Do you filter fuel into can or into tractor?

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
I use a Mr. Funnel filter when I fill up my cans. I'll admit, it's a pain. It's really a pain when the diesel pump has higher pressure too. I've thought about switching to filtering when I fuel up my tractor. It would sure save me some time at the pump holding the filter in one hand and the pump in the other.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I use a Mr. Funnel filter when I fill up my cans. I'll admit, it's a pain. It's really a pain when the diesel pump has higher pressure too. I've thought about switching to filtering when I fuel up my tractor. It would sure save me some time at the pump holding the filter in one hand and the pump in the other.
I do it every @#$@#$ time!!!!! Filter FUEL into tractor! With the same filter you are using! YES - it is a royal PITA to hold a 5 gallon jug up in the air that long - but after looking at a fuel filter that had lottsssssss of hours on it, and was CLEAN as a whistle, I'll beeeeeauuch less and keep-a-pourin':D:)

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
There are higher flow Mr. Filters that will speed up the flow through the filter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I do not filter when filling the can, and the only filtering into the tractor is the factory strainer cup in the tank neck.
However, I am fanatic about keeping the cans, fuel tank, and everything else spotlessly clean when fueling up. I always be sure the cap, the top of the tank, the filler neck, the spout, & the top of the can are spotless before pouring.
My buddy has to change the fuel filter in his Rhino about every other month, I changed mine the first time after 10 years. I have seen him fill the Rhino from a can with visible sand on the can spout & on top of the fuel can, and he can't understand why his fuel filter is always plugging up.
I just re-acquired my namesake golf cart from the wife's uncle after 11 years, and there was almost a teaspoon of dirt, sticks, leaves, a bee, & a cricket in the 5gal fuel tank. I cannot imagine being that unaware of what is going in my fuel tank.

Attachments

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Interesting, now I have a question on this Mr. Filter. Every one know how bad the ethanol is on mowers chain saws and generators, and finding some place that sells gas with out that crap in it is like finding hens teeth. And doing the mix with water and let it set over night thing then drain it off works but is a pain. So say you were to do the mix with water to get the ethanol and water to combine and then run it through this Mr Filter, do you think it would filter out the water/ethanol or would the ethanol filter through. I have done the mix with water thing and it is a real PIA to siphon off the gas with out getting some of the water/ethanol getting sucked up too

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
I may be the only one doing this but it has worked so far. I use cheese cloth double layered which I drape in and over a big galvanized funnel. I have one for gas and one for diesel that I use when filling tanks.

I place them in a large zip lock bag after use, cracked to evaporate then seal up shortly after each use.

Sure there are better and more effective ways but I had a roll of cheese cloth 100' or so and the above is what i came up with.

Got the idea from straining my worm juice which I make that goes into a sprayer to be applied to garden.

Have a great weekend.

Jay

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Mixing with enchanted elixirs, straining through magical funnels and replacing charmed filters there is definitely some voodoo involved with diesel fuel. Me I just set a fresh can of fuel out under a full moon for a couple of hours and its good to go. It has worked for three years... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I think it is the fresh can of fuel part that is key there:D

I filter as the fuel goes into the tractor with a Mr Funnel. Here is my rationale: it is water that allows the algae and bacteria to grow using the diesel for food. Water condenses on surfaces, including the insides of fuel containers when the temperature fluctuates. It is pretty humid in Michigan. I can't lift a full 5 gal container so only put in 3 gal, so plenty of surface to collect water. I go for fuel about every other week, so plenty of opportunity for empty or half empty can to accumulate traces of water.

I wouldn't have believed it was actually doing anything until one cold day last winter I saw the tiny ice crystals collect in the funnel.

So filtering at the service station will get rid of water from their tanks but won't get rid of that which condenses from the air at home. Or the alfalfa leaves that want to fall in off your coat :rolleyes:

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
I think it is the fresh can of fuel part that is key there:D

I filter as the fuel goes into the tractor with a Mr Funnel. Here is my rationale: it is water that allows the algae and bacteria to grow using the diesel for food. Water condenses on surfaces, including the insides of fuel containers when the temperature fluctuates. It is pretty humid in Michigan. I can't lift a full 5 gal container so only put in 3 gal, so plenty of surface to collect water. I go for fuel about every other week, so plenty of opportunity for empty or half empty can to accumulate traces of water.

I wouldn't have believed it was actually doing anything until one cold day last winter I saw the tiny ice crystals collect in the funnel.

So filtering at the service station will get rid of water from their tanks but won't get rid of that which condenses from the air at home. Or the alfalfa leaves that want to fall in off your coat :rolleyes:
I think I'm going to switch to this method for a while. We have a hurricane headed our way and I did not have time to filter my diesel today.

Thanks for the responses.

maclean

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 25, 2014
Lowell, Or
I had one of these made for my BX...100 micron...after having to pull the tank to find and fish out a foil bottle seal someone dropped in the tank.

I wrote up and posted more info...

Last edited:

Technical Ted

Equipment
L3560/cab LA805 loader LandPride RCF2060 rotary cutter, HLA hyd angle snow blade
Jul 2, 2016
Dansville NY
I bought an additional 5 gal diesel container and marked it "Filtered only". I keep this empty until I bring a different 5 gal container home with fuel in it. I put my fuel additives in the empty "Filter only" container (Stanadyne and anti-fungal) because I doubt they would pass through the Mr. Funnel. Then, filter the fuel as I empty the original container into the "Filter Only" container. Doing this on the floor saves me from having to wait for the funnel up higher in the tractor. Then, just pour into the tractor with a regular funnel. Whatever fuel stays in the Mr. Funnel I just pour back into the original container and it gets mixed back in with more fuel next time.

Additional steps? Yes... but it works out for me and I have tried it other ways.

YMMV,
Ted

windzer

Equipment
Bx2370-1
Dec 8, 2015
Illinois usa
I just fill up my fuel cans at the station then bring them home and dump it into my 55 gallon drum using a mr funnel I used to filter it at the station but all the bubbles in it from the pump really slows down the funnel so by the time I get it home the bubbles are gone and I can pour it into my drum using the mr funnel and it will filter as fast as I can pour it also I have a goldenrod waterblock filter on my filrite pump for good measure
The mr funnel works awesome and fast as long as the fuel doesn't have a bunch of bubbles in from the station fuel pumps that's what screws a lot of guys up

Attachments

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
Yup, I do:) Of course mine's attached to a 500 gallon tank which has Standyne and anti-fung in it. Gas motors get non ethanol but it's pretty easy to find around here. Sty away from B20 if you can.