Differential lock pedal

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Nice execution and job, @Smokeydog
The pedal on my BX25D is certainly a slippery snake when mud abounds, as it often does precisely when I have to use 4wD and the diff lock.
If you are up to the challenge, you should figure out what it is worth to you to produce them. Yes, the screws should be accessed from the front.

As far as style in the field, rock it! I often can be seen sporting Wellingtons, shorts, a torn T-Shirt, filthy head band and carrying a shovel. No wonder visitors often make a hasty u-turn then they see me emerge from the woods..

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
As I have noted there are differences between tractors, size of lever diameter and length that would have to be figured out. I know on the gray one there was a large drip of paint on the tractor side that had to be sanded smooth to install.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Smokey, I think you did a great job on it. Looks good, and practical. I know that another forum member makes/sells them commercially but at almost $100 plus shipping, I just didn't feel it was worth it.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Thought I would make a comment as a home shop guy that likes to design and build things. It always amazes me how people who do not make things think your time is not worth any thing. You are saying that for $20 he is supposed to design and build package and ship for $20 ? How much is your time worth? Not to mention the cost to build , equip and maintain a shop.
No, if you had taken the time to read what I wrote you’d already know that. What I said was I’d make my own before I’d spend much more than $20 on it. The design and execution by the OP is impressive. A lot of tractor owners can, and do, fab simple (and not so simple) stuff themselves, and I’m one of them. I would spend an afternoon fabricating something out of the scrap pile before spending $75 on a pedal extension even if it is worth $75. I also said I’m pretty cheap sometimes.

There are two sides to every sale and a lot of “home shop” guys (which has intermittently included me) sometimes miss that just because it costs you $50 to make something and you have $100 labor in it doesn’t mean you can actually sell it for $150 or more. If the builder had $50 materials and $100 labor in a product, a “fair” price is arguably $250 at a minimum, but it’s extremely rare the buyer knows the cost the seller has in it. From the buyer perspective, they have a want or need, they look at the product that allegedly addresses their want/need, and decides if the price is a fair trade for the result it provides. In this case, as stated in my previous post, I’m looking at it solely from the buyer perspective. Assuming there’s some efficiency of process worked out to make a volume of them and materials are also procured in some volume, I got no clue how much time and materials are sunk into each one. Neither does any other potential buyer.

OP asked a question: what would you pay for one? No one else answered that. Maybe now I see why.

So, how about it? What would you pay for one? Not “What‘s a fair price for the manufacturer’s time, etc.” but at what price do YOU pull your wallet out and hand over the cash?

That’s very valuable info for the OP if he’s thinking at all about selling some so he’ll know if it’s worth his time based on what price point would result in sales. I think it would be very helpful if a few more people weighed in with a number.

Edit: I now see some others did answer the OP’s price question between my posts.

Last edited:

NCL4701

Equipment
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Smokey, I think you did a great job on it. Looks good, and practical. I know that another forum member makes/sells them commercially but at almost $100 plus shipping, I just didn't feel it was worth it.

Best of luck to you.
I have seen the $100 ones. They are nice. For me, it’s not a $100 problem.

OP’s solution is probably what should come on it from the factory.

Reactions: 1 users

NCL4701

Equipment
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
As I have noted there are differences between tractors, size of lever diameter and length that would have to be figured out. I know on the gray one there was a large drip of paint on the tractor side that had to be sanded smooth to install.
The gray one is what should come on it from the factory. You did a great job with it. Sorry now I ever said anything about possibly making them for sale.

Jmsossi

Equipment
Bx1880 bx2830 rck54-23
Oct 8, 2013
Calumet, mi
What would, in reality, cause me to actually order one? Not considering your side of it (time, materials, etc.) because, in reality, I usually don’t much consider that on small purchases; it’s just a cost/benefit for me.

For the gray one (color not important, just identifying style) I’d pay $20 + reasonable shipping. $25 + shipping; depends on when I last had a real problem with it and how rich/poor I’m feeling. Past that, I’d more likely fab something even if it doesn’t look as good as yours, which it probably wouldn’t.

Not saying you wouldn’t have sales at a higher price point. I’m aware I can be pretty cheap at times, but didn’t see anyone answering that question directly, so there’s a brutally honest answer from one admitted cheapskate.
When will you start to take orders? Yep... I am serious!
When will you start to take orders? Yep... I am serious!
Thank you for your interest, but I only make things for myself or as a favor to good friends. I enjoy time in my shop and don’t want to make it into a job 😀

Reactions: 5 users