Day One List

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I'm going to take this thread slightly off topic, but it is related to spinning pto shafts. My B2650HSDC has a bad seat switch that would have to be taken back to the dealer to have it diagnosed to be replaced under warranty. I have no way to get my tractor back to the dealer to have this done, so I have disconnected the seat switch to enable it to not shut down due to a bad switch. Since I put my snowblower on I have been trying to figure out how I can make my tractor safe again with having it shut down if I get off the seat. I would think that I would be smart enough to shut off the pto before getting out of the tractor, but with all of the above comments I need to be sure it can not happen to me.

I know what I am about to do would not be approved by Kubota, but I know it will keep my tractor running with a disconnected seat switch, but shut it down if the pto shaft is spinning and I get out of the tractor. My plan is to install a magnetic switch on the door of the cab, using the seat switch circuit, so if I open the door with the pto running, it will open the circuit for the seat switch and shut down the tractor. This solution will only work on a cab tractor, but I can see no down side to my solution to making my tractor safe again having the pto engaged. Kubota, if you are reading this, you can use my solution to fix your bad seat switch design. I have heard many comments on this forum regarding bad seat swiches, so it is an ongoing problem. I won't even charge you for using my idea.
Deep woods, what is your seat switch doing? I have had troubles with seat switches on both my tractors, I guess they are set up for people weighing 200 lbs. In the case of my B2650 HSDC they even replaced it under warranty. Still acts up especially in cold weather. I was considering defeating it, but after tech put snowblower on today, I went back to tucking padding under the velcro'd pad that holds the sensor. I get tired, cold, and hungry snowblowing, and it would be too easy to forget, hop out to open or close a gate in the dark, and slip and fall on the pto shaft.

Various shaped pads placed over or under the pad in the middle of the seat might solve your problem. I have cardboard on the L tractor and cardboard and a piece of styrofoam on the B 2650.

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
Deep woods, what is your seat switch doing? I have had troubles with seat switches on both my tractors, I guess they are set up for people weighing 200 lbs. In the case of my B2650 HSDC they even replaced it under warranty. Still acts up especially in cold weather. I was considering defeating it, but after tech put snowblower on today, I went back to tucking padding under the velcro'd pad that holds the sensor. I get tired, cold, and hungry snowblowing, and it would be too easy to forget, hop out to open or close a gate in the dark, and slip and fall on the pto shaft.

Various shaped pads placed over or under the pad in the middle of the seat might solve your problem. I have cardboard on the L tractor and cardboard and a piece of styrofoam on the B 2650.
Sheepfarmer, the seat switch is causing my tractor to stall out when I push down on the treadle pedal in either forward or reverse. It doesn't happen everytime, but often enough that just trying to move the tractor out of the garage, it will stall 5-6 times before clearing the garage door. I have done enough trouble shooting to know that in fact it is the seat switch causing it to stall. I weigh 200 pounds, and have tried shifting my weight in the seat, and on several instances, can get it to work. It is only a temporary solution and I have been running my tractor with the seat switch bypassed and have not had one instance of the tractor stalling with it bypassed. My idea of installing a magnetic switch on the door will do everything the seat switch does if it were working, but will not fail due to shifting weight on the seat. I was going to take the seat apart to try to repair the switch, but I feel installing a door switch will take less time and be more reliable. And as you mentioned, even having it replaced under warranty, which I could also do, still gives me the same type of switch that could be problematic in the future. When I get around to installing the switch, I will start a new post to show the final results. My concerns were the same as you, I might forget to disengage the pto, get out my tractor with the snowblower auger still turning and have a bad experience.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Sheepfarmer, the seat switch is causing my tractor to stall out when I push down on the treadle pedal in either forward or reverse. It doesn't happen everytime, but often enough that just trying to move the tractor out of the garage, it will stall 5-6 times before clearing the garage door. I have done enough trouble shooting to know that in fact it is the seat switch causing it to stall. I weigh 200 pounds, and have tried shifting my weight in the seat, and on several instances, can get it to work. It is only a temporary solution and I have been running my tractor with the seat switch bypassed and have not had one instance of the tractor stalling with it bypassed. My idea of installing a magnetic switch on the door will do everything the seat switch does if it were working, but will not fail due to shifting weight on the seat. I was going to take the seat apart to try to repair the switch, but I feel installing a door switch will take less time and be more reliable. And as you mentioned, even having it replaced under warranty, which I could also do, still gives me the same type of switch that could be problematic in the future. When I get around to installing the switch, I will start a new post to show the final results. My concerns were the same as you, I might forget to disengage the pto, get out my tractor with the snowblower auger still turning and have a bad experience.
Ok, that is the same thing as mine does. You don't have to take the seat apart to see the sensor part. The middle section of the seat is a hinged piece that is held in place with velcro. You can pull it loose and look at the back and see a thin plastic layer with an H shaped design in it. There is something about it that makes it fussy about how you sit on it and whether or not it is cold. Mine will die 3 or 4 times getting going and then is fine for the rest of the time I am mowing or snow blowing. I have a new piece of styrofoam under it, we'll see if that works. The first winter I had it I sat on the styrofoam, and it was fine. Your door idea would be good, beyond my electrical skills though.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Do yourself a favour and get out the torque wrench and check all your wheel nuts, loader nuts/bolts, climb all around and under your tractor and make sure all the fasteners are connected. It's a good way to get to know your machine.

Reactions: 1 user

JimsF

Equipment
Kubota LX2610, LA535 FEL, BH77 Backhoe, 20’ Utility trailer
Sep 15, 2020
NH
Well I can only validate everything said about the FEL ... I just rec’vd my LX2610 and have already run into the well casing (FEL was up and blocked my view) and carved the lawn while going up hill (FEL too low). Still getting to know my machine and fortunately no major damage yet ...

Reactions: 2 users

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Only thing I can add to the list of great advice you have already received is don’t forget to wear your mask...just so your wife doesn’t see that huge smile you can’t wipe off your face when you get in the seat of your new toy, no tool that’s it 😂 congrats and safe tractoring 👍

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
What else needs to be on the list?
Guys. I wanted to share this website with everyone here. From what I understand this is a non-profit that sells PTO shields at a GREAT price--between $67-$93 delivered. I have ordered from them and they are top quality shields.

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I would first drive it around a bit. Probably would not do any work immediately.

Then if it were warmer, I would grab a chair and a beer, and facing the tractor just enjoy the view for a while. I believe you said this is your first tractor.

Remember, each first time only happens once in a lifetime! ;)

Reactions: 1 users