Does anyone have first hand knowledge of Hipcamp?

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I am very seriously considering hosting a camp site thru the website Hipcamp.
I am wondering if anyone has first hand experience, either hosting a campsite on your land, or booking and staying at a campsite that was booked thru them.

My oak savanna/prairie restoration is far enough along now and I have a beautiful campsite, with 12 x 12 canvas outfitters tent and thought this maybe a good way to expose like minded folks to the work I have done and enjoy a night or two camping. The extra pocket change the booking would generate wont hurt either in this economy! :)

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I am wondering if anyone has first hand experience, either hosting a campsite on your land, or booking and staying at a campsite that was booked thru them.

My oak savanna/prairie restoration is far enough along now and I have a beautiful campsite, with 12 x 12 canvas outfitters tent and thought this maybe a good way to expose like minded folks to the work I have done and enjoy a night or two camping. The extra pocket change the booking would generate wont hurt either in this economy! :)
Very interesting idea!
No Winter Wisconsin camping for me though!

Reactions: 1 user

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO

We live next to USFS campground up here (its 1/2 a mile away separated by other private owners). We know some private owners that border it. We also hike around it all the time and see the mess. Both dispersed and powered sites. People leave trash to clean up all the time. They mistreat the land. Owners have seen human feces at the dispersed sites even though there is an outhouse at the site about 100 yards away.

I would not let any city dweller on my land for any reason...they have no respect. Good luck hope you have a better experience.

Reactions: 2 users

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
We live next to USFS campground up here (its 1/2 a mile away separated by other private owners). We know some private owners that border it. We also hike around it all the time and see the mess. Both dispersed and powered sites. People leave trash to clean up all the time. They mistreat the land. Owners have seen human feces at the dispersed sites even though there is an outhouse at the site about 100 yards away.

I would not let any city dweller on my land for any reason...they have no respect. Good luck hope you have a better experience.
I hear what you're saying for sure! I have delved into how the host is vetted thru this website (quite extensively) but not sure how the campers are vetted. Of course the best vetting in the world is no assurance for the future.

For anyone that is a host or camper of Hipcamp please share your experience! :)

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I guy I know who owns a farm and had several yurts erected. He was providing fancy dinners along with the experience for $600 per night per couple during the summer. All sold out. These were city folk who behaved themselves from what I understand. I believe covid put an end to it. For that kind of money they could shit in my field if they wanted.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
He was providing fancy dinners along with the experience for $600 per night per couple during the summer. All sold out. These were city folk who behaved themselves from what I understand. I believe covid put an end to it. For that kind of money they could shit in my field if they wanted.
I was skeptical of Ken’s idea when I first saw it, but now ya got me thinking…I wonder what I could get for a spot like that with the added bonus of a selfie op with a gator/bear/hog/yote/copperhead/rattlesnake/
Rougaru 🤷‍♂️. Unlike Yellowstone our wildlife is cool and you can pet em 😁

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I was skeptical of Ken’s idea when I first saw it, but now ya got me thinking…I wonder what I could get for a spot like that with the added bonus of a selfie op with a gator/bear/hog/yote/copperhead/rattlesnake/
Rougaru 🤷‍♂️. Unlike Yellowstone our wildlife is cool and you can pet em 😁
First one of these I caught on trail cam after buying my land is in the exact spot that my 12 x 12 outfitters tent is pitched, not sure if that would be a draw for potential campers or not! LOL :ROFLMAO:

IMG_8699.JPG

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
First one of these I caught on trail cam after buying my land is in the exact spot that my 12 x 12 outfitters tent is pitched, not sure if that would be a draw for potential campers or not! LOL :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 122081
AWWW that's such a cute cuddly bear!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I know a lot of former Boy Scout types that are “city dwellers” and know how to care for a campsite.

I believe you’ll have better success with city dwellers than “country boys” because the country-boys don’t need to get ”out in the country”…. it’s the city-dwellers who crave the experience.

When you have them RSVP the campsite… the ”Request-Form” you have them fill out … should have the instructions/Restrictions plainly posted… so they’ll know what to expect… IF they want their DEPOSIT returned!

My wife and I “boondock” on BLM land when we travel in our Airstream. “Boondocking” is the term commonly used among experienced travel-trailer folk… for when camping in isolated land which has no ”facilities” whatsoever. If you are planning a travel-trailer campsite…they should know to ”pack out” what they “bring in”…all trash, … campfires in designated area (fire-ring) only, … etc etc.

You should provide information on the RSVP-form as to what facilities you will provide… a porta-potty..? .(.or do they need to have their own folding toilet if tenting… or do you provide a “sewer/septic dump-facility..?”) Human waste disposal..?? or do you allow a trench-latrin….and if that is in a designatred area or not…? A prepared tent-site..? Water..? Etc.

If YOU are specific and if you charge a deposit to cover ill-behavior… if you ”interview” via phone, in-person, or online…. You will be able to determine and “cull” the misfits from the good campers.

My wife and I are hosting a large camp-out for the upcoming Solar Eclipse in which only Members of our airplane/flying club and Members-guests are invited/allowed. Our invitation requires RSVP and lays out the policy on these issues, and I imagine many of them are “city dwellers“… but I also know that most of them will have in the past attended other fly-in/camp-out events elsewhere…. so

Hope that helps.

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
GeoHorn,
Thank you for your suggestions and response!

I did create a listing , but have dates blocked until I decide if I am going to try this out.

Hipcamp.com claims they have "millions" of acres of campsites listed on their platform.
Becoming a host is "free" until you book a stay, then they take 10% of the booking fee. For this I get the exposure and a liability insurance policy, with some exclusions of course.

Geo, the information you suggested I provide on the rsvp form is covered pretty much as you describe on the listing. I think Hipcamp did a good job making sure things like site amenities , cancelation policies, parking, number of guests etc are covered. Most of the items let me tweak to suit myself.

In case anyone is wondering why I am considering this here goes.

I have , along with help from USFW , Partners for Wildlife , reintroduced a native habitat to a piece of property that 6 years ago was a waste land of over grown non-native invasive species. This project , imho, deserves to be shared. My goal would be that it might inspire others to consider getting involved either on their own property, small or large, volunteer, introduce their youngsters to the outside natural world and just make a better world for everyone. I am astounded at the increase and diversity of wildlife that now call my project "home".

Perhaps I AM seeing the world thru rose colored glasses. I have not however, been one to live my life risk free.

If anyone is interested I can post a link to my listing here. Believe me, I am not shilling for Hipcamp or myself.

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
ONe more thing I’ll mention, and that is your fire-wood policy. Many parks and campgrounds prohibit the use of firewood brought-in from outside the campground.

At first, this policy seems onerous…just so they can “sell” you some firewood. But in-fact, it can be for very good reasons. Wood brought in from unknown areas can import disease and pests such as wood-borers and oak-wilt…which can then Devastate your property.

You might wish to consider this when you allow campfires.

You might also wish to visit with your insurance agent with regard to homeowners and umbrella policies when you allow paying customers to use your property.

Reactions: 4 users

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
ONe more thing I’ll mention, and that is your fire-wood policy. Many parks and campgrounds prohibit the use of firewood brought-in from outside the campground.

At first, this policy seems onerous…just so they can “sell” you some firewood. But in-fact, it can be for very good reasons. Wood brought in from unknown areas can import disease and pests such as wood-borers and oak-wilt…which can then Devastate your property.

You might wish to consider this when you allow campfires.

You might also wish to visit with your insurance agent with regard to homeowners and umbrella policies when you allow paying customers to use your property.
Yes, we have restrictions on firewood and how far it can be transported due to the emerald ash borer beetle. I have not checked recently , it may have been dropped due to the fact that emerald ash borer disease is fully widespread in Wi. Most communities are preemptively cutting and removing ash trees. Very sad.

The listing also gives me the tool to turn off and on allowing camp fires depending on local fire restriction, wind, humidity conditions , time of year etc.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
It sounds interesting,, I do have my privet camp ground in the GWN, 10 miles from any body, cleared and with a creek has fish and gold,, thought I have yet to find enough to pay for my gas, LMAO,,
All the best to you and your endeavor

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
It sounds interesting,, I do have my privet camp ground in the GWN, 10 miles from any body, cleared and with a creek has fish and gold,, thought I have yet to find enough to pay for my gas, LMAO,,
All the best to you and your endeavor
Thank you and your camp ground sounds great!

For those interested here is a link to my listing. I am always open to constructive criticism.

My listing price is not set in stone. Lots to think on that one.

wisconsin-oak-savanna-acres-6p0hlp56

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
On rvforum.net is a thread about hipcamp being discussed by rv'ers that strictly boondock ( no hookups ) and most if not all positive posts.

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
Thank you and your camp ground sounds great!

For those interested here is a link to my listing. I am always open to constructive criticism.

My listing price is not set in stone. Lots to think on that one.

wisconsin-oak-savanna-acres-6p0hlp56
Very nice. I somehow missed this thread. Have any bookings yet?

I'm also thinking about using Hipcamp. It appears I need to build an outhouse from what I read.

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
On rvforum.net is a thread about hipcamp being discussed by rv'ers that strictly boondock ( no hookups ) and most if not all positive posts.
Yeah I think it's more designed for more a primitive type camping experience. I was reading through one of those forums as well. Not all campers are into glamping.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I’ve thought about it with the coming eclipse. Where I live as well as my place up North are both in the path. Place up North (woods, pasture, river frontage) is almost dead center so I would think that would be marketable to umbraphiles. For those of you that rent space to campers, What are any of your experiences with people not catching place on fire, picking up after themselves or getting hurt / suing? Good luck / bad luck with the camp space rental business? I am not sure if a couple bucks in my pocket is worth the risks?

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Yeah I think it's more designed for more a primitive type camping experience. I was reading through one of those forums as well. Not all campers are into glamping.
My understanding of Harvesthosts is that they cater to self contained RV's and many of the spots available for booking will bring you to a location , for example, a winery , with the goal of getting the camper to visit, take the tour, buy product from the winery outlet store. Hipcamp offers a wide range of camping experiences from primitive single campsites with no amenities to glamping tents to cabins and anything in-between .

I’ve thought about it with the coming eclipse. Where I live as well as my place up North are both in the path. Place up North (woods, pasture, river frontage) is almost dead center so I would think that would be marketable to umbraphiles. For those of you that rent space to campers, What are any of your experiences with people not catching place on fire, picking up after themselves or getting hurt / suing? Good luck / bad luck with the camp space rental business? I am not sure if a couple bucks in my pocket is worth the risks?
My plan is to have my tent and campsite available for booking from the 1st of May of this year. I will report back if I get any booking, and give honest feedback, the good and the ugly. Might be the dumbest thing I have jumped into but I hope it ends up being a rewarding way of being able to share the work I have accomplished on my property.

Reactions: 1 users