Dirt or Pond Scoop

rookiefarmer

Equipment
1972 L260
Nov 1, 2011
Colfax, IN
Hey all, the L260 is almost ready to be put back on the frontlines for active duty. I don't have a FEL and need to move some dirt and stone this summer. For about the price of renting a skid steer for the weekend, I am looking at purchasing a rear dirt scoop, sometimes referred to as a pond scoop.

My question is, available locally, we have both Tractor Supply (which has Country Line implements), or Rural King (King Kutter dealer).
Does anyone have experiences or thoughts on either of these brands or if there is another one I should be looking at?

http://www.ruralking.com/king-kutter-30-dirt-scoop-ds-30-y.html

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/countyline-rear-dirt-scoop

Thanks in advance.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hey all, the L260 is almost ready to be put back on the frontlines for active duty. I don't have a FEL and need to move some dirt and stone this summer. For about the price of renting a skid steer for the weekend, I am looking at purchasing a rear dirt scoop, sometimes referred to as a pond scoop.

My question is, available locally, we have both Tractor Supply (which has Country Line implements), or Rural King (King Kutter dealer).
Does anyone have experiences or thoughts on either of these brands or if there is another one I should be looking at?

http://www.ruralking.com/king-kutter-30-dirt-scoop-ds-30-y.html

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/countyline-rear-dirt-scoop

Thanks in advance.
I have used them, work well if that is ALL you have, slower than an FEL but can be very effective. Get one that you can empty from the seat.....either via a rope or lever, it is a really neat trick when it works well!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I know folks like to spend all the money they can on their tractor and implements!

It's an implement you need for a job, then it sets for a long time before it's used again. So, why not a used one? You can paint it anytime to make it look to suit you.

Look on Craig's List in your neighborhood and there are several for sale. Just call them and ask them, "What's your best price?" Decide and go!!!

Here's an example:

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/grd/5532321974.html

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
I've seen some older ones with a hitch on only one side. They could only be pushed, or pulled, without possibly being taken apart and reassembled. Most modern ones have hitches on front and back.

Bruce

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
The real old ones had a man standing on the back side to make sure the horses acted right. No reverse on those.

The one in the listing has pins on both ends, so it can be pulled forward or pushed backward.

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
The real old ones had a man standing on the back side to make sure the horses acted right. No reverse on those.

The one in the listing has pins on both ends, so it can be pulled forward or pushed backward.
I wasn't thinking that old! :) Haven't seen a horse yet with a 3pt hitch.

Something like this is what I had in mind. I only see maybe 4-6 per year on CL here, and about half don't look reversible.

http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=ferg&th=123283

Bruce

rookiefarmer

Equipment
1972 L260
Nov 1, 2011
Colfax, IN
I know folks like to spend all the money they can on their tractor and implements!

It's an implement you need for a job, then it sets for a long time before it's used again. So, why not a used one? You can paint it anytime to make it look to suit you.

Look on Craig's List in your neighborhood and there are several for sale. Just call them and ask them, "What's your best price?" Decide and go!!!

Here's an example:

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/grd/5532321974.html
D2, I know I just looked on Craigslist yesterday and the only one I saw was some rusted homemade job! I am ALL about saving money, I bought this tractor with 5 implements for $1200. I will almost have more in the transmission rebuild than what I paid for the whole lot:eek:
But on the flip side, without having a FEL, I see many years and lots of uses for this scoop and I'm not afraid to pay new for something of quality that is going to get used

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada

Up here we call them stoneboats.

Lennyzx11

Equipment
L3301
Dec 18, 2015
Bennington Vermont
I see them here for 100-200 bucks on CL pretty regular. Mine is a Howse brand for 100.
I do have a FEL but use it all the time to carry dirt also so I can carry more at a time.
It's also great for picking up large rocks and moving them around. Hence the name "stoneboat".

You can break loose some dirt with a box blade or back blade and pile it up then use the scoop to move it. Good for picking up one end of a log as a cheap log skidded also. Carries "stuff" like a carry all well.
And it's actually fun to pull the release rope mechanically dumping it and then resetting by lowering til it clicks then raising back up as you drive away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
I bought one, last year, at auction, brand new, with faded paint, $45. They work, OK, but slow, in forward, but unless the soil is really loose, you lose traction, and the mechanical advantage of fwd facing lugs, in reverse...:D:D

rookiefarmer

Equipment
1972 L260
Nov 1, 2011
Colfax, IN

alansz400

Equipment
B7500. FEL, Piranha tooth bar, box scraper, post hole digger, 3 pt. bucket
Oct 26, 2013
Loudonville OHIO
Some years in May I go to the engine swap meet in Portland In. but I don't think I am going this year.

Mike9

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Oct 9, 2015
Ghent, NY
Keep checking CL - I drove down to Ct. today and bought a year old TSC dirt scoop for $200. It's in excellent condition and for half the price of new I couldn't say no as I have lots of stuff to move.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Man around my neck of the woods if you can find one they are almost the price of a new one

rookiefarmer

Equipment
1972 L260
Nov 1, 2011
Colfax, IN
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/grq/5556722357.html

found this one locally. Actually so local I can drive my tractor down the road to pick it up lol. Price is high, but its also a 36" Scoop as opposed to the 30" that most of the manufacturers make now. So two questions.
1 - Will my L260 be able to handle this thing fully loaded? I have a weighted front bumper similar to Daren Todd in the process of being made now.
2 - Is the price terribly out of line for this larger model? I have heard from my neighbor that this guy DOES NOT BUDGE on his pricing. He operates a small tractor salvage operation as a side business just down the road from my house.

Thanks!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
It doesn't really matter if your L260 can handle it fully loaded because if it can't, it won't load it!

Depending on your usage if the size is important. If you're cleaning out a ditch you might wish for a narrower one. If cleaning out a pond, wide is better. If material is damp, it will be heavier, so less volume of dirt to carry.

Price is your call. In the CL ad you posted there are two other slips listed. One in Terre Haute...$75 but 100 mile away, One in Martinsville...$165 but 70 miles away. Your neighbor does think a lot of his! But it's close and it's reversible, two things that may be important.