Different Reactions to ROPS Modifications

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
In one recent thread, a poster was beaten up a bit because he added foam filling to the inside if his ROPS to deaden harmonic vibration resulting from hydrostatic whine. To the same extent that those who choose to drill a couple small holes in there ROPS are subjected to, if they do so to mount something like auxiliary lights.

There was an approximately concurrent thread where a guy did a great job building a canopy support attached to his ROPS, that was really well built. The builder stated (and it sure looked to be the case) it was so strong he thought he could lift the tractor off the ground using it as the lift point. He was justifiably congratulated on a great job.

So now I am scratching my head. Sure seems like cantilevering a very strong canopy support off the ROPS would GREATLY increase the likely failure of the ROPS in a worst case event, as compared to the effect of a couple small holes, or filling the ROPS with foam.

Almost seems hypocritical to condemn a guy that simply fills his ROPS with foam while at the same time giving attaboys to a guy that did a great job fabricating something that could in fact REALLY compromise the ability of the ROPS function as it should in a catastrophic event.

If I were to choose, I would take the foam filled ROPS in a catastrophic event every time, over the tractor with the super well build canopy support cantilevered off the ROPS.

I give attaboys to both guys. But I wonder if I am the only one seeing potential danger that hanging a canopy off the ROPS may offer (especially a really well built one)

Last edited:

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I hadn't thought about a canopy but I'm sure increased leverage against the ROPS would increase possibility of failure. One can purchase a canopy through the dealer but I do not believe it is technically a Kubota product which probably gives Kubota some legal wiggle room if the ROPS with canopy fails. If the canopy fails and it injures the driver during a roll over I see another cause for concern. You pose some interesting thoughts, sir.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
The only problem I can see with filling the ROPS with foam is hidden rust if the foam is 'open cell' and a hole has been drilled into the ROPS or the inside of the ROPS is not finished( I've never had a camera in mine...). If rust gets a chance to form, then the integrity of the ROPS is compromised. Sure it'll take a while, maybe a lifetime, maybe not..
I'll assume the factory ones have enough air circulation and weeping holes to not allow rust to form. Anyone with a late model GMC pickup will KNOW why foam and steel in not a good combination.
As for the canopy additions, if bolted on, it'll probably break off, though really WHO is going to test that in the real world ??
It's not up to me to approve any modifications to your machines though I do like to point out possible problems or concerns, things you may have not thought of.

Shawnmc

Equipment
B1550
Dec 29, 2019
Kirkfield, Canada
Anytime you modify something engineered and tested as a safety device you're taking your life into your hands... Just like when you drive, eat anything, sleeping, existing, etc. There's a billion ways to die and we all find one eventually. Modifying your roll cage is the least of your worries. Yes it might ruin your trade in value, will you die from it? No.

2 threaded holes or 2 welded brackets won't make a difference if you don't have a seatbelt anyways. Welcome to the internet, if people can find something to complain about, they will. I find it more so on forums than Facebook where you can be completely anonymous. I built my own ROPS for my other tractors with my tube bender and some 1-3/4" .120" wall DOM. I then proceeded to weld a shit load of brackets for lighting and strobes. Would I have died before or after welding the brackets? If my buddy had 3 jackstands instead of 2 last week under his truck would have lived or died?

Tldr; it's your tractor, modify as you see fit to serve your needs, we all die eventually.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
..."I give attaboys to both guys. But I wonder if I am the only one seeing potential danger that hanging a canopy off the ROPS may offer (especially a really well built one)
I was the one with the Canopy.

Kubota offers two different types of ROPS canopies for my tractor, both types BOLT to the ROPS. SUNSHADE (CANOPY) KIT (E1133) - DELUXE FIBERGLASS CANOPY KIT (E1123)
rops-canopy.jpg

Personally I thought the whole foam discussion was a joke. Half the guys complaining bolt lights and tool boxes to it. Big deal.

Seemed like three camps, one worried about resale value, one worried about litigation one one that just worries (about everything I am sure).

The hour meter takes THOUSANDS off the value of the tractor, that is the biggest cause of loss in resale value.

I worry about stupid litigation just enough to buy insurance.

Some advice my mother gave me years ago, "make good decisions".

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
It's your tractor, you owm it so be the 'Captain of your own ship'. If you sink it. oh well. If you do, just don't whine about it.

You can fill it with oatmeal for all I care. Is it right to fill it? Probably not but, again, it's yours.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
It's your tractor, you owm it so be the 'Captain of your own ship'. If you sink it. oh well. If you do, just don't whine about it.

You can fill it with oatmeal for all I care. Is it right to fill it? Probably not but, again, it's yours.
Isn't personal responsibility great!

And FYI - Adding foam to your sinking ship will help. Adding oatmeal, not so much.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
I hadn't thought about a canopy but I'm sure increased leverage against the ROPS would increase possibility of failure. One can purchase a canopy through the dealer but I do not believe it is technically a Kubota product which probably gives Kubota some legal wiggle room if the ROPS with canopy fails. If the canopy fails and it injures the driver during a roll over I see another cause for concern. You pose some interesting thoughts, sir.
No way would adding a canopy be too much leverage on the ROPS. They are designed to handle the weight of the tractor.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
While OEM/aftermarket canopies wouldn't affect the ROPS, homebuilt might.
All the OEM/AM ones I've seen online are made from plastic and thin metal tubes,bolted to the ROPS. Obviously they will selfdestruct before impacting the ROPS.
Homemade though could. If it's made 'old skool', from say 1.5",thickwalled steel with heavy duty gussets and continuous welds to the ROPS, it might pose a problem. However the odds of 'over building' a canopy would be rare,most build them lightweight and bolted on..copying what OEM/AM has for sale.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
While OEM/aftermarket canopies wouldn't affect the ROPS, homebuilt might.
All the OEM/AM ones I've seen online are made from plastic and thin metal tubes,bolted to the ROPS. Obviously they will selfdestruct before impacting the ROPS.
Homemade though could. If it's made 'old skool', from say 1.5",thickwalled steel with heavy duty gussets and continuous welds to the ROPS, it might pose a problem. However the odds of 'over building' a canopy would be rare,most build them lightweight and bolted on..copying what OEM/AM has for sale.
The Kubota kit is stout fiberglass over a full steel frame. Aftermarket are anything from heavy duty to glorified umbrellas. What I found in my research directly contradicts what you wrote. ANY of them will affect the rops and the resulting crash will be affected as well.

These threads turn into - Warranty, resale, litigation OH MY. I think this is what half of all the meds people are taking are for. So the poor dears can get some sleep at night in this scary scary world.

Relax people, (or don't) it's just a tractor.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
got a link or part number of the Kubota kit ? I'd like to see what/how it's made as all the AM ones I've found are tubing and U-bolts.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
found it ! thanks....
It'd selfdestruct before any ROPS damage... F/G ain't exactly 'solid' and the tubular rails held on by 2 nuts and bolts. If the wall thickenss of the rails is < 1/8, they'll buckle under fairly easily.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
found it ! thanks....
It'd selfdestruct before any ROPS damage... F/G ain't exactly 'solid' and the tubular rails held on by 2 nuts and bolts.
If the wall thickenss of the rails is < 1/8, they'll buckle under fairly easily.
Here is a link the thread that was referenced to earlier:

https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=46369&d=1576858971

NHsleddog's canopy frame looks like it will resist folding pretty significantly...
At least compared to tubular rails held on by two bolts. :)

Picture of his canopy frame from that thread
(Sorry for the picture size, just linked to the picture in that thread):

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
From the picture...if the gussets are made from 1/8" plate, the 1by1 angles look like .100 thick. Not a lot of strength in them ! A rollover would mangle them. Had the rails been square tubing, stronger but will still deform.
In my younger life I designed/built/used equipment to test steel properties both met and chem, was fun to see a building shake when 250T tensile machine broke bars of steel !

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Mostly 1/4" angle an 1/4" plate. The uprights are 1/8" steel. The front connecting piece is 1/8" angle steel.

I built is so it would not need to be removed during highway travel. I'm not sure how strong it is but is is a whole lot stronger than the OEM one I had on my last blue tractor. I stand by my comment that you can lift the tractor by it.

I just built it and went to bed. I never stopped to think I should be worried about it being to strong or too weak. I just built it to do the job.

If a guy questions any of this, it is better off for him to buy an OEM solution and make sure they have the dealer bolt it on. Only a dealer can bolt stuff on right (I read that somewhere).

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
hmm..without a tape measure, it's hard to figure out thicknesses ,so I was guessin.....

as for ...
'Only a dealer can bolt stuff on right (I read that somewhere). '

I had a rider come here for 'help' after being seviced by dealer ( install new blades).complaint was odd cutting... turned out the dealer $$ service department had put one of the blades on upside down !!
10 minute fix but I kept the rider overnight ,otherwise the client wouldn't have paid me $50 for the 'simple' repair.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Mostly 1/4" angle an 1/4" plate. The uprights are 1/8" steel. The front connecting piece is 1/8" angle steel.

I built is so it would not need to be removed during highway travel. I'm not sure how strong it is but is is a whole lot stronger than the OEM one I had on my last blue tractor. I stand by my comment that you can lift the tractor by it.

I just built it and went to bed. I never stopped to think I should be worried about it being to strong or too weak. I just built it to do the job.

If a guy questions any of this, it is better off for him to buy an OEM solution and make sure they have the dealer bolt it on. Only a dealer can bolt stuff on right (I read that somewhere).
NHSleddog, I agree with you 100%.

When someone charges $50 to remove and turn over mower blades, and knows it's a ridicules price so keeps the mower overnight to make it look like more work, would be a red flag about that person's integrity.