Does how you speak tell where you're from...

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Pretty cool little quiz there. It has me in Springfield MO, Louisville KY and Lexington KY. Close I guess sense I've live in Southern Illinois my entire life. If I go to the eastern side of KY I can really tell a difference in the way I talk compared to them, probably closer to Springfield MO than the other two.

I feel as though I have a pretty neutral dialect and I have a couple funny stories about this. When I first started where I work now I serviced Metropolis Il, Paducah Ky is right across the Ohio. Being the new guy in the area, I was accused of being some kinda yankee numerous times. At the time I took offense to this, I would have to explain that I grew up in a little town only an hour north still in SI, not Chicago. Chicago is not very well liked in the southern part of the state.

Had a brother in law that lived in Milwaukee and we used to visit a few times a year. One night after a "few" beers around the campfire. Not sure about anyone else but my neutral dialect goes away after a "few" beers and most sentences are just a run on word with all those old bad habits that I grew up with coming right out. My mother is always proud when this happens, she did here best to keep me from sounding like a "hick". Anyway, one of the guys at the party is kinda making fun of me because as he says he can't understand a word I'm saying. I laughed, told them the same story I told above. Then told him I couldn't understand him either. He had lived in downtown Chicago, so ha had a Chicago/Milwaukee dialect that got worse as the night went on too.

All that said, sometimes in this area I've heard people talking and I think what language is that?? then again I could understand every word of it. lol

John Mc

Equipment
B2150, FEL, MMM, Scrape blade
Aug 4, 2015
Frog Pond, NC USA
Born a looooong time ago under a flag with 48 stars in the Sandhills of NC right on the SC line, and my wife is an Air Force brat with a mixed accent. Regional accents began to go away or be muted after the advent of nationwide television broadcasts.

About 40 years ago, my new bride and I were driving from Charlotte to Charleston, SC in a car with only an AM radio on Sunday morning. Around Orangeburg, the only thing I could find was a highly excited African-American preacher with a Gullah dialect. I listened for about 5 minutes, enjoying hearing his lowcountry accent, when my wife says "What language is that?" English, I say. "Oh no it's not! I haven't understood a word he said!" So I kept up a running translation until we got out of range.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
YOU damn yankeee!!!!!:D:)

It nailed me 'ight on down!

Southern .....and mighty proud of it!
[/IMG]
It was way off base for me. Never been to new Jersey. Gotten gas once or twice in viginia. Same with North Carolina. 20 years in vermont, 12 in florida, and the rest here in arkansas :p

So I guess that makes me a yankee hillbilly redneck :p:p

Last edited: