Diesel Prices

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Man I am bummed, went to get a couple cans of fuel for the beast,,
OFF ROAD ,,,you know the red stuff,, 4 buck a gallon:eek::eek: need less to say I only got 1 can, I don;t know how more of this we can handle I pitty the guy trying to make a living with his tractor these days

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
You didn't count the cost of the fuel to go get the fuel; it costs to make trips, so I wait and combine. It makes for a harried trip to town, though- so many places to go and take care of this or that. But, it is what it is- when it costs $6 or $7 just to run to the grocery store, you either do without, or you make your trips count.
I have a friend who is disabled/schizoeffective, and he lives 30 miles away. He has no job, nothing to do, and he is always calling because he wants me to come visit, or bring a tool and fix something for him, or take him somewhere. He doesn't understand that it adds up to a 60 mile trip, and costs substantial money. I go to see him every couple of weeks, but I just can't do it two or three times a week.

seanbarr

Equipment
B7100DT (sold) - Branson 3520H
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
That's what I'm trying to tell my WIFE that! Our little town's 5 miles away and the city is 25 miles away. I consistently nudge her to combine runs into one trip especially when she drives her expedition. My father-in-law would have no issues driving 50 miles round trip just so he can walk in the mall or crank the furnace up to 75 while keeping the bedroom window open in the winter at night. :eek:

I'm not a tightwad, I just don't like waste. (sigh)

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
That is one of the reasons we sold my dad's 2500 Chevy after the accident. 60 mile round trip 5+ days a week to school at 14mpg? Not gonna happen. My little Tacoma does most everything I need a truck for and gets 28-30mpg reliably. Also why I liked the idea of the little two cylinder diesel though with all the money we've spent in parts..... :)

dieseldude

Sep 21, 2012
Baltimore, MD
About all I can say about fuel prices is that 75 - 80 dollars a week just to drive back and forth to work is really getting old. If it wasn't for having to haul tools around i think I'd have to ride a bicycle.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Yall are crying the blues about fuel in your cars and toys. Think about the trucking companies out there that haul for a living and their costs. I know about 2 years ago when I was in a tractor trailer the bossman was spending about $55,000 A MONTH in diesel fuel for a small fleet of about 25 trucks.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Yall are crying the blues about fuel in your cars and toys. Think about the trucking companies out there that haul for a living and their costs. I know about 2 years ago when I was in a tractor trailer the bossman was spending about $55,000 A MONTH in diesel fuel for a small fleet of about 25 trucks.
That is passed on to the customer, though. I can't get anybody to pay for my fuel.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
We just had our storage tanks filled a couple of weeks ago; sure hate to see the bill on that; gotta have it though.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
We just had our storage tanks filled a couple of weeks ago; sure hate to see the bill on that; gotta have it though.
I've often wondered- would it pay/be prudent to fill a storage tank with summer blend diesel, that way during the winter you could have the good stuff? Can you add enough additive to keep it from gelling? I can really tell a difference in my truck with winter blend.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I wonder if you could cheat and put the diesel in a metal storage tank and stick a magnetic block heater to it and keep the diesel toasty warm so it doesn't gell up.