Drill bit faux pas

Central Joe

Equipment
B7100 Grading Blade Disc Roto Tiller Scarifer Rake 48" Finish Mower
Mar 26, 2015
South Carolina
You can "weld" up the hole with an small electric soldering iron and a comparable piece of scrap plastic. Just melt the two together like a torch weld. joe

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
NAPA Auto Parts has a fuel tank repair kit for plastic and steel fuel tanks. The part number is 7651546 in the Balkamp line. Will not work on aluminum tanks. As far as 'welding' it with heat, it depends on if the material is cross-link or linear. One can be welded and other cannot. It will look fine until it is stressed, then it cracks.

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
Had to got to a 3/8 screw with a neoprene gasket. works fine so far and looks factory. Thanks guys. I'm surprise I didn't catch any crap for something this stupid. Y'all must be off of your game.

Mike

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I think just about everyone has done something similar at one time or another.;)

When we were all building lifted golf carts, one of the group decided his would look cool with a 2" wide strip of polished aluminum diamond plate wrapped around the body where it meets the floorboard, basically at the "heel kick" when seated. After drilling 4 holes to mount it with sheetmetal screws, he started smelling gasoline. Yup, he drilled 4 holes into the gas tank. After a major gasoline clean up, he had to drain & pull the tank, dry & clean it, epoxy the holes, & reinstall it. He filled the tank, test drove the cart, then proceeded to finish the trim strip installation, during which he drilled 3 more holes in the tank. He's been trying to live that little incident down for about 17 years.:D

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Do it once, and it's a pass. ;) twice, and you'll get some grief :p:p multiple times as Lil Foot posted, and it's open season for life :D:D

Working for a fence company, my helper did the inch trick when we were building some panels at the shop. Course, I had to send him for the board stretcher :p:p Thought it was the end of it after about 20 minutes of us laughing, while he was looking. Took a week, before he quit looking for it. Even after multiple explanations that it isn't practical :rolleyes:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
A guy drilled a hole into the ecm in his new K-Car back in the 80's. Wanted to put in a car warmer for them cold winter mornings.

Another plug for fuel tank is, a piece of fuel line that just fits in, then thread a screw into fuel line. Key is finding the right size bits. Clear gas line works best.

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
Tooljunkie, that's what I'll do if this fails. I like the inner pressure. It sounds more permanent. My father in law decided to install some cabinets in his camper with screws. When he finished a really nice looking job, he walked around to the back of the camper. There were 20 screws sticking through the skin of the trailer. Remembering that, I don't feel as bad.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
My father in law decided to install some cabinets in his camper with screws. When he finished a really nice looking job, he walked around to the back of the camper. There were 20 screws sticking through the skin of the trailer.
He must be related to a guy in our duning group. This guy is always trying to keep up with & surpass the everyone in the group, so when somebody bought a big TV for his RV, he had to buy an even bigger one. The TV shelf in his rig wasn't quite deep enough, so he got out the sawzall and cut the back wall out for clearance. The TV fit fine, but the 14" x 17" x 2" back of the tv was now sticking through into the bathroom. After much ribbing, he hung a towel rack over it, and as long as no one uses the towels, it's not too obvious.