Digging a greenhouse.

Tag944

Equipment
BX23s
Mar 1, 2022
Florida
I am new to tractors, having about 70 hrs on my BX23s bought in feb. Im currently digging a greenhouse ( wallipini). It will be 20'x 40' and about 6' deep when Im done. Ive gotten most of the sand ( Florida--think beach sand) removed from where I want by creating a ramp --out of sand-- outside the perimeter and using it to get out of the hole. However, at this point the ramp is becoming a bit steep for sand and even in 4x the wheels are spinning at times. I would like to keep using the FEL as I can make faster progress than the backhoe--but I just want to make sure IM not missing something before finishing up with the backhoe. Im on R4 tires --no chains. Thank you!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Typical issue, you'll either have to make the ramp longer or switch to BH.

pjoh784350

Equipment
BX23, quick attach bucket, 3 point, pallet forks
May 3, 2019
Danville
How do you hold the walls back at 6' deep of sand? That's a good size greenhouse!

Tag944

Equipment
BX23s
Mar 1, 2022
Florida
How do you hold the walls back at 6' deep of sand? That's a good size greenhouse!
Setback. The bottom of the hole will be 20x40--which is where the concrete footing will be poured, but the top of the hole (currently) is about 4' wider than that and it slopes down and in. The ground also has about an inch of topsoil and roots holding it in place. Once the footing is poured and rebar placed, block will be put in place and some gravel/stone backfilled to help with drainage. Then the roof, which is angled to allow winter sun in but not summer sun --will be built. The reason for it being underground is to provide stable temps using the earth's temp (some where between 55-68 year round). Hopefully this will allow me to grow things that cant tolerate the occasional freeze (like coffee) but still take advantage of the mild temps.

Reactions: 2 users

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
I am new to tractors, having about 70 hrs on my BX23s bought in feb. Im currently digging a greenhouse ( wallipini). It will be 20'x 40' and about 6' deep when Im done. Ive gotten most of the sand ( Florida--think beach sand) removed from where I want by creating a ramp --out of sand-- outside the perimeter and using it to get out of the hole. However, at this point the ramp is becoming a bit steep for sand and even in 4x the wheels are spinning at times. I would like to keep using the FEL as I can make faster progress than the backhoe--but I just want to make sure IM not missing something before finishing up with the backhoe. Im on R4 tires --no chains. Thank you!
The rear diff lock will help with traction.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
A looong in/out ramp! Front bucket hold 4x the sand the BH bucket does and you need to take the fill 'somewhere', far,far away. Once pad and walls are in place ,then fill in the ramp.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Not familiar with that type greenhouse…but wheels spinning in steep sand slopes …it sure sounds like a fantastic opportunity to die in a roll-over. Be careful “new to tractors”. ;)

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
greenhouse design is similar to a 'bank' barn. Quite popular 'over 'ome', other side of the pond......

Will easily add 2-3 months to the normal growing season

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
greenhouse design is similar to a 'bank' barn. Quite popular 'over 'ome', other side of the pond......

Will easily add 2-3 months to the normal growing season
Have you come across the Nebraska retiree's solar/geothermal-heated year-round citrus grow operation?
This kind of stuff has always inspired me and I'm still holding firm of a dream to use my tractor to help create such a structure on our 116 ac smallholding. The regularly high surface-water table here brings some challenges as it can rise some years to about 2-3 feet below the surface near our home, keeping the basement sump real busy. Siting will be critical here. Way different terrain and soil/subsoil here! The precambrian shield is 6-7 ft below grade at the house.
This Nebraskan has created a productive and relatively high tech low energy input structure, as a "retirement" project. His design and word has spread, too.
Nebraskan growing oranges in the snow.

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
The rear diff lock will help with traction.
BUT with a BX be sure you know how to use it properly.

There have been reports where the BX diff lock was used improperly, and resulted in a piece of something breaking free and falling down in the housing, and causing the housing to be cracked.

Big dollar repair.

Just a heads up.

Hue

Equipment
Kubota L4060, box blade, stump bucket grapple, snowblower
May 17, 2019
New Brunswick Canada
You might want to consider a box blade for ballast in the rear. Every time you carry a load out you could drag some material with you too.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You might want to consider a box blade for ballast in the rear. Every time you carry a load out you could drag some material with you too.
That's being optimistic. If he's spinning his tires before the box blade additional drag might not allow him to move!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
That's being optimistic. If he's spinning his tires before the box blade additional drag might not allow him to move!
AND…his BH might already be back there…??

Tag944

Equipment
BX23s
Mar 1, 2022
Florida
I was just gonna provide an up date. I stopped work on this greenhouse to think how to proceed safely. The layer of sand I hit at 7' was a lot looser and anytime the loader was full, the tires would just spin. So after a 2 week break, I was gonna lay pallets down or fenceposts....like stairs. But I realized it was when the front tires were loaded that the additional drag was more than the traction I had. So I backdragged to provide a flat surface and it helped. But the solution came when a rain interupted work and after it passed the sand was a lot denser and easier to move on. So I kept the sand wet and I was able to get full buckets out. The ramp is about 50' long and has a 7' elevation change.

Reactions: 1 users