Draining water separator

e21pilot

Equipment
KX121-3
Oct 24, 2011
Burnaby, BC
My Kubota mini-excavator has a water separator on it and I wonder if all it needs for servicing is closing the petcock, removing the cup, pouring any water out, putting it back, and opening the petcock again. Any elements or O-rings to replace?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Looking at prints, it only shows a filter housing, not a separate water separator, so I would say pull it apart and change the filter. ;)

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
You only have to replace damaged part. Turn off the fuel, clean and replace the screen and The inside of the separator. I use carb/choke spray. If you turn the fuel switch back on while holding the plastic cup under the flow, that's an easy way to refill the cup. Screw it back together and you are done. One thing to remember is the sooner or later, you will likely have to replace that separator. The ones they send from the factory have a way of vibrating the pressed in fitting loose and the only permanent fixe is a replacement. I have had to replace 6 so far. If your machine starts to run erratically as though it's sucking air, check where the fittings for the fuel lines go into the body of the separator. If you can move them by hand, it's bad. JB Weld will seal it for a while.