Digging with a loader

Otisdog

Equipment
L 3800, LP RCR 1260 cutter, LP LP FTP 500 spreader, LA 524 loader
May 5, 2013
Decatur, Alabama
First my thanks to all the regulars. I got my first tractor last year and your advice has been very helpful. I successfully planted green fields and cut my hills without turning over last year thanks in large part to your advice

I need some more advice now. Last night we had to bury my sons dog. I tried to dig a hole with the loader and only got it a foot deep before we resorted
to picks and shovels. I'm thinking there must some technique I'm lacking. I put the bucket opening down lifted the front tires then curled as I moved the machine forward. It just didn't work well. Any ideas for better technique would be appreciated

Thanks

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Well your job of a small area excavation is a little unusual. For any serious moving of dirt, I'd add a set of teeth on front, generally bolted on the side panels. With a welder and a strap steel maybe 3"wide by 1/2" thick and some ears for securing it, you can build a tooth bar with sections of fence post. Or for a lot more money buy one.

While some kubota buckets have a simple "level indicator" on the bucket, a better device is a rod inside a small tube up where you can see it better is very useful for controlling a level cut. The rod is attached by a hinge to the bucket to follow its tilt.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
I'm sorry for your loss. That is the worst part about owning a dog for sure.

The way I do it is to use the bucket to shave off a couple of inches at a time, creating a ramp down into the hole. Curl the bucket down a bit, put some weight on it, power forward, then curl up and back out. Repeat.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
First my thanks to all the regulars. I got my first tractor last year and your advice has been very helpful. I successfully planted green fields and cut my hills without turning over last year thanks in large part to your advice

I need some more advice now. Last night we had to bury my sons dog. I tried to dig a hole with the loader and only got it a foot deep before we resorted
to picks and shovels. I'm thinking there must some technique I'm lacking. I put the bucket opening down lifted the front tires then curled as I moved the machine forward. It just didn't work well. Any ideas for better technique would be appreciated

Thanks
Otis,

sorry for your loss, i know that is not the "fun" way to use ol orange!:(

But if digging is a must, get a tooth bar, the piranha tooth bar is a great bang for you buck. The teeth allow a longer front cutting edge and the teeth allow for more pressure on a small surface thus allowing easier cuts. It is build like a brick s_ _ t house too! :D

Turk999

Equipment
B7100 HST
Feb 17, 2014
Weirton, WV
I also have some digging that I have to do. I'm more leveling out and area but in one section we are talking removing 4 feet. What I was planning was to use my buttom plow and then remove with the loader then repeat. I'm not sure if it will work but I'll let you know when I do it letter this spring.

The_Al

Equipment
L3540, Heavy duty FEL, 9' bachoe, Brush hog, 72" grappler
Jul 19, 2013
MA
I also have some digging that I have to do. I'm more leveling out and area but in one section we are talking removing 4 feet. What I was planning was to use my buttom plow and then remove with the loader then repeat. I'm not sure if it will work but I'll let you know when I do it letter this spring.
I have done exactly that, and it works pretty well.

I am still pretty weak on just digging with the front loader though (i.e. without first loosing the ground with the bottom plow, etc.)

navspecwar

Equipment
B3300HST FEL, ATH72 Finish Mower, 5ft KKRear Blade,Piranha TB
Oct 5, 2013
Marion, Illinois
Otis,

sorry for your loss, i know that is not the "fun" way to use ol orange!:(

But if digging is a must, get a tooth bar, the piranha tooth bar is a great bang for you buck. The teeth allow a longer front cutting edge and the teeth allow for more pressure on a small surface thus allowing easier cuts. It is build like a brick s_ _ t house too! :D
I finally had a chance to try out my piranha tooth bar and I can tell you I am very happy I went with this product! Its a night and day difference! Very very sorry for your loss, they might be dogs but more importantly, they are members of your family. I have two and do not look forward to when that day comes.

OldMasterTech

Equipment
KX057-4, KX121-3, L4630GST, RTV1100, AT60, T1700, T1560, 555E
Mar 28, 2011
Massachusetts
I tell my two sons (frequently) that if the front tires are off the ground or the rears are spinning, or both, then you are not a loader operator.
Gear down, slow down and peel an inch at a time. Start way back from your desired spot leaving space for an entry and exit ramp. Takes a while with a FEL and requires moving a lot more dirt than a hoe bucket.

Otisdog

Equipment
L 3800, LP RCR 1260 cutter, LP LP FTP 500 spreader, LA 524 loader
May 5, 2013
Decatur, Alabama
Thanks to all. I think I have a better feel for the correct approach for next time.
It was tough for him to lose Buster but on the plus side he had him for 13 years.
Again thanks to all for the advice over the past year. I don't post much but I do
Pay attention to what I read here.

Ironhorse

Equipment
BX25D, Piranha tooth bar, Landpride chipper, LP PHD
Aug 9, 2013
Montana
Its a hard but important task to bury a dog. I went through that last fall. I think the digging helped me deal with the loss.

I'm a big fan of the Piranha tooth bar for the loader. Even with my little machine it works great. We have very rocky ground so I did decide to get a backhoe. Its also the only way I can dig with the loader in hard ground.

By the way, the backhoe made short work of digging a deep square grave. However we used shovels to cover the dog before using the backhoe and loader to finish the job. This spring we are looking forward to the bloom of a large colorful transplanted lilac to mark the spot.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
My condolences for the loss of the family's dog. From where I sit, I can see two of our dogs' resting places in the yard. The current one is sleeping in front of "The Dragon" (aka pellet stove). Thankfully, 25 years of marriage, our dogs have had long lives. Its always tough.....especially for the kids.

Honestly, a loader is not a real good hole-digger. Its purpose is up, not down for digging. But like the other guys said, with angles you can dig with them.

I used my Piranha bar for the first time today around our stone driveway. While not sure I needed to, it worked well peeling it up first with a box scraper.

Attachments

BotaDriver

Equipment
L3800dt
May 15, 2013
North GA
If soil is tough on the top, use box blade rippers or equivalent to get started.

I'd also suggest adding teeth to your bucket. After chewing up 1.5" of box blade rippers in just one season, I think the piranha would be toast in no time. It certainly has its uses, but if you have granite like we do around here.....well my BB teeth sum it up.

I had to bury our billy last year and had a 5' deep hole in between 20 and 30 minutes. Don't recall exactly, but the hole was big enough to swallow the RTV400. FEL isn't very efficient for digging animal resting spots; you'll always have the 'ramp' that a hoe doesn't require.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
No matter if you use a tooth bar or just regular teeth they make a huge difference. I ordered bolt on teeth for a 4672 Kubota backhoe for my loader bucket. They work great.

Attachments

Big Orange

Equipment
L3650 GST LA650A FEL Howse 60 inch bush hog, Kubota L 321 60 inch snow blower
Jan 11, 2014
Ripley, Maine
No matter if you use a tooth bar or just regular teeth they make a huge difference. I ordered bolt on teeth for a 4672 Kubota backhoe for my loader bucket. They work great.
If you dont mind? what did you pay for teeth and where did you order them.
looks like a great idea:)

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
If you dont mind? what did you pay for teeth and where did you order them.
looks like a great idea:)
I ordered from my Kubota dealer. Not sure what all they came on but I know for sure they fit a Model 4672 Kubota backhoe. I had one and that's where I got the idea for those particular teeth.

I got the teeth, bolts and nuts for $25 ea.

Big Orange

Equipment
L3650 GST LA650A FEL Howse 60 inch bush hog, Kubota L 321 60 inch snow blower
Jan 11, 2014
Ripley, Maine
I ordered from my Kubota dealer. Not sure what all they came on but I know for sure they fit a Model 4672 Kubota backhoe. I had one and that's where I got the idea for those particular teeth.

I got the teeth, bolts and nuts for $25 ea.
Thanks Bulldog

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Big Orange, glad to help. I don't know how long a set of teeth will last but from what I've seen so far they will be there for a while. The backhoe had very little wear on them when I sold it and the set on my loader bucket still look new as well.

As far as digging dirt goes they have made a huge difference. It's so much easier to just take a little bite off each time and also to keep dirt on grade. I have no complaints with them at all.

Rodeo hunter

Equipment
l4400hst with loader,
Apr 2, 2014
Indiana

Thanks
Sorry for your loss. I absolutely love my old heeler/pitbull mix. I'm very new to compact tractors and Kubota but from my exp installing high line towers all over country. I've ran and still run some very exspensive equipment some upwards of $500k and digging with a loader no matter whether small tractor or payloader it's very hard on the loading equipment. It was not designed for that and your just asking to break or prematurely wear your tractor. Some guys will swear they've done it for years but some guys only change oil every yr and use cheapest stuff too. It's just not a good practice to try to master. Thanks