Dark oil

t&j

Equipment
LX2610
Apr 18, 2023
Spirit lake Idaho
I did the 50 hr. Oil change and am at the 100 hr. mark and the oil seems to be darker then I would expect. Normal or Not?

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
When I do an oil change, I think the new oil is black after 10 minutes of running.

Reactions: 4 users

FreezinGator

Equipment
BX1500 LA181 FEL 48MMM Back blade
Jul 10, 2020
Upstate NY
Diesel oil gets dark faster than gasoline engine oil. I was surprised at first too. As long as you are using the correct weight diesel oil made for diesel engines you are good.

Reactions: 1 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I concur with the above....perfectly normal on diesel engines.

GBJeffOH

Equipment
L4060, EA Grapple, 6' LP Brush Hog, 8' snow plow, 6' LP tiller, EA Forks, Spraye
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio
I did the 50 hr. Oil change and am at the 100 hr. mark and the oil seems to be darker then I would expect. Normal or Not?
On my L3540 and my ZD1211 the oil gets dark real quick.

My L4060HSTC with 100 hours on the oil it is not real dark yet. My theory is the tractors with emission control have less ring blow by.

Reactions: 1 user

retired farmer

Equipment
tractor, loader, cutter, blade
May 25, 2020
sheridan
An old friend of mine, whom survived being a tail gunner in WWII, was an old time diesel mechanic one told me that diesels make oil, thus turning crank case oil black real quick. That was probably true for older diesels before regins, dps and all that crap.
rr

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
An old friend of mine, whom survived being a tail gunner in WWII, was an old time diesel mechanic one told me that diesels make oil, thus turning crank case oil black real quick. That was probably true for older diesels before regins, dps and all that crap.
rr
I think you will find the newer engines with regen is far worse. Making oil is simply dilution of the motor oil with diesel fuel, engines that push the extra fuel thru the cylinders to regen causes oil dilution and black oil. The clowns that turn the air black with their deleted emission systems usually have cleaner oil.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
I swear I could do an oil change and then drain without running the engine and the oil would be coal black. Life with a diesel.

• Haha

Seane1987

Equipment
LX2610SU TLB, BX2350
Jul 18, 2021
Lafayette NY
Any engine with EGR will have black engine oil relatively quickly after an oil change. Most of the engines that I work on daily have no problems with fuel dilution (cummins and detroit). I am sure kubota is similar. A non EGR engine will keep the oil "looking" cleaner. An oil sample is the only real way to tell oil quality, I have seen some really crummy looking oil samples come back with better results than oil that looks good. The engines I see daily can have jet black oil almost immediately after it goes in and gets run to recheck the level.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I did an oil change at 73-74 hours and the machine now has 78 hours.

Like Texas Tea now. Black as a vampire bat. 🦇

LOL

Dat's life !

t&j

Equipment
LX2610
Apr 18, 2023
Spirit lake Idaho
I think you will find the newer engines with regen is far worse. Making oil is simply dilution of the motor oil with diesel fuel, engines that push the extra fuel thru the cylinders to regen causes oil dilution and black oil. The clowns that turn the air black with their deleted emission systems usually have cleaner oil.
Any engine with EGR will have black engine oil relatively quickly after an oil change. Most of the engines that I work on daily have no problems with fuel dilution (cummins and detroit). I am sure kubota is similar. A non EGR engine will keep the oil "looking" cleaner. An oil sample is the only real way to tell oil quality, I have seen some really crummy looking oil samples come back with better results than oil that looks good. The engines I see daily can have jet black oil almost immediately after it goes in and gets run to recheck the level.
I have an LX2610, so I'm under the hp requiring re-gen. First time owning a diesel. Thanks for info.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
the diesel engine creates soot. Some of it gets by the rings which is normal. Then it sits in the bottom of the pan, also normal. Draining it won't get all that stuff out. So when you put new oil in, it mixes up with the stuff laying in the bottom and then you get black oil. Perfectly normal. Only remedy is to pull the oil pan off and wipe it out which IMO ain't even worth doing.

t&j

Equipment
LX2610
Apr 18, 2023
Spirit lake Idaho
the diesel engine creates soot. Some of it gets by the rings which is normal. Then it sits in the bottom of the pan, also normal. Draining it won't get all that stuff out. So when you put new oil in, it mixes up with the stuff laying in the bottom and then you get black oil. Perfectly normal. Only remedy is to pull the oil pan off and wipe it out which IMO ain't even worth doing.
That makes sense, it's hard enough getting the oil filters off in such tight space. Oil pan can stay on. Thanks for the information