Driving tractor long distance

Oldmansbike

Equipment
BX2370
May 26, 2016
Wever,Iowa
I drove my BX 2370 today about 8 miles to my sons house. He had a small deck he bought on our trailer and needed the tractor to help unload it and set it in place. My question is is that hard on the tractor driving it that far? It took me an hour to get to his house.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I road a tractor 12 miles sometimes to bale hay. Ag tires on asphalt wears them about as fast as possible, so take gravel if possible.

BravoXray

Equipment
BX-25D, Ford 9N, Bobcat 825. Too many implements to list
Feb 6, 2014
Lake Winola,PA.
Other than the tires, no. I've driven tractors home from where I bought them, it's easy work for them, other than being tough on the rubber.

Jerry

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I bought my 1952 cockshutt 40 about thirty miles from home. Dirty fuel tank and weak 6 volt battery.
Every few miles had to drain bowl and blow dirt back into carb. Was a long ride, but the big gear was about 25 mph.
Cleaned tank and carb and 8 years later still running great.

Most tractors will run wide open all day long working in a field

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Only hazard is forgetting to take it out of 4 wd and driving that far on pavement. Neighbor did that and ruined front end.

08quadram

Equipment
bx2350d; Taylor Way 48" tiller; Farm King 50" snow blower
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
Drove my bx2350 5 miles each way to till a garden. Felt kinda small next to a big 4wd. Case IH i passed reloading sprayer tank. I think i gave them a chuckle.

Mike

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Driving on the road make sure your lights work and are on. Also check your insurance, homeowners insurance often does not cover your tractor when off your property.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
You ran a BX 16 miles round trip on a HIGHWAY :eek: Are you freekin nutz????
The way people drive today,, around here anyway ,,, I'm half afraid to get my truck out on the road for fear some joker in a tri axel is going to run me over going from drill site to drill site. You got a set my friend, made of solid brass, solid brass I tell you. And no you didn't hurt nutting just tire wear

Humblebub

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX 2370 with MMW, FEL and snow blower
Around here, and I live on an island that is agriculture based, you live on the edge on the roads. It is getting worse. I don't know if it is me or changing driving habits but I am seriously considering selling my bikes as I have had three near death experiences this summer.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I hear ya, you have to watch out for your self and every other clown out there. Of course these bloody cell phones,, ok I'm wont go there, cause it my sphincter tightens up just thinking about things that happened because of cell phones

Oldmansbike

Equipment
BX2370
May 26, 2016
Wever,Iowa
It was all county roads so not a whole lot of traffic and I did remember to take it out of 4x4. I didn't drive it back home we loaded it on the trailer and brought it back.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
When I was in college, a hog confinement operation used to move tractors with honey wagons between farms that were ~120 miles apart. Took all day.

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
I've got turfs on my BX, so not as worried about the tires. But I have noticed that extended running in high range at close to full throttle heats up my HST more than anything else I do. I do have some steep (though short ~ hundred yards or so) hills that certainly up the demands, and I'm now slowing while going up. Then engine doesn't seem to care, but the HST whines significantly worse, and I've measured as high as 213F on the pump output using a handheld infrared thermometer.

I'm curious--anyone figured out the MPG on the BXs? (I've got the smallest--1870--so presumably the best mileage.)

botaskinner

Equipment
B2320HST, Land Pride 48" BB, LA304 Loader, TSC Middle buster, Piranha Tooth Bar
Jul 7, 2016
watsonville, ca
Wow
Now I don't feel so bad driving the 1/2 mile to refuel at the corner store!:D

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
what was said, not a problem. I always stay as far right as I can. I also make sure my lights are all on and hazards on. I only go about 2 miles to the local fuel station. make absolute sure you are not in 4wd. I have R4s they don't seem to do too bad with asphalt. it takes me about 6 minutes each way in high high of the hst ramped out. it doesn't mind it really. it will heat up your fluid a bit, but not outside of a working range.

botaskinner

Equipment
B2320HST, Land Pride 48" BB, LA304 Loader, TSC Middle buster, Piranha Tooth Bar
Jul 7, 2016
watsonville, ca
--And it sure beats using those leaky nanny-cans that dribble fuel down your arm! :D

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
I was sitting at a traffic light today. The lady in front of me was waveing her hands and talking on a cell phone, the lady behind me, the same thing. The young guy to my left was texting, the lady next to him was waveing her arms and talking on a cell phone. HANG UP THE PHONE AND DRIVE!!!!!!

MaleHoe

Equipment
Kubota B2620 TLB, JD X495
Jun 23, 2016
Latrobe PA
I drove my BX 2370 today about 8 miles to my sons house. He had a small deck he bought on our trailer and needed the tractor to help unload it and set it in place. My question is is that hard on the tractor driving it that far? It took me an hour to get to his house.
I have 4 acres that I mow every week. A few months ago after many years of guessing how many miles I drive mowing I placed a GPS on the tractor.

8 miles is how many miles I travel each week with a lot of stops and turns and backing up too.

I doubt driving 8 miles down a road would damage anything. And if it does we all bought the wrong tractor.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
You ran a BX 16 miles round trip on a HIGHWAY :eek: Are you freekin nutz????
The way people drive today,, around here anyway ,,, I'm half afraid to get my truck out on the road for fear some joker in a tri axel is going to run me over going from drill site to drill site. You got a set my friend, made of solid brass, solid brass I tell you. And no you didn't hurt nutting just tire wear
I guess I'd fall under the "freekin nutz" category as my helpers & I have driven my 3 tractors 1000's of miles on county roads & state highways in my custom baling & farming operation since I started custom baling in '87. I agree asphalt increases tire wear except for one tire brand that I have on my JD 4255. Rear tires on the 4255 are Continental radials that have unknown road miles on them but they've been on tractor for over 15 yrs and still exhibit no noticeable road wear. I now limit my customer travel radius to a 5 miles. I've had one tractor hit by automobile and it broke rear wheel off tractor but that's the only road accident for me.

I agree driving on public roads with today's "Nascar wanna be-speed on brother cause hell ain't 1/2 full yet" drivers is DANGEROUS. I've seriously thought about putting a sign on the rear of my rd hay baler that states "contrary to what most people think food originates from farmers such as I not in a grocery store"

Last edited: