Deer Fencing

The_Al

Equipment
L3540, Heavy duty FEL, 9' bachoe, Brush hog, 72" grappler
Jul 19, 2013
MA
Hello all,

I am looking to install an 7.5" Deer fencing in one of my small gardens ~150x100, and wondered if anyone has suggestions on where to purchase from? I am in MA, but would not mind buying online.

I will need a couple of gates (say 7-8' wide) to get into for the tractor on the coop, and I would like it to look reasonably nice as this garden is pretty close to the house (a couple hundred feet away).

Thanks for your input

Al

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I don't know where in Mass you are located, but try Wellscroft Fencing in Harrisville, NH. www.wellscroft.com They have a lot of stuff and are located between Manchester and Keene, NH of rt101.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
You don't need 7.5 foot fence. A 4 to 5 ft with a white rope strung along the top of it, then 2 feet out from that set a row of poles with another white rope across the top of the poles. Don't even need fence on the other set of poles. The 2 ropes cause a "spaciaul" depth perception for the deer and they won't jump over it.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
There is a guy around here that has a Xmas tree farm,, and his deer fence is 4 feet high, but he trains his deer to stay away from the fence,,,,, I though the same thing HUH :confused: how the duce do you train a deer to stay away from the fence..
He uses an electric fence charger one of the big ones like the Burner,, and he will run around the fence all summer long once or twice a week hanging tin pie plates smeared with peanut butter on the hot line,, and then goes home and turns it on,,, He says, that after the deer get hammered a few times licking off the peanut butter smeared on the tin pie plate hanging off the hot wire,, they stay away from the fence. He claims he has been doing it for 30 years and hasn't lost trees to deer since he started..
I don't know if it really works, but I do have some killer deer recipes;)

WingNut

Equipment
L2850 Kubota c/w Loader
Feb 29, 2012
Northern Ontario
X2 on the electric fence.
Cattle and horses learn pretty quick to stay away from an electric, so I'd think deer would learn pretty quick as well.
Plus would be alot cheaper.

psvines

Equipment
BX2660
Aug 23, 2013
Earlysville, VA
Hello all,

I am looking to install an 7.5" Deer fencing in one of my small gardens ~150x100, and wondered if anyone has suggestions on where to purchase from? I am in MA, but would not mind buying online.

Al
I have been completely satisfied with my 20x40 deer fence purchased from bennersgardens.com; deer will graze all around the garden but never attempt to enter. There are deer in the yard every day!

The_Al

Equipment
Jul 19, 2013
MA
I don't know where in Mass you are located, but try Wellscroft Fencing in Harrisville, NH. www.wellscroft.com They have a lot of stuff and are located between Manchester and Keene, NH of rt101.
I went with the great folks at Wellscroft and built a three wire electric fence system. Getting ~9kV out of the 1g unit, which is pretty good. Thanks for the advice.

Al

The_Al

Equipment
Jul 19, 2013
MA
Had this little bugger walk up behind me a little while ago. seen your post, thought it was fitting:D
Oh yeah, but it is not the little ones I am worried about, those suckers could prob slide right through the fence like a limbo game.

On another note I am having bunny issues (not the California kind) and was thinking of putting up an 18" fence in-front of the electric fence. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks again

Al

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Oh yeah, but it is not the little ones I am worried about, those suckers could prob slide right through the fence like a limbo game.

On another note I am having bunny issues (not the California kind) and was thinking of putting up an 18" fence in-front of the electric fence. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks again

Al
If your electric fence is high enough you could always attach the wire to the bottom of the posts. Neighbor uses 1 strand of fishing line about 3 1/2 feet off the ground to keep the deer out. Works good for them since the other neighbor has a deer feeder. They walk into the fishing line but can't see it so they won't go over it. Other neighbor makes a spray out of jalapenos peppers, and some other stuff. i got the recipe, will post tonight to keep bunnys and bugs out of her veggies

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
There is a guy around here that has a Xmas tree farm,, and his deer fence is 4 feet high, but he trains his deer to stay away from the fence,,,,, I though the same thing HUH :confused: how the duce do you train a deer to stay away from the fence..
He uses an electric fence charger one of the big ones like the Burner,, and he will run around the fence all summer long once or twice a week hanging tin pie plates smeared with peanut butter on the hot line,, and then goes home and turns it on,,, He says, that after the deer get hammered a few times licking off the peanut butter smeared on the tin pie plate hanging off the hot wire,, they stay away from the fence. He claims he has been doing it for 30 years and hasn't lost trees to deer since he started..
I don't know if it really works, but I do have some killer deer recipes;)
skeets,

I would loooove to the see the deer's reaction to the licking the peanut butter on the hot line.....dayum that's got to get your attention quick~!

Got a buddy of mine that wizzed on a electrical fence one time, now I cannot even think about that........

But getting back to the topic, the double fence type setup is a good one, the deer will not jump over something ifn it sees something else in the way right behind the first one.

Those dayum deer will eat any and everything! I had brand new silver maple trees they ate every #@$#@ leave off of !!!!

I do have a home solution that works very well if YOU can stand the smell, get a spray container, an egg, some milk and water........shaken and leave out in sun, spray..........deer will leave that stuff alone....until the rain comes.
Human urine works very well too, it too smells like hell...........

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Those dayum deer will eat any and everything! I had brand new silver maple trees they ate every #@$#@ leave off of !!!!

Yeah tell me about it,,, I had tents made out of chicken wire, covering over about 50 sweet potato slips, (I spent 3 months growing and nursing them along till they were big enough to plant), just to keep them things out until they got big enough,,, **!##&%&*()!)__!@#$& 4 footed&^^%#%^ santa hauling *^^^$^&!@)$ critters pushed the fence tents out of the way they pushed hard enough to pull the stakes I had out of the ground, and ate every plant! Another reason I don't plant any more strawberries they ate them roots and all

phaser

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100HST 4x4, FEL, field mower
Aug 6, 2013
Oregon
There was a fellow we knew who spent his career in the forest service. His solution for keeping deer out of the garden was very simple, effective and very inexpensive.

A simple 5' wire fence, and at the top of each post he installed 4' long pieces of wood, angled at 45 degrees extending out and away and to this attached several strands of heavy string all the around this portion of the fence.

He stated that deer walk up to a barrier and there is an overhang, when they look up and see this, they won't attempt to jump over.

I tried to make an illustration but it didn't translate well in this post, but I hope I conveyed the idea.

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Here's the recipe for repelling the critters from your garden. Mix half a cup of jalapenos and habenero peppers, (hotter the better) 1/2 a cup dried cayenne pepper, in a pot with a gallon of water. Keep the pot covered or it will run you out of the house. ;)Boil for an 1/2 hour. Let cool and strain off the solids. Put in a spray bottle and soak the plants top to bottom until it runs off. My neighbor swears by it

The_Al

Equipment
Jul 19, 2013
MA
I already have the Electric Fence up, but the bunnies are just crawling under it. I could put a lower wire, but that will mean more shorts quicker (lower to the ground, plants, etc.).

I wonder if there is a way to put a small 18" fence around it. Anyone think this will keep them out (little critters)?

I do the spray, and the apple drops on the fence. I am up to trying things to keep these suckers out.

Thanks

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Theres some stuff i got at tsc last year to get a skunk out from under my sun room it's called repels-all. It basicaly granulated wolf and fox urin. After i blew that stuff under the porch the skunk moved on. Course the porch stunk for a week but it sure beat bathing the dogs every day :)

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Theres some stuff i got at tsc last year to get a skunk out from under my sun room it's called repels-all. It basicaly granulated wolf and fox urin. After i blew that stuff under the porch the skunk moved on. Course the porch stunk for a week but it sure beat bathing the dogs every day :)
Now that is one way to piss off a skunk! :cool::D

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Now that is one way to piss off a skunk! :cool::D
Wouldn't have been bad if the dogs would have just killed it like they did the male. Since it was female, all they wanted to do was sniff it's butt:eek::p:D