Danica Patrick on female drivers

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
well she is right... guys ARE better at the physical stuff and being able to concentrate on ONE task better than women.
what I'd like to see is all the 'spotters' OUT of the races !

Countrylife

Equipment
L235, RTV 900
May 12, 2022
East Texas
I worked for a company where our site was male dominated - something like 4 women out of 100 employees. The CEO of the company sent a team around for sensitivity training. When they were finished at the end of the day, one of the women got up and told them they were full of c---p and if the women didn't have thick enough skin to deal with the guys then they shouldn't be in this profession.

Note: We were a close knit team and everyone got along well with each other and our site was recognized as above average in the entire company. The woman who got up and gave her opinion was also in the top 20% of our site and had a few more things to say about the "training". Her comment did send ripples all the way up to the corporate offices, but nothing ever came of it other than a half hour site meeting to say we were kinda hard on the trainers.

So, yes, Danica is right, and her comment applies in many other fields and not just in racing.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Depends.

I'm a professional (part time) drag racer

the ladies....they are TOUGH. Great competitors.

Ms. Patrick has some valid points though and I do use some of them to my competitive advantage, as does every other male competitor. But with what we are doing (bracket racing) reaction time is everything, and it seems like the ladies are a little bit tougher on the tree than us guys are.

The great thing, before the race we are all friends. During the 1 minute of race, we are enemies. Afterwards? Hugs and congratulations. Except Ms. Patrick, she's sour the entire time.

I met her in 2009. 2009 was an interesting and exciting year for me. My friend invited me to Florida, first time Iv'e been. Saw almost the entire state from key west to the panhandle, missed out on some of the NE Florida area. Spent 6 days driving all over the place. A month later we drove to Indy to watch the 500 qualifying. (I think it was 2009, I may be wrong). We had VIP passes, as my friend is good friends with some of the higher-ups and quite a few of the drivers, crew chiefs, owners, and track officials. Well I was sitting up in the bleachers right near the pit entrance to gasoline alley. There was a group of girls, I say girls some of them were older women, they were all standing there waiting for Danica to come back into the pit after a qualifying run. She pulls in, jumps out and throws the helmet back at one of the crew, then walks off. The girls (about 40 of them?) were all asking for autographs through the fence. Danica walks over, and of course the cameras came with her, and one of the camera crew people started asking why she was upset. She turned on the camera guy, holding an autograph picture, saying something to the effect of this is the worst car I've ever driven and the crew needs to rethink putting a body into such a dangerous car, then threw the picture back at one of the younger girls and stormed off. Later on, she had some choice words for one of the older women who were standing there in the pit area, looking for autographs, of which I won't repeat. The lady wanting an autograph was a cancer survivor, about age 60 is my guess. Her husband died in February of that year. Her name was Lynn, lived in Illinois--we talked for a good while in the museum earlier in the day. Unprofessional? Yes. I understand being competitive and sometimes that affects how you interact with people, but I also understand professionalism in that caliber of motorsports. One doesn't publicly dis the team on national TV, and one doesnt say things to fans, and expect to survive as a "professional". The end of that season revealed what I had suspected, sponsors pulled out. Couple years later she tried nascar, and failed at that as well. Some might say even getting into the show is a success and I'll go along with that, however there are a lot of ways to get into that show and she knew how to push those buttons. Publicity. People knew her. Some of us know/knew a lot more.

I can say with certainty that even in my profession which is completely different but still racing, when people show up at the pit wanting pictures, we take pictures with a smile. When kids want to rub on the car, we walk around it and talk about it. Sometimes they even want to sit in the seat, that really gets their brains going. The parents love it, I love it, the kids just eat it up. We don't turn people away, even if I'm having a bad day, I'll still talk to them while working but I just can't spend a whole lot of time with em. Those days suck. Thankfully those aren't common. I'm no longer sponsored, and am slowing down considerably but I still enjoy it, and I think the most important part is interacting with the other folks that are either competing or just spectating. That's one of the beauties of drag racing, most of the time your entry fee is a pit pass so you can get up close and personal with drivers and crew and vehicles. Unfortunately our sport is dying, and I'm sorry to say this, but it's in part due to our leaders' attack on the sport and way of life. Just read that Heartland (Topeka) is closing, and they left a statement that spelled out why. A lot of us suspected it anyway, but the statement drove home the reasons why, and it was of no fault of the owners; rather city leaders attack.

Reactions: 1 user

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
1320 racing is the largest producer of greenhouse gasses, according to expert.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
if you look at exhaust gas emissions alone, a lot of us drag racers are much cleaner than nascar and others. We use a different fuel. Well a lot of us do. Our fuel burns cleaner than gasoline. WAY cleaner.

Now the fuel classes, not so much, as they're burning Nitromethane. That stuff is kind of nasty and you have to use a lot of it. There aren't many nitro racers in the usa so the amount of pollution is again minuscule in the grand scheme.

but alas, they want our sport to die as do some of you.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Everyone in America could switch to driving electric and it wouldn't put a dent into what China emits in 24 hours.
A good friend talks about going to the drags in Virginia and how up close and friendly you get to the drivers and teams.
I don't remember exactly what Richard Petty said about Danica , I'm sure someone can find it , but I believe he said she'd crash a baby carriage...or something like that..it wasn't good.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Back in the 80's 1st 'oil crunch'..someone 'did the math', and worked out that you could run the entire NASCAR season and do LESS pollution than flying ONE NFL team to their games....

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Back in the 80's 1st 'oil crunch'..someone 'did the math', and worked out that you could run the entire NASCAR season and do LESS pollution than flying ONE NFL team to their games....
And probably less than the US Climate Czar. 🙄

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
like most sports ,cost to 'play' is a big factor...

I never understood 'bracket' racing, always figured fastest guy should get the checkered flag.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
like most sports ,cost to 'play' is a big factor...

I never understood 'bracket' racing, always figured fastest guy should get the checkered flag.

Still the same principle...

except if you get there first and go faster than your dial in, you lose. Unless the other car "breaks out" more then you win

it's actually pretty simple, yet what people don't understand or don't "want" to understand is that bracket racing introduces several more ways to lose the race than "heads up" style. Instead of being 50 ways to lose, now you have hundreds. Elimination of some of the variables is where success starts showing up.

it's much more of a mental game, than a "spend more to win" game.

I won last weekend at the local race. In my daily driver. I don't usually race it, but it was hot, it's got better a/c than my truck does, and I didn't feel like dragging the other car up there on the trailer. Lazy I guess. Little ecoboost isn't fast and in comparison to the race car, quite boring but it still took the win. Just gotta use the brain a whole lot more than runnin heads' up.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
1320 racing is a very small segment, in the grand scheme. You have two cars on the track at once, instead of 40+. Those two cars, a lot of them are using Methanol for fuel, burns real clean in comparison to the Sunoco green E-15 that crashcar uses.