Diesel Transfer Tanks/Pump

BotaBob20

Equipment
2020 Kubota MX5400
Mar 22, 2021
Central WI
Got any favorites for a nice diesel tank maybe 10-30 gallon tank that has either hand pump or electric that have served you well and makes filling up tank much simpler than dumping 5 gallons at a time.

Reactions: 1 user

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I've been looking at the FloFast system. Hand pump but you might be able to outfit some electric model on it.

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Lx2610 Cab, Fel, Backhoe, Grapple, Box Grader, Forks
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey
Got any favorites for a nice diesel tank maybe 10-30 gallon tank that has either hand pump or electric that have served you well and makes filling up tank much simpler than dumping 5 gallons at a time.
I’m right there with ya man, im tired of playing with five gallon cans myself. I switched All my gas cans to 2-1/2 gallon cans just for the simplicity and how bad all the new nozzles suck

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
GOT FORKS? Your MX is bigger than my B

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
I converted an old 30 gallon compressor tank to a transfer tank. Bought all the stuff on amazon, hand pump, bungs, gas cap, etc. saved a couple hundred building my own.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I started to plan a fuel tank build, like 20-25 gal aluminum tank that could be set inside the tractor building, or carried in the truck, loaded with forks. When I started to price and learn about nozzles, pumps and filter configurations, I started losing interest. Will be watching this thread to learn about the set ups you guys are using.

Last edited:

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey
I started a fuel tank build plan, like 20-25 gal aluminum tank that could be set inside, or carried in the truck, loaded with forks, when I started to price out, nozzle, pump and filter set ups I started losing interest. Will be watching this thread to learn about some of the set ups you guys are using.
same here. And than luckily one at work broke and the mechanic threw the entire thing in the trash, now
I have To take it apart to see what went wrong

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
My fuel storage is a 55 gallon drum with a Filrite hand pump. I bought a drum lifter at HF and I refill the drum at the local gas station with off road diesel and use my FEL to remove the drum from my pickup. Simple, cheap, and it works for me.

Reactions: 1 users

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
I have the FloFast hand pump setup. I have the pumps installed on a couple 15 gallon tanks. It's a nice setup and makes filling the tractor and mower a lot easier.

Mike

Reactions: 2 users

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI

SinNH

Equipment
L3430 JD 870 Volvo EC35
Sep 26, 2020
NH
I've been looking at the FloFast system. Hand pump but you might be able to outfit some electric model on it.
Got sick of the five gallon jugs last winter, bought a Flofast, NICE, pumps faster than I expected. Will suck from another container as stated but a bit time consuming. I fill it up at a off road pump in my van, then fill up both tractors out of the side door, unload by hand and store in the shed. Easy and no spillage.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Started out with a 55 gallon drum and fill-rite hand pump. Went to a 55 gallon L step tank with fill-rite electric pump. Then added a 105 L step with GPI electric pump in another truck. Plus a 275 and 600 gallon bulk tanks both with fill-rite electric pumps. All with Goldenrod filters. Don't burn very much but don't want to lack on transfer or storage.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I too was tired of the "save the earth" spouts on 5 gallon fuel cans. Unwilling to bend to the notion that I am aging and not as virile as I once was I chose a compromise solution. I bought a 5 gallon Justrite Accuflow can with a 1 inch diameter hose. It was expensive at $109. Found it on Amazon. Made in Germany I think. Has a lever that controls the flow and works great. Remember that our sun is a dying star and will eventually burn out. I feel no remorse for having given up on the "save the earth" spout/headache , it's all a compromise.

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
I'm looking for a solution myself. The save the earth spouts are great when left off and I pour the contents of the can into a funnel.

Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
I use a "No-Spill" can for my 50:1 stuff - easy to measure 1 gallon into and the green button design actually works well for that application. The "hook and push" type of spout is an absolute joke - I ended up just removing them until I replaced the cans (how does that end up "helping" anything?)

For my big cans (5 gal) I use the Eagle brand - that's the ones with the handle to open and the attached funnel. Although I usually detach the funnel an pour into it. Those have worked pretty well so far.

Looking at getting a pump setup but I don't think I use enough to justify it.

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey
I use a "No-Spill" can for my 50:1 stuff - easy to measure 1 gallon into and the green button design actually works well for that application. The "hook and push" type of spout is an absolute joke - I ended up just removing them until I replaced the cans (how does that end up "helping" anything?)

For my big cans (5 gal) I use the Eagle brand - that's the ones with the handle to open and the attached funnel. Although I usually detach the funnel an pour into it. Those have worked pretty well so far.

Looking at getting a pump setup but I don't think I use enough to justify it.
They are the ones i use I actually really like them so far. Have five of them for almost a year now and no problems.

War Eagle

Equipment
2012 B3000HSDC and Allis Chalmer 5020
Jan 15, 2017
Nampa, Idaho
1629045812331.png

I bought a tank that looks like this (with 4 wheels so it can roll around easy). Is 35 gallons and I use it for my diesel. The hand pump works well. It drips a little out of the seal at the handle so i place a rag there to catch the drips. To fill I just put in my trailer and go fill it up and then just roll if off on the trailer ramp tailgate.

Bought it off Ebay 2 years ago on for $198. Now looks like they are going fro about $240 to $400.

Reactions: 3 users

mattwithcats

Jun 17, 2017
Virginia
First, you need to consider the time and effort of loading the tank, then driving to a gas station (have fun finding one with off road diesel), then driving home, then off loading it...

The most recent setup I did was three 55 gallon drums, used, off Craigslist. Came out of a diesel repair shop. $10 each There was still 3-4 inches of fresh Caterpillar 15W-40 in the bottom! I managed to get almost a gallon out of each one, snicker, A barrel pump, and I'm in business...
A call to the Fuel distributor (They also provide heating oil to the same place) , and two weeks or so later, 100 gallons of diesel is delivered, no fuss.

Because it is off road diesel, it is cheaper than road diesel, but a little more expensive than at the pump, due to delivery costs, about 10¢ a gallon......

I recently upgraded the setup by adding a filter, and a hose.
Later upgrades may be an electric pump and a nozzle...