difference between 2 ond 3 range hsd?

jpf

Feb 26, 2016
butler, ga USA
I am going to buy in the near future either a new bx2370 or a b2301.
can anyone tell me the difference between the two and three range hsd.
is the three range hsd on the b2301 geared more for grunt and lower range power or is it geared more to the higher speed?
I don't need more top end speed, would rather have more grunt.
does it really make much difference?
thanks, jpf

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
the hp is about the same .....but the wheel size is different !!! Thus the torque and wheel slip might be better on the B

IF you are JUST getting the machine.......I would get the B

Not sure you need the 3 range - then again, you might find yourself in the middle range all the time!

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
I don't need more top end speed, would rather have more grunt.
does it really make much difference?
thanks, jpf
There is no way to give you a good answer on the difference without knowing your plans for use. If you just need more power for the PTO maybe a BX 2670 is best. If you are going to use that power for 3 point implements the B has a much better 3 point hitch. Lots of support here we just need more information.

jpf

Feb 26, 2016
butler, ga USA
I am still in the compare/shopping mode between the bx 2370 and the b2301 and the three range hsd on the 2301 is I guess supposed to be an upgrade.
my question is about the mechanical difference between them, is the third range a higher or lower range or, is the third range an over drive or under drive.
and about the bx2670 having more power, the engine in the 2301 is the same engine as in the 2670. one is rated at 25.5 hp at 3200 rpm but the engine in the 2301 is the same engine rated at 22 hp at a lower 2800 rpm, same engine.
thanks guys for the response jpf

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
Im well aware of the market for sub-compacts. HP is worthless without the weight to utilize it. All you need to do is look at the spec sheet. The FEL and the 3pt lift capacity are far greater on the B. If you have tight areas and a smaller lot then the BX will work great. If you hog acres a B or an L is a better choice. I just dont like the the little front tires combined with a bucket full of gravel. My B7610 with its 24" front tires sink pretty good as is...

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
If you have a city lot, you don't need much, so the BX would do. Any thing larger get the B.

I've had larger than B size on large area, but now in city lot the BX is OK.

dfh1977

Jun 3, 2013
east ky
Do you want power and torque go with gear model and the B series. Do you want HST and ease to use for basic usage go with BX series. Go to a dealership and try both out. If i had a bigger farm and needed more power i would have got the B series my self. But i liked the BX2370-1 for what i need us it is hydrostatic driven as i cannot drive a standard transmission as all our cars and truck are automatic transmissions. It is like buting a computer to sve on future buying. Ask your self these 2 questions. Where you going to store in when not in use and what is the biggest planned project you might ever do. Plan what you need to complete the project and store it. My BX does not fit in side barn stall because of the ROPS is 1" too tall to fit. Nothing the FEL cannot fix this summer cleaning it out. Good luck and post the pictures when you have your orange baby home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I've owned a 2 range HST for some time, but I've only operated a 3 range for a short time. My limited experience was that both had grunt- I didn't feel that one offered more power to the wheels than another, as in the 3 range was somehow better. But, what 3 ranges does is give you more options. I would think that the overall ability of the tractor to do what you expect is more important than 2 ranges vs. 3.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Apparently none of us knows the gear ratios for these tractors. The best guess I can give you is the B2301 is a little over 100# heavier and will have more traction. I would also guess Kubota engineers would take advantage of the extra weight and traction and design the B2301 with a drive train to transmit a little more power to the ground.

This is a guess I don't know and its not even a SWAG.:rolleyes:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Plowing snow for example,2 ranges i would likely be using low range. Three range i would likely be using mid range and high range would be for travelling a long distance at a higher speed.

My old cockshutt has two ranges i use high range to plow,as reverse is a little faster. And a shorter shift from forward to r.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
From the Kubotra website, the BX2370 has a top forward speed of 13.1 MPH at 3200 RPM. The B3201 goes 19.1 MPH at 2800 RPM.

If my figures are correct, running the BX2370 at the same 2800 RPM's that the B2301 runs at the BX would only go 11.8 MPH. That would make the higher range of the BX geared considerably lower than the highest B.

I have no idea how the lower two ranges of the B compare with the (only) two ranges of the BX. Whether the highest range of the B is only for travel or the split is such that the lower two ranges give the tractor more grunt would require more info than I could find.

jpf

Feb 26, 2016
butler, ga USA
thanks guys, the search goes on.
I went to the dealers today looking at the bx and b then the dealer threw another option at me, he has a new in the crate b2320 gear for about two thousand $ less than the b2301. it seams the 2320 has the size and ground clearance of the 2301 with the specs of the bx 2370. but it is a 9 speed gear drive not a hst.
don't know how much difference that would make to me, my old ford 2n is only a three speed and I never missed the hst because I never had it.
by the way when I started this thread I was calling it a HSD not a HST sometime in the past I had something they called a hydrostatic drive and when I started typing it just came out HSD without thinking about it but thankfully y'all knew what I meant.
and yes chim I have had both of those transmissions.
anyway guys thanks for all the answers and if I ever get off the fence and buy something y'all will be the second to know [after mama].

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
thanks guys, the search goes on.
I went to the dealers today looking at the bx and b then the dealer threw another option at me, he has a new in the crate b2320 gear for about two thousand $ less than the b2301. it seams the 2320 has the size and ground clearance of the 2301 with the specs of the bx 2370. but it is a 9 speed gear drive not a hst.
don't know how much difference that would make to me, my old ford 2n is only a three speed and I never missed the hst because I never had it.
by the way when I started this thread I was calling it a HSD not a HST sometime in the past I had something they called a hydrostatic drive and when I started typing it just came out HSD without thinking about it but thankfully y'all knew what I meant.
and yes chim I have had both of those transmissions.
anyway guys thanks for all the answers and if I ever get off the fence and buy something y'all will be the second to know [after mama].
I like HST, and gear. For a $2000 difference, I would lean towards the 2320- it's a solid tractor.

mport

Equipment
2013 B3200 backhoe
May 9, 2014
ST. Clairsville OH
My neighbor traded his John Deere on a Kubota after trying my b3200.
His main reason was the 3 range hst. He said he was never happy with the Deere 2 speed. Always too fast or too slow. I use mid range about 90% of the time.
As for the hst vs.gear. I've had both and prefer the hst. I have a front loader and not having to shift from forward to reverse speeds things up a lot.
One last thing, If you think you might ever need a bigger tractor but aren't sure, BUY THE BIGGER ONE. My dealer told me that the bx's are traded in for B models quite often.