DIY BH77 Install Journey

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
FYI, I couldn't lift my bh77 with my l3901 and forks. I had to lift/drag it off of my utility trailer. It's 850lbs, plus A LOT of wood in the transport frame.

I did my own install too. Definitely get metric taps to chase the mounting holes for the subframe bolts. Mine were badly powder coated.

And in terms of hooking it up to the tractor, yea hook it up hydraulically, and you can use the bucket to move the subframe pins. It's too low on the crate to do this the first time. I used a floor jack to raise up each side and throw 2x4s or 1x until it got close to height. I might even have used planks from the transport frame.

Build a dolly for it ASAP (essentially a big furniture dolly, look on youtube). Comes in SUPER handy.
same on this end... I store my BH77 on a custom made pallet (maybe 3'x5') and the L3301 w/ forks is just (an I mean just) capable of lifting it a few inches off the ground to move around my shop. I usually have a 470# logging winch on the back and this as a counter weight still makes the back end very very light and front axle spec'ed overloaded.

I really only do this to rotate the BH so I can drop the winch and back into the BH for mounting. The BH is heavy built and itself makes a great (somewhat expensive) counter weight. would never try to move without significant counter weight.

Reactions: 1 users

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
Fwiw, I didn't take the wheels off when I installed the subframe on my L. It would have been easier, but I got it done. I didn't want to deal with Jack stands ect. Maybe you can do the same.
I think I can still do the same on the LX. Your stance is a little wider on the L and there are some different rear brackets IIRC so may be easier than the LX lol.

The LX requires me to insert all the longer bolts through both subframe and upper reinforcement and then try to line them up with the mounting holes in the axle/trans housing since a few of the bolts interfere with the rear wheels if they aren't pre-inserted.

It's been real cold here since yesterday evening too, been too lazy to do any work in the garage today 😂

Reactions: 1 user

radas

Equipment
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
same on this end... I store my BH77 on a custom made pallet (maybe 3'x5') and the L3301 w/ forks is just (an I mean just) capable of lifting it a few inches off the ground to move around my shop. I usually have a 470# logging winch on the back and this as a counter weight still makes the back end very very light and front axle spec'ed overloaded.

I really only do this to rotate the BH so I can drop the winch and back into the BH for mounting. The BH is heavy built and itself makes a great (somewhat expensive) counter weight. would never try to move without significant counter weight.
Agree, my LX could lift the crated BH77 with bucket about 1" off of the ground to move around and I could feel the back getting light. This was with a woods 54" box blade ~500lbs and the pallet cart it sits on ~150lbs still attached via straps.

Honestly I was surprised I could even move it at all. Now that it's uncrated, it should be a little easier. When I go to mount it, I'll use a crowbar to nudge my 3T jacks under it and get a HF dolly and wheel it around the garage into position until I can get measurements for a dolly.

radas

Equipment
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
I didn't update this thread with progress and did in the "what did you do to your Kubota today?" thread. So here goes:

Picked up yesterday, fit in a 5x9 single axle.

PXL_20230422_133003265.jpg

Drove it to the house, maneuvered into the garage so I can uncrated it.

PXL_20230422_230541824~2.jpg

Installed the longer Joysticks

PXL_20230422_225719328.jpg

Installed the swivel seat on the tractor - if the directions were clearer for this, it would have been a lot easier. I spent 30 minutes searching for the seatbelt spacers they were referring to only to find them in the hydraulic hose washer/gasket bag.

PXL_20230422_191330832.jpg

Removed the 3pt

PXL_20230422_225735934.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
Agree, my LX could lift the crated BH77 with bucket about 1" off of the ground to move around and I could feel the back getting light. This was with a woods 54" box blade ~500lbs and the pallet cart it sits on ~150lbs still attached via straps.

Honestly I was surprised I could even move it at all. Now that it's uncrated, it should be a little easier. When I go to mount it, I'll use a crowbar to nudge my 3T jacks under it and get a HF dolly and wheel it around the garage into position until I can get measurements for a dolly.
i mount / un-mount my BH77 couple times of month. I keep a full dimension 2"x4" about 4' long at hand and use it every time I mount the BH.

Un-mounting takes about 2 minutes.

Mounting on the other hand takes a little more skill and a couple minutes more and the 2x4 is always used to nudge the BH a little as I roll the tractor backwards so the bottom pins of the BH aligh with the hooks on the sub frame. Outriggers get the height right (unless on my pallet then height already fine) and 2x4 gets the side to side alignment right.

same 2x4 also used on getting mower, tiller, snowblower, winch, etc... pins aligned for the 3pt hitch as well.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
@radas - my compliments to you for taking this project on yourself. You’ll have a great understanding of the BH when done.

I took my snowblower and front hitch in crates and boxes 10 years ago. Very simple assembly and installation process in comparison to your project. Also saved me a couple hundred bucks….betting your savings is much greater! 😉

Good for you! 👍

Last edited:
  • Love

radas

Equipment
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
i mount / un-mount my BH77 couple times of month. I keep a full dimension 2"x4" about 4' long at hand and use it every time I mount the BH.

Un-mounting takes about 2 minutes.

Mounting on the other hand takes a little more skill and a couple minutes more and the 2x4 is always used to nudge the BH a little as I roll the tractor backwards so the bottom pins of the BH aligh with the hooks on the sub frame. Outriggers get the height right (unless on my pallet then height already fine) and 2x4 gets the side to side alignment right.

same 2x4 also used on getting mower, tiller, snowblower, winch, etc... pins aligned for the 3pt hitch as well.
Always good to have an extra 2x4 handy! I ended up using a 10' strut channel to use as a lever to get my jacks out from under the BH pallet 😂 I will definitely not do that to the BH itself. I think the cart will help tremendously in this area with lining things up and tweaking.

@radas - my compliments to you for taking this project on yourself. You’ll have a great understanding of the BH when done.

I took my snowblower and front hitch in crates and boxes 10 years ago. Very simple assembly and installation process in comparison to your project. Also saved me a couple hundred bucks….betting your savings is much greater! 😉

Good for you! 👍
Thank you sir!

I've definitely gained some general tractor hydraulics knowledge from this. If I could guess, I'd say $600-1000 in labor was saved as well as a few hundred transporting the LX back and forth to the dealer.

So far, I've got about 3-4 hours into the whole ordeal following the terribly vague instruction manual. I anticipate another 3-4 hours of work to get the subframe on and hoses swapped once my replacement hose arrives.

No regrets so far, it's all nuts and bolts for the most part 😂

From what I've seen, snowblowers can be a royal PITA to prep/mount as well. Can't beat the sense of satisfaction doing it yourself though 😁

radas

Equipment
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
I am still in shock and awe that I bought this tire jack on eBay for $150. This thing is SOLID - weighs about 200lbs. Looking forward to removing my loaded tires with ease.
PXL_20230427_194431887.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

radas

Equipment
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
I am still in shock and awe that I bought this tire jack on eBay for $150. This thing is SOLID - weighs about 200lbs. Looking forward to removing my loaded tires with ease. View attachment 101194
Went to remove my tire today and realized I didn't have a 22mm socket for the lugs... Oh well, it's cold and rainy here in MI today so I'm not too upset.

The tire jack does work very well and can lift the rear end of the tractor by itself (not that I would go that route).

radas

Equipment
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
Started taking things apart today.... Installed my hydraulic hoses and went to mount the subframe to the loader frame and noticed the mounting flanges do not line up... What the hell??
PXL_20230429_184852552.jpg

radas

Equipment
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
The "drivers side" flange looks fine. The "passengers side doesn't make any sense...
PXL_20230429_185446312.jpg

PXL_20230429_184852552.jpg

There can't possibly be a different loader subframe for a third function kit. Did I get a defective loader frame??

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
For whats it's worth. From looking at a few google pictures of loader mount frames etc to me looks as if the triangular plate with the two holes is welded on upside down on the offending side.

radas

Equipment
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
For whats it's worth. From looking at a few google pictures of loader mount frames etc to me looks as if the triangular plate with the two holes is welded on upside down on the offending side.
I agree with you 100% after looking at the LA535 manual and the BH77 install guide. What a joke, must be April fools for me.

I MAY be able to talk the dealer into throwing my subframe on as an add-on to the warranty work I'm going to need now to disassemble and reassemble the front loader subframe.

I've installed the BH77 hoses and closed my power beyond loop for now until my loader gets fixed.

PXL_20230429_194245247.jpg

On a good note, my tire dolly works as intended 😂

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I said it before about the facility that makes the backhoes, they need to move it out of the country because there are people that don't deserve a job. My backhoe was a disaster as well as two dealers and Kubota customer service was a joke.

radas

Equipment
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
I said it before about the facility that makes the backhoes, they need to move it out of the country because there are people that don't deserve a job. My backhoe was a disaster as well as two dealers and Kubota customer service was a joke.
From my side, the backhoe has been fine (so far), but Kubota needs to update their backhoe assembly manual and dealer selectivity to either include language for or include the correct hydraulic hose for 3rd function kits.

My issue is with my loader now because the damn backhoe subframe mounting flange on my loader subframe was welded upside down at the factory. I wonder if the loader and backhoe are made in the same place? If so, then I agree with your statement of moving production (preferably to Japan where quality control is infinitely higher).

radas

Equipment
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
Holy shit, this is a $2000 part...

Screenshot_20230429-191744~2.png

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I agree with your statement of moving production (preferably to Japan
We get recalls weekly that can involve hundreds to thousands of units produced in Japan. They have the same problems as we have here.

• Sad

radas

Equipment
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
We get recalls weekly that can involve hundreds to thousands of units produced in Japan. They have the same problems as we have here.
That's a shame, guess the quality doesn't match their cars and trucks. Is it correct that you're a tech? How much of a PITA is it to swap that loader subframe? The way I see it, it looks like I have to disconnect the loader, remove the third function valve and box (hopefully without disconnecting the hoses), then unbolt the loader subframe from the frame?

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
That's a shame, guess the quality doesn't match their cars and trucks.
I see quite a few recalls on their cars and trucks also.

Is it correct that you're a tech?
Yes, I am.

How much of a PITA is it to swap that loader subframe?
It's not bad at all.

The way I see it, it looks like I have to disconnect the loader, remove the third function valve and box (hopefully without disconnecting the hoses), then unbolt the loader subframe from the frame?
That is a pretty accurate description.