Did anyone go from a zero turn to a Kubota BX for mowing?

AtlasCustom

Equipment
BX1880
Jan 20, 2019
Youngsville
I’ve currently got a Scag Freedom Z, but it only does one thing, and I need some more help around the farm. I have a Case IH 55A cab for the large stuff, but it’s too big to run the blower for leaves or aerator in the fall in my yard.

I picked up a 2018 BX1880 with MMM and loader recently and am testing it out. Obviously it does more stuff than the Scag, and doesn’t really take too much more time to mow my yard than the Scag does, but it does not seem to mow “quite” as well. I realize a tractor with mower is a comprise over a dedicated mowing machine, but the Kubota should be able to at least keep up I’d guess.

Anyone else gone from a zero to a BX, and if so what are your thoughts?

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I went from cutting the lawn with a BX22 to a ZTR machine. I wouldn't ever want to cut grass with the tractor any time soon.

Reactions: 1 users

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I did the opposite, but not with a BX. I kept my fields rough cut with my old John Deere tractor and 6 ft rotary cutter. I bought a ZD1011 with 54" deck last year and it will run circles around any tractor as long as the grass is not too tall, and I kept my fields cut using it. I would not replace a tractor for regular lawn cutting over a zero turn, as long as the machine is a capable one.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
My BX23S with belly mower cuts real nice! It looks like the golf course when Im done. Maybe you need to check your deck for level? Check tire pressure. Also run the mower deck at pto speed!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Didn't want the MMM for my BX23S 3 years ago,still don't. HUGE cost for that option AND I'd have to remove the loader and BH everytime to cut grass. I prefer 'dedicated' machines.The older I get, the less I want(or can) crawl under machines to hookup/remove 'stuff'.
To each his own... but consider, if you have an 'all-in-one' and it breaksdown, HOW does the grass get cut ?

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
I went from a 6 foot Gravely ZTR with the 25HP Kubota back to a Ford 4000 with a 7 foot finishing mower. I enjoy going a little slower with out all of the bounce.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
If you can have both there is no question which one you would mow with. But if you can only have one, the BX is the obvious choice since a ztr is a one trick pony.

Reactions: 3 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I’ve currently got a Scag Freedom Z, but it only does one thing, and I need some more help around the farm. I have a Case IH 55A cab for the large stuff, but it’s too big to run the blower for leaves or aerator in the fall in my yard.

I picked up a 2018 BX1880 with MMM and loader recently and am testing it out. Obviously it does more stuff than the Scag, and doesn’t really take too much more time to mow my yard than the Scag does, but it does not seem to mow “quite” as well. I realize a tractor with mower is a comprise over a dedicated mowing machine, but the Kubota should be able to at least keep up I’d guess.

Anyone else gone from a zero to a BX, and if so what are your thoughts?
Has the MMM been serviced recently? Are the blades sharp and balanced, is the deck correctly set up for the specific cutting height, is the belt good, are the pulley bearings good, are they greased, is the RPM optimal, is tire pressure correct etc?

I don't take any pleasure in saying that I've been using a BX with MMM for the past four years to cut a few acres but only serviced the mower deck for the first time this year. I've pumped grease into the fittings and sharpened the blades as best I could without removing them, but I did a complete service this year which included removing, sharpening and balancing the three blades, changing the oil in the gear box, removing and inspecting the belt, pumping grease into all the fittings, checking the bearings, checking all the bolts/nuts and making sure that the deck is properly leveled.

Last edited:

Parrothead127

Equipment
L2501 with FEL
Apr 3, 2021
East of Atlanta
I went from a 16 hp MF diesel with a 5’ finish mower to a Toro z turn. I just got a L2501 w/ FEL Monday. I really considered a BX with MMM before settling on the L. Having said all that, I’d go back to a tractor for cutting grass in a New York minute. It’s a lot more relaxing to me, that z turn beats the crap out of me the tractor was much smoother although a lot slower.

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
I have mowed with both. At my previous house that had a 1 acre lawn I used a Simplicity zero turn. It did a great job mowing and was faster mowing than the BX/MMM I have now but it was a one trick pony. My new place is 5 acres and has a lot more upkeep/projects than just mowing and weed eating. That is why I picked the BX over the zero turn for it. It takes a little longer to mow (though not a ton more) and I can do so much more with it. Put in food plots, clear brush, till a larger garden, plow snow, level/grade areas etc etc.

For me the added utility of the BX is huge and definitely worth the trade off on time/cut quality (which isn't much in my experience).

If $$ wasn't an issue I would have a zero turn to mow and a tractor for all the other stuff, but overall I am happy with the utility of the BX. Putting on the MMM isn't terrible but I do kinda wish I didn't have to get on the ground to attach and disconnect it.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Jeremy, you probably wouldn't be opposed to having a zero turn and more then on tractor, would you? 😁

We started with a B6100 to mow with after using a Sears 10 HP rider for a couple of years on 3 acres. Then sold the B6100 and got a zero turn, but other tractors were in the stable by then.

I do disagree with the idea that the zero turn doesn't out mow a tractor type mower by "not a ton more" when it comes to time.

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
Jeremy, you probably wouldn't be opposed to having a zero turn and more then on tractor, would you? 😁

We started with a B6100 to mow with after using a Sears 10 HP rider for a couple of years on 3 acres. Then sold the B6100 and got a zero turn, but other tractors were in the stable by then.

I do disagree with the idea that the zero turn doesn't out mow a tractor type mower by "not a ton more" when it comes to time.
Definitely wouldn't be apposed to a zero turn and a tractor. Gotta get a barn built first though. I am already running low on storage space.

Time wise I have quite a bit of just open space that I mow, so I don't spend a lot of time having to turn/go around things. In my experience the zero turn is very helpful when having a lot of stuff to go around. Both are a huge upgrade from from the old Craftsman rider I started with at the 1 acre property.

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
OP: Keep them both.
I have a Toro Timecutter, I appreciate the speed and agility in getting my 1.75 acres done fast.
I'm not sad at all I never got the MMM for my BX23S.

Bota2230

Equipment
Bx2230
Apr 30, 2021
Quakertown pa
Good morning folks, I mow 25 acres and have zero turn and 2 bx2230 60” decks. I am going to the other side of the spectrum with refueling. I get 8hrs of mowing with 5 gallons of fuel with the bota’s and 3 hrs on 5 gallons on gas power. Plus I can keep up speed with bota’s when the grass is high. I personally take my diesel bota’s any day of the week. I hope this helps.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
OK, I have to ask, how long does it take you to mow 25 ACRES of grass ? I couldn't stand doing ONE acre,even with the ZTR I'd joysticked. Turned the grass over, converted to veggies.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Good morning folks, I mow 25 acres and have zero turn and 2 bx2230 60” decks. I am going to the other side of the spectrum with refueling. I get 8hrs of mowing with 5 gallons of fuel with the bota’s and 3 hrs on 5 gallons on gas power. Plus I can keep up speed with bota’s when the grass is high. I personally take my diesel bota’s any day of the week. I hope this helps.
Ever think about pulling a Swisher behind the Bota? This would reduce the cutting time a great deal if there are open areas. I used a Swisher behind a Wheel Horse and I learned to use the Swisher to trim around things better then the tractor alone.

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
Ever think about pulling a Swisher behind the Bota? This would reduce the cutting time a great deal if there are open areas. I used a Swisher behind a Wheel Horse and I learned to use the Swisher to trim around things better then the tractor alone.

Just curious. How would towing a Swisher behind the tractor cut mowing time? Are you able to off set the Swisher so that you have a larger overall deck width when combined with the 60" deck on the tractor?

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Just curious. How would towing a Swisher behind the tractor cut mowing time? Are you able to off set the Swisher so that you have a larger overall deck width when combined with the 60" deck on the tractor?
They are made to run behind or offset. At 25 acres the overall time savings would be significant.

At 3 mph and 10% overlap a 60 inch mower cuts 1.64 acres per hour.
At 3 mph and 10% overlap a 110 inch mower cuts 3.00 acres per hour. I used 60 inches plus 60 inches minus 10 inches as overlap between the machines of 10 inches. There is the 10% overlap for each pass in the calculations.

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
They are made to run behind or offset. At 25 acres the overall time savings would be significant.

At 3 mph and 10% overlap a 60 inch mower cuts 1.64 acres per hour.
At 3 mph and 10% overlap a 110 inch mower cuts 3.00 acres per hour. I used 60 inches plus 60 inches minus 10 inches as overlap between the machines of 10 inches. There is the 10% overlap for each pass in the calculations.
Okay. Running them offset to to almost double the pass width would really cut time.

I only have about 2-3 acres I mow so I will just stick with my 60" MMM

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
I'm curious. How long does it take to mow that 25 acres with the tractor. In my experience, I can mow twice as much in the same time with my ztr (54" cut) than I can with a bx (60" mmm), and the ztr cuts better when the grass is high or thick. Cutting my mow time in half on 3 acres was priceless, I couldn't imagine the savings on 25 acres. I'm guessing your bx cuts much better than the one I was using (an older bx25).