Dog earned her keep

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
We have a Great Dane. She is the princess, just ask her. She sleeps on the sofa, has a bed in every room, and she is sure we all live to serve her.

This morning, getting ready for work like a normal day, one of the first things we do is let the dog out. She came back in and about 5 minutes being in the house, we hear this low growl which then turns into a bark. Startled the wife and I. Being the intelligent adults we are, of course we stood there and asked the dog what was wrong.

The dog looked at us like we were stupid, didn't we know she was a dog and couldn't talk? Anyway, she continue with the low growl while looking at the back door. So, opened the back door and she ran to the edge of the deck and stood there and growled. She kept looking back with a look like aren't you getting your butt out here?

I was dressed for work, so I grabbed the flashlight and walked out there and she took off around the corner of the house and started barking like crazy. If you have ever heard a Great Dane bark every dog in a five mile radius (ok exaggerating a little) started barking. As I came around the corner, I seen the two guys that she had just scared to the other side of the road. They were quickly moving away.

Moments later a police car pulled up and rolled down his window and asked had I seen two guys in the area. I pointed him in the direction that they had headed. Squad car rounded the corner and seen the lights come on the squad car.

Took the princess back inside and she got a big old bone for a job well done. I have no idea what the two men were up to and I think that they may of been looking for a quick place to hide from the police and the princess foiled that idea when they looked at using our yard.

Every time I just about get to a point of convincing myself I will never have another dog, something happens to prove the value of the dog.

• Love
Reactions: 24 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
20210130_112729.jpg

Here is all 135lbs of her guarding her sofa

Reactions: 1 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I'm still laughing from that line....

My wife has several cats - and loves them and cusses them in the same breath...... and talks to them too, and then expects them to answer!!!!!!!!

I would love to get a little recorder and hide and have the ability to hit a button and have a cat like voice say something back!!!! That would be priceless!

Equipment
B2601 TLB
Feb 22, 2021
Deerfield, NJ
Got two dogs I take with me to work every day. We all work, together, every day. Amazing what they can do.

But the dog that got to be home every day, Zoe the Great Dane, who layed on the couch and in front of the warm fireplace, ended up doing just as much.

Surveillance video showed her scaring off an attempted intruder. Video linked him to several other burglaries.

Every Dane I've had, They are truly a protector of their domain, be it a house, their home, or their people.

Reactions: 1 user

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yes Sir you have to love big hounds. Mom had a Belgaum Shepard, that went every bit of 90 pounds +. And one deer season we were up the camp and Smokey went a bit tilt. So Mom, ever being the brave soul she was when she has a mouth full of teeth as back up. Went out on the back porch and there were 2 guys trying to steal Dads canoe. She told them to get the (**&%*(*^&( out of the yard,, and one said something that Smokey didnt like. He came home about an hour later, with some guys pants in his mouth. No one bothered Dads canoe after that, in fact no one bothered anything around the house after that. He was a good dog

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Pity you can't just turn the Dane loose on some free feed. Kinda stupid that apprehending would-be burglars/robbers with a dog that can eat them is illegal. Completely stupid that if your dog bites an intruder, you're liable and may lose the animal. SMH!!!! Criminals have more rights than law abiding citizens.

SAR Tracker

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, FEL, LX2963 Snowblower, BH77 Backhoe, forks
Nov 17, 2020
Central Oregon
I always love the news stories that end with "and the suspect was transported to the hospital for treatment of numerous K-9 bites." Good dog!

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I was walking Oreo yesterday evening and one of our officers pulled up. I asked him if he knew what was going on the other morning. The two men had been involved in a domestic/home invasion (ex-boyfriend was trying to get into girlfriend's house) and fled the scene before the they (police) could get there. Yet, they did catch them right around the corner where Oreo had sent them scrambling to. The ex-boyfriend got a free ride in the police car to the city jail and the other gentleman got a free ride in the deputy's car to the county jail for an outstanding warrant.

So it is nice to have a happy ending to the story.

Reactions: 2 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I was walking Oreo yesterday evening and one of our officers pulled up. I asked him if he knew what was going on the other morning. The two men had been involved in a domestic/home invasion (ex-boyfriend was trying to get into girlfriend's house) and fled the scene before the they (police) could get there. Yet, they did catch them right around the corner where Oreo had sent them scrambling to. The ex-boyfriend got a free ride in the police car to the city jail and the other gentleman got a free ride in the deputy's car to the county jail for an outstanding warrant.

So it is nice to have a happy ending to the story.
I know the intent of the thought, but a few did not have a happy ending!! ;)

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
I'm still laughing from that line....

sure am glad i am not the only one who talks to their dog. pretty sure i spend more time talking to my pup than i do my teenager most days lol.

pretty smart dog coming in to get you for backup!!