Differential lock pedal modifications

TD Tractor

Equipment
L4701, LA765 FEL, 60" Grapple, 84" Snow Blade, 60" bush hog, Ford 871,703 loader
Dec 1, 2016
Partlow, Va
Morning all, has anyone done a modification on the rear differential lock pedal. I got a problem with my left foot when I exsert downward pressure on my heal, it just doesn't work anymore. It's been that way for long time. I'm looking to modify the lock pedal by welding a flat pice of plate steel and extending it out a couple of inches. Any help is much appreciated!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
TD,

check your linkage first - does it not engage? OR simply not rise back up?

I take it you are positive that it is not engaging? Simple test - turn front end a bit and engage - if it works, you will be pushed forward and not into the turn.

Last thing to look for, it sounds like the lock pin is sheared, which is not going to be fun to fix!

Welding a pedal onto it will allow you to hit it easier - but most people have to "find" it rather than slap the heel onto it - if you follow what I mean. The idea of the dif-lock is to want to stop movement and "find" the lock lever. It would be too easy to hit otherwise.

I would find a way to make it work be the mods!:)

TD Tractor

Equipment
L4701, LA765 FEL, 60" Grapple, 84" Snow Blade, 60" bush hog, Ford 871,703 loader
Dec 1, 2016
Partlow, Va
TD,

check your linkage first - does it not engage? OR simply not rise back up?

I take it you are positive that it is not engaging? Simple test - turn front end a bit and engage - if it works, you will be pushed forward and not into the turn.

Last thing to look for, it sounds like the lock pin is sheared, which is not going to be fun to fix!

Welding a pedal onto it will allow you to hit it easier - but most people have to "find" it rather than slap the heel onto it - if you follow what I mean. The idea of the dif-lock is to want to stop movement and "find" the lock lever. It would be too easy to hit otherwise.

I would find a way to make it work be the mods!:)
Thanks 85Hokie, the diff lock is working. The factory pedal just doesn't I've give my foot enough leverage to engage it.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Thanks 85Hokie, the diff lock is working. The factory pedal just doesn't I've give my foot enough leverage to engage it.
I gotcha!

Can you "bolt" something to it as opposed to welding? Flat plate with circular loop that could have a jamb bolt attached? That way it could removed if need be:)

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Morning all, has anyone done a modification on the rear differential lock pedal. I got a problem with my left foot when I exsert downward pressure on my heal, it just doesn't work anymore. It's been that way for long time. I'm looking to modify the lock pedal by welding a flat pice of plate steel and extending it out a couple of inches. Any help is much appreciated!
I'm having the same trouble as you TD, I'm wondering if the spring or whatever it is may be too heavy making it difficult to push down and hold down. If it is a spring maybe swapping it out for a lighter one would help.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada

billrigsby

Equipment
L1500DT Too many implements, or is there such a thing?
Mar 17, 2015
Florissant CO USA 8213'
www.facebook.com
I gotcha!

Can you "bolt" something to it as opposed to welding? Flat plate with circular loop that could have a jamb bolt attached? That way it could removed if need be:)
Like this.................

http://www.boltonhooks.com/jd1series.html

This is for one of those "Waste Management"
colored tractors, but may work,
and it does not need to be painted :D

Attachments

Last edited:

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
Like this.................
We are working on a more universal clamp on design that should fit a variety of models and colors.

This is for one of those "Waste Management"
colored tractors, but may work,
and it does not need to be painted :D
At least they don't turn pink in the sun :p :D

Brazos

Equipment
L2501DT
Jul 12, 2016
Texas
I would be very interested in a product like that. My different lock is about useless as my heel slips off of it (like others said the spring is really heavy). If nothing else I may put some skate board tape on it.

lddykstra

Equipment
L3940HSTC
Feb 5, 2014
Rock Valley, Iowa
I changed the Spring on the linkage out to a less powerful spring. It has worked great. Now I dont have to stand on the pedal which shuts the tractor off by the way. Now I just need to rest my foot on the pedal to engage it and the spring still disengaged it like it should with no adverse effect.
I got the spring at my local farm store.

TD Tractor

Equipment
Dec 1, 2016
Partlow, Va
Thanks all for your help! I looked at the spring today. I think that changing the spring is the first thing I am going try.
Thanks again!