Debris on top of mower deck

Semicrazy

Equipment
BX 2360, loader, bagger, trencher, 3 point plow blade, 3 point hitch receiver
Jul 20, 2017
Franklin, Ky.
The mower deck on my BX2360 is constantly getting loaded up with mowing debris kicked out from under the front edge of the deck. I've tried lowering the front edge of the deck two holes on the front rollers, but still have a mess on top of the deck and packed in around the pulleys after mowing. Short of lowering the deck to the point where the front edge is almost dragging the ground, does anyone have any ideas on how to remedy this issue? Oh, and I might mention that the deck is clean underneath and that the baffles behind the blades are in perfect condition also, with no dings or dents.:confused:

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
Dont mow.

Both my B and my BX get dirty mowing. Blow it off after each session and it never really accumulates.

Semicrazy

Equipment
Jul 20, 2017
Franklin, Ky.
Well, with a 3 acre yard plus other areas to mow outside of my yard that I mow out of "self defense" (as in no one else will), not mowing is not an option. Sometimes I do stop mid mow and blow the debris off. We had a Honda yard tractor many moons ago that actually had the debris catch fire while my wife was mowing while I was out trucking. Don't need that happening to the 'Bota. That could get a bit pricey. I was just hoping someone had figured out a way to rectify the problem.

Last edited:

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
A leaf-blower is a GREAT way to clean off your mower and tractor after a mowing-session.

Many years ago, I used to use garden-hose.... but this leads to rust and failed-bearings. (water intrusion just before putting tractor away for the day.)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Well, with a 3 acre yard plus other areas to mow outside of my yard that I mow out of "self defense" (as in no one else will).
You mow a lot of territory.

I'm not proud of it (and am not really recommending it), but I took the pulley covers off my deck long ago. Still have them when/if needed.

I don't have youngsters around, and I'm the only operator.

Does make clean-up (and service) easier.

gmbc

Equipment
B2650HSDC ,bucket, Forks, Front Snow blower, MMM, Tiller, Land Rake
Mar 11, 2016
Dundurn, Saskatchewan, Canada
Yeah, I have a B2650 and it fills up too. I take the pulley gaurds off and clean out after each session. It is a pain but have to do that rather than damaging a belt and have to change.
Sure finding out lots owning tractor for first time. Lots to spend on

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I'm not proud of it (and am not really recommending it), but I took the pulley covers off my deck long ago

Yes yes I know, :eek: mine too also fell off long ago,, But do make cleaning the remnants of 5 acres out as well . leaf blower works really well and you can get everything underneath with it as well put the deck down and have at it

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Have you changed the blades to a high lift type?
How long between mowings? How high are you cutting your grass?
The only time this ever happens to me is when I wait too long to cut and the grass is over the top of he deck.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
You mow a lot of territory.

I'm not proud of it (and am not really recommending it), but I took the pulley covers off my deck long ago. Still have them when/if needed.

I don't have youngsters around, and I'm the only operator.

Does make clean-up (and service) easier.
You can fabricate screen type covers out of hardware cloth with a large enough mesh to use a hose or blower on the deck after cutting. Keeps fingers out and allows cleaning.

Semicrazy

Equipment
Jul 20, 2017
Franklin, Ky.
So, basically, there is no cure for eliminating the collection of debris on the deck. Guess I'll just have to experiment with some rubber belting and see if I can fab something that will simply block the debris from blowing out from under the front of the deck as I did on another piece of equipment I previously owned. I suspect that the stamped deck has something to do with the problem. A fab deck with right angle sides seems to not have as much of an issue with this, like the one on my wifes Simplicity zero turn (and yes, she has her own mower:D).

coachgrd

Equipment
BX 1870
Aug 1, 2017
Waterford, PA
A leaf-blower is a GREAT way to clean off your mower and tractor after a mowing-session.
Sometimes I overlook the simplest solutions. Thanks for this idea, it never occurred to me.

Now I just have to figure out a way to get the dog poop off the tires before putting it in the garage. Know matter how thoroughly I run the crap sweeper (ie shovel);) I still run over a pile or two. Stuff reeks up the garage if I don't hit the tires with a hose.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Sometimes I overlook the simplest solutions. Thanks for this idea, it never occurred to me.

Now I just have to figure out a way to get the dog poop off the tires before putting it in the garage. Know matter how thoroughly I run the crap sweeper (ie shovel);) I still run over a pile or two. Stuff reeks up the garage if I don't hit the tires with a hose.
As I read this this morning, I find it humorous. Only in America can someone buy a $20,000 tractor to mow their luscious green lawn that surrounds their home and not know how to get the grass seeds and dog crap off their equipment!!!:D:D

The rest of the world is just glad to have a place to sleep. We have way too much discretionary income and time to spare.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
"The rest of the world is just glad to have a place to sleep. We have way too much discretionary income and time to spare."

and we are lazy, and b!tch too much, and watch too much news about what our fearless leader is doing or not doing.....

I am with you Len, the more we as americans tune in, the more we find fault in what is happening around us! We ought to be glad we have what we have and how we have it!
From our better half, to the laces in our shoes - life could be so much worse!;)

coachgrd

Equipment
BX 1870
Aug 1, 2017
Waterford, PA
As I read this this morning, I find it humorous. Only in America can someone buy a $20,000 tractor to mow their luscious green lawn that surrounds their home and not know how to get the grass seeds and dog crap off their equipment!!!:D:D

The rest of the world is just glad to have a place to sleep. We have way too much discretionary income and time to spare.
I could probably deal with the dog crap on the tires, but there's a Mrs. that can't.:D

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Coachgrd, I wasn't making any comment about your particular situation. I understand the smell in a contained area. It just struck me as humorous as to what we do/don't do.

Please take no offense. I helped a friend give some calves some shots yesterday. When I got home I took my boots and held them under the hydrant!!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Hummmm I have to put my boots inthe back of the truck when I go to help down at the sheep farm. But dog,, man sometimes it will turn your tummy inside out:eek:

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
I have an 18 volt battery operated blower I use to clean off my mower after each use. takes like 3 minutes and she is ready for next time.

The little blower is one of my most useful tools. I use it for many things. Blowing out back of truck, back porch daily, front porch, carport, house air filter weekly, shop floor and the list goes on. Best $75.00 I have spent in years, no more brooms outside.

coachgrd

Equipment
BX 1870
Aug 1, 2017
Waterford, PA
Coachgrd, I wasn't making any comment about your particular situation. I understand the smell in a contained area. It just struck me as humorous as to what we do/don't do.

Please take no offense. I helped a friend give some calves some shots yesterday. When I got home I took my boots and held them under the hydrant!!
No offense taken! I understood what you were getting at. Have a good weekend!