Diagmaster Phyton

alaskasmitty

Equipment
SVL95-2S,ZD1210, M4700,RTV900, L4610, F3060
Sep 19, 2018
HANA, HI
I know that the Diagmaster kit is only available to licensed dealers Have any of you guys out there used or seen ones advertised on the internet through places like specdiag.com or aliexpress. I know these kits are coming from outside America, but it shows the Kubota Diagmaster software and supposedly the right cables. This proprietary nonsense is BS. We are in a rural area of Hawaii and had to pay $600-$800 just to get them to come out and clear a code. The guy was here like 15 min. Any thoughts or experiences

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Clear a code? Wow, am I ever glad I'm running older technology where such things are unheard of. Sounds very painful and expensive.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I don't think any of the Knock off digimasters will work on the newer equipment, but I haven't heard much about them lately.

And wow your dealer is a rip off artist... Did they have to fly the tech in from the mainland? :rolleyes:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
The system is probably very limited. Local truck shop next to our shop had an after market set up for John Deere. I happened to have a licensed copy of the John Deere service advisor supplied by our John Deere engine supplier and actually went through the John Deere classes and had my own dealer login.

Anywho, my lap top had to be sent in to our tech department due to Deere switching to a internet based software program. So the lap top needed the old software removed and the new software installed.

I replaced an egr valve on one of our 300hp Deere engines and needed to calibrate it. Knowing they had Deere software, I walked next door and borrowed there "box" figuring it would save us a couple hundred bucks and a 60 mile round trip hauling it up to the Deere dealer that wouldn't rob us blind.

The "top of the line" after market Deere software ended up being a code reader. You could read and clear codes. Couldn't calibrate anything, clean the egr valve, run any sensor tests, read any of the sensors, or set up payloads.

After returning there box and explaining what I saw with it, they pulled out there other aftermarket diagnostic tools and we checked them out. A few of the other engine manufacturers boxes allowed you to run a few simple tests and read the sensors "manifold temp, fuel temp, ect....), but couldn't calibrate anything, program injectors, or update payloads.

They spent about $800 for this tool box with a fold out display in the lid and required 110 power. For $300 they could have gotten a Murphy box which plugged into the same port in the wiring harness, got it's power from that same plug, and is about the size of a smart phone. The cable for its a little cumbersome but takes up about the same amount space when coiled up. So I just use a couple bread ties to keep it contained. I keep it in my service truck to clear codes out in the field to avoid nusance service calls from the random idiot mistaking stored codes for an active fault at 2am and having to have it "fixed" right that minute.

Edit: After rereading your post, the aftermarket would probably work for you. My best advise would be to call and talk to the seller to verify what it will and won't do just to cover your booty. If your looking to just clear codes, they may have something available at a more economical price.

Last edited:

xmikew

Equipment
L1500DT
Apr 15, 2017
Charleston
Wow. The drive to Hana is long but good grief. Looks like the dealer is probably 2 hours away?

Is there not a way to reset the system without software? Hold down x button while turning key and patting your head kind of thing? If not - I guess I’ll always be sticking to older tractors. :/ At least as long as I can.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Python is outdated and no longer supported.

Diagmaster is proprietary. The reason for it is because with the dealer version, changes can be made that may affect emissions. In some cases, some changes made by those who don't know what they're doing can also burn engine parts. Thus, "dealer only" is done to protect the ignorant consumer. Not everyone's ignorant, though, quite the contrary-some could easily write their own software to do what's needed. It's only a matter of time til someone does make a "code scanner".

alaskasmitty

Equipment
SVL95-2S,ZD1210, M4700,RTV900, L4610, F3060
Sep 19, 2018
HANA, HI
Re: Diagmaster Python

Just so you'll understand my town is like a 5 to 6hourround trip. The road is a windy 15 mph average road. It has over 50 one lane bridges. I not really mad at the dealer. I mean here in Hawaii Labor rates are over $100 per hr. I'm just mad at Kubota for not allowing a system that's not available to bigger shops and commercial operations like we have here at Hana Ranch. and making a system where you can't even just clear codes

OlFerguson

Equipment
4440, 1120D
Jun 1, 2017
Canada
Python is outdated and no longer supported.

Diagmaster is proprietary. The reason for it is because with the dealer version, changes can be made that may affect emissions. In some cases, some changes made by those who don't know what they're doing can also burn engine parts. Thus, "dealer only" is done to protect the ignorant consumer. Not everyone's ignorant, though, quite the contrary-some could easily write their own software to do what's needed. It's only a matter of time til someone does make a "code scanner".

Definetly would be nice to have one as an owner, to figure out what error codes are being thrown in my tier 3 machine. They advertise them on the kubota site, but you're not able to purchase them which makes a guy lose his mind. I get where the dealer is coming from, but if it burned up more parts, that would mean more sales for kubota, its a win win. But seriously, for the serious farmer, its a pain in the ass.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
someone I spoke with recently tried some kind of knockoff diagmaster.

it's just that a knockoff, and it's a scam. You can't do anything with it but look at it sitting there as an inanimate object that you just spent money on.

I think Deere was in a suit over this kinda deal, about their software being proprietary or something? I don't know. I don't deal with Deere much outside an occasional lawn mower. Was there an outcome? Is the outcome going to be further reaching than just Deere?

One problem with Kubota was that not all of their equipment uses the same connector, they all use OBD II coding but they don't all use the same diag connector, or didn't when I was doing work at the dealer. I thought that was stupid but hey, what do I know as a peon grease monkey? Nobody listens to a greasy mechanic....

So an opportunity became available in October to leave Kubota and go to work for a powersports dealer, which I took advantage of. The reason I left Kubota was because of Kubota's stupid crap that they're forcing the dealers to do, like ASE style certifications--and most of the dealers aren't offering any incentives to the techs to use their own personal time to get this stuff done-or they weren't for our little dealer. Basically they told me I had to do it on my own time. After all, the hours of training are simply exhausting particularly for a tech that has a family; we work 9 hours a day 5 days a week, Sundays are church and family day, so that leaves ONE day for getting things done; in the off-season. A lot of techs prefer to work 6 days at 9hrs, and many are on-call especially those that sell/service hay equipment in this area. You can't get any online training done in that amount of time. But Kubota forces them to do it, however they can, it MUST be done which I am not a fan of. They're also forcing dealers into this and that, which is EXACTLY what Deere was doing 20 years ago, and exactly why the dealer I worked for at the time dumped Deere and went with Kubota exclusively. Now that Kubota's doing the same things, I decided it was in my best interest to get out while I could. As a consumer, you don't often see this kind of thing--but you will sooner or later. I would imagine that you'll start seeing lower end equipment being sold at big box stores at some point. Just like Deere did.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
@lugbolt

Dunno how old you are, but trust me, the longer you work for a large corporation, the worse it gets. The only reason I don't quit is because I'm too close to full retirement, but early retirement gets more and more attractive every day. Seems counterproductive to me to brow beat experienced people so you can use their qualifications to toot your horn rather than nurture them and capitalize on their experience through repeat quality service, but what do I know. No large corporation is going to invest in the bottom tier of their structure. If you're not management or an employee with a brown ring around your neck, you're not ever going to have peace. I see a lot of pyramids standing on their points. Between me and the CEO of my employer, there are 12 layers of management, each of which has increasingly larger staff and underlings that do absolutely jack to contribute to the bottom line. We have 8 people in our office. We are the top line, and the bottom line. But they don't see it that way. Myopic decisions by people that have never done this job before are the norm rather than the exception. But that's how you lean out and Six Sigma a lucrative business right into the dirt.

I could beat that dead horse for a while. In summary, though:

1. No good deed goes unpunished.
  2. If you're happy, don't tell anyone, especially at work. Someone will fix that problem.
  3. If you're unhappy, the beatings will continue until your morale improves.
  4. If you do a little more than is expected of you every day, soon, more will be expected of you.
  5. Keep doing more and more with less and less until you can do everything with nothing.
  6. If you're training the new guy, he's probably your replacement at half your salary and none of your experience or education.
  7. If #6 is true, you're probably being watched because your billable time just drooped to train your replacement.
  8. That light is not the end of the tunnel. It's the train.
Think happy thoughts, though.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
.... Myopic decisions by people that have never done this job before are the norm rather than the exception. But that's how you lean out and Six Sigma a lucrative business right into the dirt..
LOL.... Six Sigma!
That silly system was introduced at my last employer ( a jet aircraft simulation training outfit at DFW airport)... Anyone who has not undergone “Six Sigma” torture don’t know how happy they are!
It was described by one of my co-workers as a method whereby management could form a focus-group on “how to select which size styrofoam coffee cups should be utilized in the break-room”... and several new management positions would be created to manage the Six Sigma Study-Group.
In our particualar case, the PRODUCT of our company was ”Flight Training” and the Instructors and Pilot Examiners are the workers who turned out the actual work-product...and who had ZERO tasks to-which Six Sigma would apply. But the top-heavy administration required all 1500 employees at that location to undergo Six Sigma... a course the parent company sent SixSigma instructors from Montreal to Dallas to conduct. After two weeks of listening to lectures and watching videos which had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the work we instructors and examiners performed (aircraft systems, performance, abnormal/emergency procedures, and piloting skills).. I finally got my pre-framed graduation certificate. whoopee.

I went to the lunchroom and as I left the cafeteria-line and walked into the dining-room I was looking about to select a table-seat... when a young lady (whom I took to be a new flight-training client looking for a lunch-partner....... and remembering our company policy encouraged instructor/examiner interaction to Welcome new clients.... I greeted her and accepted her invitation to sit at her table to enjoy lunch.
“Hi, I’m George Horn, How are you?... and Where are you from?” , I asked.
”Hello, I’m Nora Smith, I’m from Winnipeg.”
“OH”, I responded,...” are you here for training?”
”Yes”, she said.... then , “What have you been doing this morning?”
“Oh,... I’ve been in a Six Sigma class all week... but this afternoon I’ll be back in the simulator with clients.”
“Which Simulator?”, she asked.
”Citation Ten”, I responded.
”What was Six Sigma like?”, she asked.

“Total waste of time!”, I said.
”OH?... how so?”, she said.
“Well... this company has just spent a fortune and taken 35 full-time, paid instructors off-line to sit through lectures and videos that have absolutely nothing to do with our jobs... Not only that, Our written company policy actually prohibits instructors from conducting the activities promote in that silly program..... I have a hard time understanding our headquarters up in Montreal could be so wasteful of employee resources. I’t’s been a complete waste of two weeks time for us.”, I explained..... and then I continued, “What airplane are you here to train on?”

She responded, “I’m here for training ...but not on an airplane.... I’m from company headquarters... I’m the Six Sigma Training Manager.”

(Where is that emoticon with a foot-in-the-mouth....). ??? :mad:

LOL. At least I never had to do that again..... the next year they replaced Six Sigma with TQM. LOL

No instructors were required to attend.

The following year it was some other “Give them the Pickle!” training from an outfit whose Top Lecturer...on day FOUR.... introduced herself to the next group of employees for the day by saying... “Well, I’m still not sure what your company does..... but I’m here to help you improve doing it.”
If I were “lecturing” someone on how to improve...by day FOUR I’d at LEAST know what it is they do.
Company management continues to this day to throw many many thou$and$ away like that.

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Old paint--

I can relate to every single aspect of what you described of corporate working.

The first 26 years were challenging, but at least the business owner-my boss-was one that lifted you up when you needed it, AND when you LEAST needed it. Good guy and I dearly miss working for him. At 75 years young, he hung it up and sold the company to that corporation. One thing I'll never forget was a christmas card I got from the boss (owner) and his wife, hand written "thank you for being an asset to the company"--and a decent Christmas bonus. The bonus wasn't expected, and I didn't really need it but what they wrote in the card meant more than the money did. Way more.

Day one of the takeover, I realized quickly that the owners (corp owners) were typical corporation, and that I didn't want to work for them. Day two, they brought in the GM, which I new of when he worked at another dealership--and one of my friends worked for him, until one day he, too had enough and left. So I knew "of" him for 2 1/2 years, and it didn't get any less difficult working for him, if anything more so. I told the service manager, and texted the GM and got no response from the GM, he never said a single word to me in the 2 weeks I stayed, until an hour before closing time, "load your crap and get out of here".

I saw verbal abuse, I saw and heard extreme aggression with abuse from the GM directed toward other employees, I saw drunkenness on the job, I saw aggression toward customers. But what really sent me over the edge? Sexual harassment, and not only directly toward the receptionist, but indirectly toward the young lady that works her butt off in parts (who is as sweet as could be), and also toward myself. I could have had a legal hayday with the company, but that is unlike anything I would ever do. Big boss couldn't care less, and yes he needed to know. I may not have done anything legally, but morally, I won't forget--if anyone were to ask, they'll know.

But as you said, corporate. The more you do for them the more they expect out of you and I figured that out quick. So I quit trying especially in the hot summer in that HOT oven of a shop, so they'd expect a little less. That worked, except my customer base saw that too.

Fact is, I don't work there no more, my shop coworker says he's on his way out (after 13 years) and the other 2 techs already left within a week of my leaving. I'm glad I'm out of there, hated the facility, hated the bosses, and absolutely enjoy the new job even with IT'S challenges. Good bunch of guys I work with, and best of all air conditioned and heated shop. The Irony? My old coworker over there....came into the place I work at now to talk to the boss about employment. Boy, I bet if he agrees to come on over, the old boss is going to be FUMING. But he'll get over it after a few drinks.

OlFerguson

Equipment
4440, 1120D
Jun 1, 2017
Canada
Interesting to read your responses. I've never worked for a shop in my life and it gives a guy some insight...

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I didn't really work for a shop, per se. I worked for GE in industrial field services until they sold us to ABB in 2018. That announcement was our Christmas bonus for 2017. It's the only Christmas bonus I ever got from GE. Unfortunately, we brought all the management with us that created the problem that got us sold, and replaced the local manager that couldn't find his arse with both hands. Nothing really changed for nearly 3 years until ABB could actually take full control of it. When they did, it got worse. The only positive action I've seen, is that they finally dumped our local manager at the first of the year. But not until an office that had 26 field engineers and 2 technicians was reduced to 2 engineers and 6 technicians. Sadly, he was never supposed to be offered the position that he used to completely decimate the best team of engineers that I ever worked with. But once the offer went out, HR was too chicken s**t to admit they made a mistake and withdraw the job offer. Management doesn't make mistakes. Now all those guys are gone, we're still expected to make the same budgets. Umm, not gonna happen. Of course, that'll be our fault, too.