Diff. lock petal

Bug-O-1

Equipment
Fransgaurd-farming winch
Aug 19, 2012
Liberty Maine
I look all over this forum, am I the only one who cant stand standing on that tiny little diff. lock petal that's on the L3400 DT. After using the tractor for 6 month's moving dirt and getting out firewood I had to do something, this was addition No. 4 on my tractor.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
I use mine only rarely and the small pedal doesn't bother me. Its supposed to stay engaged while under load and self release when no longer needed.
It looks like you rigged yours to stay engaged until manually unlocked?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I look all over this forum, am I the only one who cant stand standing on that tiny little diff. lock petal that's on the L3400 DT. After using the tractor for 6 month's moving dirt and getting out firewood I had to do something, this was addition No. 4 on my tractor.
http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/Oldpath05/media/photo34_zpse37ee446.jpg.html

On the BX it is tiny too, I have to work to get a hold of it with my left foot.
I use it rarely - but have used it to get out of a hole. I would think it could be a bit bigger and easier to hit. I feel like mine will break if I stand on it too hard:eek:

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
I see blue gill doesn't get into many bad areas.

One caution: Never engage that lever when the wheels are turning. I've bought two tractors which did not have the device working, probably due to someone hitting the lever when wheels were whirling.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I see blue gill doesn't get into many bad areas.

One caution: Never engage that lever when the wheels are turning. I've bought two tractors which did not have the device working, probably due to someone hitting the lever when wheels were whirling.
Not a lot, but do sometimes.

I see too many times guys using a FEL with not enough weight on the 3 pt and no traction at the rear tires. Thinking this might the case here?

Otisdog

Equipment
L 3800, LP RCR 1260 cutter, LP LP FTP 500 spreader, LA 524 loader
May 5, 2013
Decatur, Alabama
I've got some inclines 4wd won't climb. I use the diff lock a lot to get up over a short incline has the front wheel spinning. No problem with the lever

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You don't need a diff lock you need a bigger tractor! ;)

Bug-O-1

Equipment
Fransgaurd-farming winch
Aug 19, 2012
Liberty Maine
Trying to turn with diff lock on will eventually break it. It's for straight line use only.
I knew I shouldn't of put a video on this site, everybody like to fine fault, I wont put no more on here. I Use diff lock to help keep the tractor straight on rough ground, sometimes muddy, sometimes rocky, sometimes both, I unlock it to turn with steering brakes. This tractor has never seen flat ground or in a hay field hauling a bale of hay.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Bug-O:

Nice photos and video. Looks like you know your stuff. However, to educate the group here, perhaps tell us the hours you might estimate that you have run with diff-lock engaged. That might answer the question of how long it can be run that way with all the rough ground there. Be sure to let us know if it ever fails and at how many engaged hours total. It might be an indication that orange is pretty tough after all.

Out of curiosity, with that bucket full as front ballast, can you tell if, with a load of logs hung as high as you do, has the front end ever come off the ground? In my snaking of logs with a smaller tractor, I was always watching for that possibility, especially going up hill. Even with ROP, I was not that sure. The load in the bucket is good. I shudda thought of that.

Again, don't worry about comments from those not in your shoes. Your info was good.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I have to say, that is impressive.
We used an atv to pull much smaller wood, twenty cords one winter.
My little L1501 certainly wont do that much, but i am considering building a skidding attatchment to pull a bit of wood this winter. I Use diff lock as a last resort, try not to get too rough with it.
If your diff lock is putting up with this kind of work, it has to be pretty tough.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I liked the video, you were working the tractor good, and I wouldn't say over working it.
I should clarify I said bigger tractor, maybe not a bigger tractor just bigger (wider) tires. ;)

A set of forestry flotation tires would help you tremendously!
I have a set of these and love them for forest work and loader work.

Attachments

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
Great video. I like the cab-over and rear light cages.
I can see why you need your diff lock.

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Very cool video! It also explains the need for diff lock some what. And yes, you do have plenty of weight on the 3 pt. :cool:

Larger tires, loaded and wheel weights might help? But you are getting your moneys worth out of that rig!

I do very similar stuff with my L3800DT. I really like the size of the 3400/3800 in the woods as a log skidder!

Please do post more vids, man. It shows how much work these smaller rigs can do...

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I knew I shouldn't of put a video on this site, everybody like to fine fault, I wont put no more on here. I Use diff lock to help keep the tractor straight on rough ground, sometimes muddy, sometimes rocky, sometimes both, I unlock it to turn with steering brakes. This tractor has never seen flat ground or in a hay field hauling a bale of hay.
Actually this forum is pretty mild. Had you posted this on the larger tractor forum, you would have been dragged through the colas. :eek:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
By parts of your body you would like to remain intact,,lol

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I liked it!

Quite a hitch for a small tractor. Just be careful.;)

A friend wanted to sell some sawlogs at the road. Decent hard maple, and big.

He has a JD 2010 WFE - a nice, older farm tractor that's not too big. Probably mid '60s or so. He said there is no way it could haul the logs to the road - and it probably weighs 2 or 3,000 lbs more than your Kubota.

I gave him some pointers; draw tree length, hook short, use a drawbar on the 3pt., lift front end some, etc.

He could not believe what that 2010 would pull!!