Danger! Stop using your bx (and other models)

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
Well, I just made my last payment and received a letter today.
Thought it was to inform me the tractor is all mine!?

But no, it is about a bad reserve cap on the coolant system.
And a warning.

“STOP using your affected machine until it is fixed!”

Now they want me to wait for them to mail out a part!

Has anyone had a problem with overheating?

It has been years without an overheat problem.

Ray

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
It's easy to check, just pop off the radiator overflow tank cap (yellow), pull it off the hose, see if it's open by holding up to light, or blow through it. If it's not open, drill it out.

My 11xxx serial BX was fine.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I got the letter today, I checked my cap, it seems possible to pass air, albeit with some resistance.
According to the letter, no replacements are available and once they are, they will mail them with replacement instructions to all affected users. Or your 'trained dealer' can service you old cap for you if you bring your unit in....:eek:
Is there a pool going on to see how long it takes for the caps to be made and sent? I want 05/01/2019.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Our dealer had 2 caps in stock. I reserve them for people who're getting the letter, trade them out, modify their old cap and offer them to others who are willing to accept. Some aren't-and that's understandable.

I've inspected 194 tractors/mowers as of today and about 30 had defective caps. Easy to fix but you have to know what you're doing.

Visually you usually can't see the problem-unless you know specifically what to look for, and I think the letter somewhat spells it out.

You have to run a rod or bit down the hole and if you can't see it from the other side, it's defective and needs attention-or replacement. Attention meaning repair it but again you have to be careful with it as it's really easy to damage it beyond repair and since new ones are not available yet, it adds insult to injury. Yes I've done it. I had to ruin one cap to figure out that they're really soft and easily "rern't"-southern talk.

By the way (EDIT) the "issue" usually doesn't directly result in overheating, as it has to do with the coolant reserve (or "burp") tank. The issue is that coolant can't freely flow from the radiator during expansion and it won't flow BACK to the radiator as it cools off, which could "contribute" to an overheating issue.

Last edited:

Howling

Equipment
BX2370
Feb 5, 2016
Ayer, MA
Mine was partially blocked. Slow and gentle with drill bit from both directions cleaned it out. If you are not careful would be real easy to drill through and ruin the cap.

thedevilyoulove

Equipment
L3901 HST with LA525 FEL, Land Pride RCF2572, pallet forks, 3 pt carry all
Jan 27, 2016
Woodbine, Maryland
I have not received this letter on my L3901. I have changed the coolant and didn't encounter any issues.

shiraz627

Equipment
BX23S Piranha toothbar, Underarmor, PFL1242 pallet forks, BXpanded thumb, ripper
Aug 1, 2018
Kingsland. GA
Mine was partially blocked. Slow and gentle with drill bit from both directions cleaned it out. If you are not careful would be real easy to drill through and ruin the cap.
I pushed my little screwdriver right though the end. It's very thin plastic, at least the cap will not blow off! The problem appears to be mainly from the bottom side. Somebody dropped the ball big time but overall I'm not to concerned.

Michigankubota

Equipment
B2650 Loader,LX 2980-64 Blower ,60”MMM , Land Pride 60”Box Blade.
Oct 17, 2018
Bessemer, Western U.P.
Great site!
I checked mine with a bright flash light and it was obvious mine was only partially open. I took a 11/16 (I believe) drill bit, by hand and spun it until I seen it come to the bottom side. Very very easy to do by hand. Do not use any type of power tool. Like stated above you will ruin your cap.
I bought my BX2670 second hand with 110 hours. I called Kubota to have it register to me and they directed me the dealer had to enter my info, as to which my dealer was lost when I called them. ***128530;

Last edited:

dalola

Equipment
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
Removed - incorrect information.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Dalola, how ever the coolant gets to the overflow tank is how it returns to the radiator when the temperature changes. You should not be having to top of your radiator on a regular basis.

dalola

Equipment
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
Removed - incorrect information.

Last edited:

Michigankubota

Equipment
B2650 Loader,LX 2980-64 Blower ,60”MMM , Land Pride 60”Box Blade.
Oct 17, 2018
Bessemer, Western U.P.
On the bottom of the BX expansion tank is where the line comes from the top of the radiator. The line on the cap of the expansion tank is for over flow out of the tank only.

Coolant flows back and fourth from the radiator to the expansion tank. (Via the bottom hose) This is the same system our vehicles use.

dalola

Equipment
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
On the bottom of the BX expansion tank is where the line comes from the top of the radiator. The line on the cap of the expansion tank is for over flow out of the tank only.

Coolant flows back and fourth from the radiator to the expansion tank. (Via the bottom hose) This is the same system our vehicles use.
Sure enough, should've looked a little closer! Thanks for clarifying. (previous posts edited)

Last edited:

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
I checked mine and while I have no blockage I can see how there would be an issue.

The caps are injection molded from two opposite sides. I had a small amount of die flash where the cap nipple goes into the overflow hose. Not too difficult to envision some die flash clogging the nipple passage.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
I checked mine today and indeed it was partially blocked.

I cleaned it up with a drillbit and a small end mill

All better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro