driving up I-17, climbing out of Black Canyon City, and came across an old hippy type driving an old VW bus. He had just pulled over because smoke was pouring out of the engine bay. He was running around trying to put the fire out by throwing handfuls of dirt on it.
I grabbed my extinguisher and put it out. Turns out it was just a grease/oil/dirty engine fire, and hadn't hurt it at all, in fact it started right up.
He was beside himself with gratitude, as everything he owned was in that bus.
He insisted there must be something he could do to repay me for saving his bus, so I told him "maybe kick in a few bucks so I can get my extinguisher recharged."
He got a funny look on his face and walked away back to his bus.
I figured I offended him somehow, and turned to leave.
He rummaged around in the bus, and returned, giving me a new-in-the-box fire extinguisher that he'd had all along, but he just forgot it in the moment of crisis.
He thanked me again, kissed my wife's hand, and he was off.
:ROFLMAO:

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Regardless of which type of extinguisher you have, add some electrical tape with a pull tab on the nozzle.
IMG_1378~0.JPG

I found my nozzle clogged with a Dirt Dauber nest.