Diesel Transfer Tank Build

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Prior to buying my BX23s in August this year, I started watching Craigslist, Local For Sale and FB Marketplace for a Diesel Transfer Tank. Something reasonable. Last month I found a 50 gallon Aluminum Hydraulic Tank, which was just what I was wanting for size. I picked it up for $50.

I found a nice (older) Hand Pump for $50. It needed a hose (new 3/4"×12ft installed) and filter (in route).

I bought the necessary fittings and plugs for the bottom of the tank, and threaded bung for the top, which was Tig Welded on at the filler neck. I picked that up from the local weld shop today, along with two 1/16"×2"×70" Stainless strips which will be used as straps to hold the tank to a wood cradle once made.

I had to remove the down tube from the pump and shorten that as well. Disassembly was interesting to do to avoid damage.

I also added an anti-kink coupler into the hose. I'm gaining headway.
1000015578.jpg

Reactions: 10 users

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Nice tank!

You going to take it to fill or have have it filled on site?

Is there a bottom drain?

Vent? A tank vacuum/pressure valve will help keep the condensation out.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Wow! I hope thats not just for the BX? Over kill unless you have a few diesels? A BX sips fuel. Unless your planning to put 500 hrs per year on your tractor, start planning on treating that tank before stuff starts growing in it and it will! I would rather pick up fresh fuel 5 gallons at a time! BIG tractor different story! 50 gallons should get you close to 600 hrs on the BX and they do not tolerate old fuel with stuff growing in it and you dont want to have to pull the tank to clean it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Nice find!

That should "fill her up" quick!

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Nice tank!

You going to take it to fill or have have it filled on site?

Is there a bottom drain?

Vent? A tank vacuum/pressure valve will help keep the condensation out.
I'll take it to fill. I plan a wood cradle, then the tank banded to it. I also plan to have lifting eyes (one each end of cradle - 4 total) to lift with FEL.

Bottom Drain, Yes. Not a water bleed off.

Vent, Yes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Wow! I hope thats not just for the BX? Over kill unless you have a few diesels? A BX sips fuel. Unless your planning to put 500 hrs per year on your tractor, start planning on treating that tank before stuff starts growing in it and it will! I would rather pick up fresh fuel 5 gallons at a time! BIG tractor different story! 50 gallons should get you close to 600 hrs on the BX and they do not tolerate old fuel with stuff growing in it and you dont want to have to pull the tank to clean it.
The plan is strictly for the BX, which the tank will be stored inside my shop. I built the tank to eliminate the need to fill/lift the cans, due to a handicap of the left hand, so I guess if I need to add additives to prevent growth, so be it. I live on the Washington Coast. Temps in the winter below freezing (upper teens) are short term. A couple weeks on the average. Summer Temps get to 95° +/-, July-August. Average in the shop, 70° or less.

I've researched additives based on Washington's coastal region. Finding regional info doesn't exhist. Standards, storage longevity and treatment recommendations are a plenty. The same said for what's the best choice for additives. That in itself is beyond confusing, so I'm open to suggestions.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The plan is strictly for the BX, which the tank will be stored inside my shop. I built the tank to eliminate the need to fill/lift the cans, due to a handicap of the left hand, so I guess if I need to add additives to prevent growth, so be it. I live on the Washington Coast. Temps in the winter below freezing (upper teens) are short term. A couple weeks on the average. Summer Temps get to 95° +/-, July-August. Average in the shop, 70° or less.

I've researched additives based on Washington's coastal region. Finding regional info doesn't exhist. Standards, storage longevity and treatment recommendations are a plenty. The same said for what's the best choice for additives. That in itself is beyond confusing, so I'm open to suggestions.

SOLTRON (NOT startron) to treat for bio growth, it designed for costal areas with high moisture.

Stanadyne to stabilize.

NAPA has both

Reactions: 3 users

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Summer temps to 95 worse inside the garage? I dont know how much you will use your BX23S but 50 gallons of fuel could last a few years! I put the 5 gallon jug on the floor and use a cheap D battery pump to fill. Its quick easy and fuel is always fresh. I have never stored fuel for years. Maybe others will chime in on longevity? I have my BX23S 6 years now with almost 700 hrs and I probably use 15 gallons a year. My hours are mostly dirt work FEL and BH with mowing (not much) and little snow removal. Good luck I hope it works for you.

Countrylife

Equipment
L235, RTV 900
May 12, 2022
East Texas
I assume that you plan to lift it into the bed of your truck to haul it to the gas station so it won't be permanently mounted. Have you checked to see if the station will allow you to fill it? Some stations require tanks that are not permanently mounted to be placed on the ground before filling and at 350# just for the fuel, you're not likely to be able to do that.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I assume that you plan to lift it into the bed of your truck to haul it to the gas station so it won't be permanently mounted. Have you checked to see if the station will allow you to fill it? Some stations require tanks that are not permanently mounted to be placed on the ground before filling and at 350# just for the fuel, you're not likely to be able to do that.
I'm pretty sure that only applies to plastic containers being filled with gasoline.
This is due to it's being explosive when it's got the potential for there to be a static spark.
A 50 gallon aluminum tank is in itself a semi permanent setup, and it's being filled with diesel which is not ignited with a spark.
;)

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Summer temps to 95 worse inside the garage? I dont know how much you will use your BX23S but 50 gallons of fuel could last a few years! I put the 5 gallon jug on the floor and use a cheap D battery pump to fill. Its quick easy and fuel is always fresh. I have never stored fuel for years. Maybe others will chime in on longevity? I have my BX23S 6 years now with almost 700 hrs and I probably use 15 gallons a year. My hours are mostly dirt work FEL and BH with mowing (not much) and little snow removal. Good luck I hope it works for you.
Temps inside my shop remain considerably cooler than outside Temps due to the monolithic concrete pour. I have tendency to keep the doors closed most of the time to keep it cooler, and so mice don't get in.

50 gallons is a lot, but I'm going to try it. When I made the transition to diesel from a gas guzzling John Deere, I knew there was more involved. I'm OK with that. I'm mechanically inclined, have the Service Manuals, and am prepared to see how it plays out. At this time two years from now, the tank could be trouble free or sold. Let's find out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Yes and yes, into a boxed sided trailer. The tank will be on skids and lifted with the tractor. There are several filling areas here where I can fill it.

Last edited:

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
SOLTRON (NOT startron) to treat for bio growth, it designed for costal areas with high moisture.

Stanadyne to stabilize.

NAPA has both
NAPA never had them on the shelf. They will both be there when I stop in today. Gotta love them, their quick. 👍

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
One thing that helps is a barometric vent, it controls air in and out.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
One thing that helps is a barometric vent, it controls air in and out.
For the time being all I have is a 3/8" nipple and a cap held on with stainless tie-wire. So the cap doesn't dissappear.

Today I plotted two 4"×6"×28s with their radius and made the cradle stands and temp fastened the 1/16"×2" straps into place. Now I need to find four round rod t-bolts to go through a bend (hole) in the strap while at the same time go through the 6" height of the cradle to suck the tank down so it stays there. After that I plan two pieces of 1/4"×2" flatbar from leg to leg with a hole on each end and a slight upward bend for lifting eyes. The flatbar will also hold the span distance set in the cradle.

Sometimes living out in the sticks is a headache when I need things....sigh.

Last edited: